FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Potato Creek hybrid stripers  (Read 2985 times)

MC_angler

Potato Creek hybrid stripers
« on: Sep 23, 2016, 09:51 AM »
Hey all, just FYI - since the first stocking of hybrid stripers in Worster Lake in 2011, these fish have taken off

I haven't heard much about them, and I think not many folks are taking advantage. It is in the midst of being surveyed by DNR District 1 biologists, and they have found a ton of wipers out there. They sampled fish up to 28 inches and 10 pounds. That is fast growth, and there are a bunch of good fish in the 3-7 pound range.

fishcrazy

Re: Potato Creek hybrid stripers
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2016, 09:30 AM »
Thanks for the insider info MC.  I have caught a few nice ones and seen many caught by bass fishermen .  I think I will make an effort to target them this fall.  One more week to vacation just have to balance fishing and bow hunting. Hopefully I will have some fresh fish and venison tenderloin to share

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2016, 04:38 PM »
Just keep in mind they are not a good catch and release fish in warm water. It kills many of them even if not right away.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Jig_Head

« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2016, 04:46 AM »
Man they're fun to catch

bigr

« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2016, 03:12 PM »
Is now a good time? Would you suggest trolling or casting. Never been on Worster but love catching hybrids. Would it be worth the 1 1/4 hr dr.

MC_angler

« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2016, 04:43 PM »
I haven't been out there to fish them, but they are often more easy to find when there is a thermocline. But I know people get on them in the fall too, especially when they are chasing baitfish on the surface

I would say trolling is easier to cover more water and have more lines out. But have a rod rigged up for casting if you see them busting the surface.

Electric-only kinda makes things a bit difficult for running over to get on a school before the action dies

Bputman

« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2016, 08:25 AM »
The best method that I have used to locate then was trolling rods on planer boards running 6'' golden shiners behind an umbrella rig at different depths until you find them, usually we find then around 10-12 foot down in most lakes. We ran Monroe a few years ago and had four on at once and they averaged 10 pounds..talk about hectic. once that school was located we vertically jigged the school until we got our limit to take home. Stripers and Hybrids are not a good catch and release fish in warmer waters and tend to swim away just fine but end up dying later similar to muskie.

fishcrazy

« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2016, 08:41 AM »
Don't expect a wiper bonanza here.  Do expect to visit one of the nicest state parks our state has to offer. Living in the overpopulated nw Corner of the state it is always a stress reliever for me to take that cruise to Potato Creek. Worster Lake is surrounded by state Park and home to bald and osprey eagles and many great blue heron. If you are boating make sure you have the proper lake permit sticker. I buy mine every year along with the annual park pass. Support our local ecology as much as you can afford to..it is vital for the future.   Also  try a carolina rigged bass size minnow and toss it in the rod holder with a popper as a caster for shad boils

Boomer

« Reply #8 on: Sep 27, 2016, 08:49 AM »
I have trolled for hybrids on Monroe and Hardy before.  I have a large spoon like for a northern and attach it to a steel leader with a huge weight on it. (Bought it first at a bait shop near Monroe) It worked. Suppose it would do well just about anywhere you need a poor man's downrigger.  Extreme fun to toss a topwater or a spinner / buzz bait in the jumps. May have to give this a go next year - a little busy right now.

Bputman

« Reply #9 on: Sep 27, 2016, 10:56 AM »
I really want to take one on the fly next spring, I think that would be a blast!

fishcrazy

« Reply #10 on: Sep 29, 2016, 05:11 AM »
Off to Potato Creek state Park. Hope I have a good report on this fall like morning

Gartoon

« Reply #11 on: Sep 29, 2016, 06:40 AM »
Good Luck !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.