FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: stopping stocking in lake ontario of salmon/trout  (Read 5969 times)

oatkasut

stopping stocking in lake ontario of salmon/trout
« on: Sep 28, 2016, 06:45 PM »
I heard that the DEC has curtailed  the stocking of trout/salmon in Lake Ontario because of the lack of alewivies or baitfish. Can anyone confirm this statement?

lowaccord66

Re: stopping stocking in lake ontario of salmon/trout
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2016, 06:49 PM »
Heard from what source?

mcully

« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2016, 07:12 AM »
Syracuse.com has an article that says they are looking at cutting back the numbers of Chinook and lakers to be stocked in 2017. It hasn't been decided yet but US and Canada are working together to come up with a plan. Still stocking just a few less.

bldfrt

« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2016, 10:18 AM »
I heard similar about Lake Michigan here at Indiana with same reasoning. I don't know the specifics or if it's true but I heard it

bshirtd

• If he aint 2 liters throw em back
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2016, 10:42 AM »
It is being talked about over on lake Ontario united site. From what I browsed through there was a meeting a few days ago and from what the numbers suggest stocking efforts have less to do with numbers put in and more to do with weather and lake levels based on a poor stocking class 1 year that still resulted in a banner year of fishing when they grew up.
 My own .02 is we shouldn't be funding a fish that the majority of the population can't enjoy the majority of the year (no boat no salmon till the fall). I wish they would fund that program with stamps instead of the DEC deciding what gets funded and what doesn't.
black shirt defense .... swarm and punish

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2016, 11:05 AM »
It is being talked about over on lake Ontario united site. From what I browsed through there was a meeting a few days ago and from what the numbers suggest stocking efforts have less to do with numbers put in and more to do with weather and lake levels based on a poor stocking class 1 year that still resulted in a banner year of fishing when they grew up.
 My own .02 is we shouldn't be funding a fish that the majority of the population can't enjoy the majority of the year (no boat no salmon till the fall). I wish they would fund that program with stamps instead of the DEC deciding what gets funded and what doesn't.

the salmon fishing  is the only sport fishing that pays for itself  not only  threw  sales  of   sales of fishing licenses but threw motel taxes  ,it creates jobs  from waitressing to tackle shops to  full guide services ...I can't think of any other  fishing that  not only is  fun but has been such a economic boom .....another think the revanew from  the salmon fishing  and  the out of state  licenses has  helped in ever project that the  dec has taken  ...from stocking of small streams  to the attempts to bring back the moose it's helped pay for more dec easements on streams and securing public access ....you got to look at the whole picture ....now  a lot of  fisherman won't ever fish Oneida lake because  they don't live  local or don't have a boat ...should we quit the walleye program??? not all fisherman will enjoy it .... should we stop the reintroduction of the  moose in nys ...i'll never be able to hunt one!

at present Approximately 1.7 million Chinook salmon and 250,000 coho salmon are stocked annually in Lake Ontario and its tributaries by New York State.
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

filetandrelease

« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2016, 11:37 AM »

All I can say is the state doesn't want to lose cash cows
Not sure how many millions Ontario generates but I'm sure it's more than
Little ol Oneida which generates between 15-20 million annually ,

salmonboy41

« Reply #7 on: Sep 29, 2016, 01:29 PM »
the salmon fishing  is the only sport fishing that pays for itself  not only  threw  sales  of   sales of fishing licenses but threw motel taxes  ,it creates jobs  from waitressing to tackle shops to  full guide services ...I can't think of any other  fishing that  not only is  fun but has been such a economic boom .....another think the revanew from  the salmon fishing  and  the out of state  licenses has  helped in ever project that the  dec has taken  ...from stocking of small streams  to the attempts to bring back the moose it's helped pay for more dec easements on streams and securing public access ....you got to look at the whole picture ....now  a lot of  fisherman won't ever fish Oneida lake because  they don't live  local or don't have a boat ...should we quit the walleye program??? not all fisherman will enjoy it .... should we stop the reintroduction of the  moose in nys ...i'll never be able to hunt one!

at present Approximately 1.7 million Chinook salmon and 250,000 coho salmon are stocked annually in Lake Ontario and its tributaries by New York State.

I'm pretty sure that deserves an AMEN!

bshirtd

• If he aint 2 liters throw em back
« Reply #8 on: Sep 29, 2016, 01:29 PM »
the salmon fishing  is the only sport fishing that pays for itself  not only  threw  sales  of   sales of fishing licenses but threw motel taxes  ,it creates jobs  from waitressing to tackle shops to  full guide services ...I can't think of any other  fishing that  not only is  fun but has been such a economic boom .....another think the revanew from  the salmon fishing  and  the out of state  licenses has  helped in ever project that the  dec has taken  ...from stocking of small streams  to the attempts to bring back the moose it's helped pay for more dec easements on streams and securing public access ....you got to look at the whole picture ....now  a lot of  fisherman won't ever fish Oneida lake because  they don't live  local or don't have a boat ...should we quit the walleye program??? not all fisherman will enjoy it .... should we stop the reintroduction of the  moose in nys ...i'll never be able to hunt one!

If it is as much of a cash cow as you claim let the stamp program fund it. Are you telling me the PA hillbillies aren't going to go on their annual fishing trip to NYS because they have to spend $5-$10 on a stamp? I am not disagreeing it doesn't generate some money or that it shouldn't be done. I'm just saying let the people dictate what it gets spent on by purchasing a stamp to target that species. I would without a doubt buy a salmon and trout stamp even though I realistically fish for the overgrown pike bait less than 1/2 a dozen times a year.
black shirt defense .... swarm and punish

trapper2000

« Reply #9 on: Sep 29, 2016, 02:04 PM »
I'm telling you  the salmon program has funded us as outdoorsman we have more now  then we ever did  prior to the salmon program .... and the reason there is  no stamp is simple the   state legislature voted  against it in the past and with  gov coumo working at lower the cost of all license in the state I doubt it will happen .........how ever you are free to write  your elected officals and voice your opinion ,let us know how you make out on that one

filetandrelease

« Reply #10 on: Sep 29, 2016, 02:39 PM »

Hey trap if I'm not mistaken our hunting and fisheries money's also support our  state parks that aren't taking care of themselves , if not enlighten me

trapper2000

« Reply #11 on: Sep 29, 2016, 04:04 PM »
they sure are

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Sep 29, 2016, 04:33 PM »
Well, always the skeptic......show me the money! Where's the actual numbers to back up your claims. What you who live in the salmon country may feel, may not be what is accurate.

You need to substantiate your claims with facts. Then and only then will others buy in.

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #13 on: Sep 29, 2016, 04:53 PM »
what ever you say RG...........

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: Sep 29, 2016, 06:16 PM »
Hey, at this point I agree with bshirtd. Let the out of state fishers pay for it. I'm just an average fisherman who buys his license every year. I pay for my privileges. I applaud the state for trying to encourage fishing opportunities and consequently increase license sales. However, these stocking programs are a financial loser. They always have been and always will be. They benefit the few, not the many.

Spin it any way you like. Show me the numbers and I'll jump on the band wagon.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.