FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing Through the Drought  (Read 4460 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
Fishing Through the Drought
« on: Sep 29, 2016, 12:45 PM »
You have to deal with what Mother Nature does or doesn't send your way, and this summer she sent us precious little rain.  I've been tracking flow rates at 10 watersheds, and since early August, flows have set new records for all-time lows or been darn close to it.   This puts a serious dent in a small stream guy's style.  I didn't get out as much as usual, but did assemble a batch of pics of dry country and even managed to catch a few fish.

Here are some typical streamscapes.   Some are literally bone dry.

It wasn't much better in NY out Syracuse way either.

Thankfully, we didn't have any extended heat waves that really could have fried the fish.  Water temps stayed fairly cool. So, if I could find any amount of flow, the rewards were there. And there were brief exceptions to the drought.....no widespread rain, but real local batches of thunderstorms that would fill a creek for a day or 2.  I watched the flows and found this in Maine in mid-August.

And this trout "meadow" in Central NY around the same time.

The isolated mid-August rain in Maine in particular treated me to non-stop action of nearly 100 brookies over 2 days.  Instant trout.......just have to add water. ;D

Without fail though, the flows quickly retreated.  The game was back to stay low, or stay home.....or at least watch fish wakes after you spooked them.  Here are a few of the customers I managed to dig up.......yeah, at times it was more like mining than fishing.  On the bright side, I have noticed an upturn in wild 'bows after 2-3 years of scarcity.

I never encountered another fishermen, but this guy seemed to take exception to me hanging around.

All action on the 3-weight and dries.

With the onset of fall, I made a trip or 2 to look for bigger trout moving around the river systems.   Found some of these, but no trout.  More flow should help.

I'm concerned about the lack of flows for the brook trout spawn, too.  Let's hope we get a drenching soon.

saltyshores

Re: Fishing Through the Drought
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2016, 01:40 PM »
Those low-water stream photos illustrate the impact of a very dry summer on fish habitat.

What a bunch of fish you caught in 2 days after mid-August rains. Nice going, Jim.

Jim C.

« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2016, 02:05 PM »
Thanks, Rick.

2001 and 2002 were also droughty years, and I noticed an impact on the native brookies for some time after that.  In fact, one brook hasn't been the same since.  But there may be additional factors at work there.

Those low-water stream photos illustrate the impact of a very dry summer on fish habitat.

What a bunch of fish you caught in 2 days after mid-August rains. Nice going, Jim.

filetandrelease

« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2016, 02:56 PM »

Jim I had the same problem with the streams I fish here in NY  , I did put in less time , I truly enjoy the streams
Buy the way great pics

fishbone

« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2016, 03:48 PM »
i am worried---this was a very bad summer----2 in a row will be bad---lets hope for a wet summer in 17

chillywillie

• Team Maine
« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2016, 03:56 PM »
Even the pond fishing has been impacted.  I've not been able to get my boat off the trailer at a few boat launches...

deerhunter

« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2016, 04:46 PM »
those brookies are some nice. im hopin for some good rain for the spawning.

fish wayniac

« Reply #7 on: Sep 29, 2016, 06:40 PM »
Jim, Really pretty trout caught in low water levels.Cool looking water snake also.I hope we get rain soon for the foliage fishing trips of yours.

franklin fisher

« Reply #8 on: Sep 30, 2016, 05:24 AM »
  Good to see some pictures of fish.  Thanks for sharing Jim. 

JDK

« Reply #9 on: Sep 30, 2016, 07:02 AM »
Nice fish

Amazing how low the water is.
# SAND

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 2016, 10:26 AM »
Nicely done Jim.  You have done very well for #'s on the small water despite insanely tough conditions.   

Man I bet that streamlight reel has reeled in a LOT of fish over the years! almost an antique you got there!  ;D

Jim C.

« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2016, 11:54 AM »
I figured you might pick up on that, Randall.  If reel's could talk, there'd be some stories ;D  I keep a lot of old stuff around that's still kicking.....kind of like its owner.

Man I bet that streamlight reel has reeled in a LOT of fish over the years! almost an antique you got there!  ;D

joefishmore

« Reply #12 on: Oct 01, 2016, 03:00 PM »
Loveliest fish in the world,Brookies.
Hs the question of handing Brookies and subsequent removal of the slime layer resulting in fungus growth and death ever been answered ?
I know me and my father caught a lot in a small pond, released them all ,wetting our hands before handling them as was the custom in those days,
and came back 2 days later and there were numerous dead ones with white fungus floating around the edges of the pond.

Jim C.

« Reply #13 on: Oct 01, 2016, 05:13 PM »
Thanks, Joe.

I hope that SaltyShores chimes in on your question.  He's the biologist on here.  As you can see I wet my hands like you did.  My gut reaction is that the white fungus and death you describe would have taken longer than 2 days to take place.  Maybe other factors were in play.  But like I say, I'm no expert.  So I hope the one who is chimes in.

Loveliest fish in the world,Brookies.
Hs the question of handing Brookies and subsequent removal of the slime layer resulting in fungus growth and death ever been answered ?
I know me and my father caught a lot in a small pond, released them all ,wetting our hands before handling them as was the custom in those days,
and came back 2 days later and there were numerous dead ones with white fungus floating around the edges of the pond.

Sawyerjosh

« Reply #14 on: Oct 01, 2016, 06:28 PM »
I hit a brook near me, that was nearly dry a couple weeks ago.  There was a small pool behind a beaver dam and the brookies were stacked up in there!  There were 20-30 'wild' brookies all in the 5-7" range in one pool 10' across

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.