FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: OLD GIRL OUT,NEED YOUNGER ONE  (Read 4079 times)

UglyStik

Re: OLD GIRL OUT,NEED YOUNGER ONE
« Reply #15 on: Sep 20, 2016, 02:53 PM »
rugburn you can get  alcohol free gas all over now
True.
I think his point was that gas is very different today than it was back then. Ethanol aside, there was leaded, unleaded, we now have summer and winter blends that effect the evaporation rate, and MTBE and other additives they have invented to stretch it out.

How bout this:

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #16 on: Sep 20, 2016, 03:52 PM »
True.
I think his point was that gas is very different today than it was back then. Ethanol aside, there was leaded, unleaded, we now have summer and winter blends that effect the evaporation rate, and MTBE and other additives they have invented to stretch it out.

How bout this:

that is a real nice gas top,did  american gas also had a white gas??/
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #17 on: Sep 20, 2016, 03:59 PM »
rugburn you can get  alcohol free gas all over now

It's still not like our old unleaded gas. It's yellowish in color, and doesn't smell the same. When I saw the gas in Newfoundland it jogged my memory.   :wacko:

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 20, 2016, 05:06 PM »
number one since 1976  the clean air act banned lead in gas ...oh I remember the out cry  however  the need for a 50,000 mile valve job was gone and cars that only lasted 100,000 miles were now getting over 200,000 ...our acid rain  came down and  even birth defects that where linked to lead  came down and  air got cleaner ....all and all it was a good trade.....

now as far as  ethanol  nope it sucks and was a political  deal  bush threw on us so he could carry the corn states .....and I'm a  rep  before you  jump on me, it's cost us all  carb rebuilds  and frustration and money ......I can't fix any of that and neither can you ...I can  recommend  that you spend a few extra dollars use  ethanol free gas in any carbureted motor  ........... and listen to your dealers advice

white  gas is a term used for naphtha or  lantern fuel .....or it is used for  pure gasoline with no additives at all

you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #19 on: Sep 20, 2016, 05:50 PM »
Face it, things change. My 1984 Johnson 30 runs just fine on today's gas. I've had it for 20+ years. I don't mind the corn belt getting support. In fact, I don't mind any farmer getting the support they should get. Better than sending the
dollars overseas.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #20 on: Sep 20, 2016, 06:25 PM »
 Sorry to hijack your thread Rat, nice motors guys! I don't mind fiddling with the old carbs, but some of the newer ones on small motors are now stamped out disposables. Things are changing.

UglyStik

« Reply #21 on: Sep 20, 2016, 07:53 PM »
that is a real nice gas top,did  american gas also had a white gas??/
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
The lamp is not mine Rat, wish it was. I posted the lamp to show an example of fuel used back in the day (a little before my time too). White gas was unleaded I believe, leaded was bad for outboards. I think it was different from lantern, stove or Coleman fuel, but they were also called white gas. I am guessing It would probably be really really bad to put either coleman fuel or leaded fuel in an outboard, maybe someone with knowlege can chime in and verify that. But it is unlikely for either to happen, they don't make leaded anymore do they? and coleman fuel aint cheap so it would be not probable any of us tightwads would use it. :)
Anyway, cool Seahorse Rat. Hang on to it and keep it running and keep the battle tested petina on it.   ;D Also enjoy that smooth new 4 stroke, you will not miss adding oil to your gas!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #22 on: Sep 21, 2016, 04:37 AM »
There's a marine shop in my area that used to have rows of those old Seahorses and British Seagulls. He had quite a collection. My first outboard was a Seahorse. 5 hp I think on a 10' aluminum boat that resembled a tank without tracks.

Dad would let me run around the cove in front of our cottage. The two points at the ends of the cove were my boundaries. I'd fill the tank and putt around in loops till I had to row her back in. There was a flag on shore that he would raise if I was wanted immediately......like for supper ;D

That was a couple years ago ::)

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

IFF

« Reply #23 on: Sep 21, 2016, 06:56 AM »
A couple Rg  ::)  Sounds more like a lifetime.  like kids playing out after dark.
*¿*  Bud

mudchuck

« Reply #24 on: Sep 21, 2016, 07:46 AM »
You could try aviation gas, if you can find it, it still has lead in some formulas since they cannot take it out because it's a safety thing...not like a plane is going to pull over to the curb when the carb starts sputtering, right.
Expensive stuff though.
Even the 100LL (100 octane low lead) has plenty of lead in it. dye is blue. I think they still make an 87 octane version dye is red. 120 is green.
i used to run it in my car and motorcycle back in the 80's and outboard mixed fuel motor loved it too. 1/2 a tank of 100LL and the rest was 87 from the pump.
Can tell ya that if I ran it straight up 100LL, the car loved it so much it ran wicked hot and the spark plugs couldn't handle it, needed to change them often. Those old V8's purred, but the downside was overheating and burn through plugs.
Motorcycle liked it but needed to lean out the carb to run smooth.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #25 on: Sep 21, 2016, 08:00 AM »
you don't want to use  lead gas in any  car that has  a  catalytic converter....you can still get blue fuel at  airports for  small planes , you don't want to get caught on the road with it in your car or bike
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.