FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Making a better slip bobber  (Read 5103 times)

abishop

Re: Making a better slip bobber
« Reply #15 on: Sep 22, 2016, 03:15 AM »
It helps to lubricate the line with saliva before you try and slide the string stopper.
done that

bigr

« Reply #16 on: Sep 22, 2016, 04:57 AM »
As far as ties go I use a string type that my neighbor makes. Don't know what type on line he uses but it slides easily and doesn't loosen. It also is thick enough after tightening I don't need a bead even with the larger opening of a rivet. I've been using the same stops all summer. The string has some kind of wax or something on it. He sells them to some local shops  in Wabash and surrounding counties. They're called Bob's Ties.

princecraft

« Reply #17 on: Sep 22, 2016, 05:59 AM »
I also use Stan's bobbers and always had the problem of groves in the bottom of the bobber.  I got the idea of using a rivet about 10 years ago.  Now my bobbers last forever.  I was surprised to see Stans are now putting something similar in the bottom of there bobbers.  Haven't had the need to buy one yet because mine last forever. 

abishop

« Reply #18 on: Sep 22, 2016, 06:42 PM »
I also use Stan's bobbers and always had the problem of groves in the bottom of the bobber.  I got the idea of using a rivet about 10 years ago.  Now my bobbers last forever.  I was surprised to see Stans are now putting something similar in the bottom of there bobbers.  Haven't had the need to buy one yet because mine last forever. 
I have never had a problem with groves in the bottom of the bobber ever. Just lucky I guess. Don't see how you could get that problem??? Maybe you are catching bigger fish.

princecraft

« Reply #19 on: Sep 23, 2016, 07:27 AM »
I have never had a problem with groves in the bottom of the bobber ever. Just lucky I guess. Don't see how you could get that problem??? Maybe you are catching bigger fish.
I use 2 and 4 lb test.  It doesn't happen fishing anything above 4 lb. test.

princecraft

« Reply #20 on: Sep 23, 2016, 07:33 AM »
that happens when you fish 5 days a week. lol
I am lucky to get out 2 days a week.  My wife broke her leg last October and I hadn't fished since then until just recently.  She is finally starting to walk on her own again and I felt comfortable leaving her alone.  I did get out 3 days this week and it sure felt good getting out again.

iceman10

« Reply #21 on: Sep 24, 2016, 09:15 AM »
So which style of stans does everyone use ? I prefer the cigar style . I haven't seen the new style with the steel removable insert , do all the styles now have it ? I have used these for a long time and they last long time as Princecraft said .

abishop

« Reply #22 on: Sep 25, 2016, 04:52 PM »
So which style of stans does everyone use ? I prefer the cigar style . I haven't seen the new style with the steel removable insert , do all the styles now have it ? I have used these for a long time and they last long time as Princecraft said .
I have only used the larger ones. Thinking about picking a couple of the smaller ones for gill fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.