FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: gander mountain losing a customer and starting a boycott  (Read 6218 times)

dsqui

so recently i decided to get a part time job at gander. with goose and ice season right around the i figured a little extra spending money plus a discount would help out a bit on me splurging for new gear as i seem to do every year.  so i got an interview and wow needless to say for 7.45 an hour its no wonder they have trouble finding people who are knowledgeable.  i was actually offended by the offer.  now im not saying i know everything about everything but i know alot about quite a bit nd to a place like this you would think that would mean something.  apparently not and when there is a 100%+ mark up on guns and fishing equipment they could afford to pay there employees alot better that place is always busy but from now on not from me ill just have to have my local bait shop order everything and wait on it from now on even though i know itll cost me quite a bit extra.  its sad to say but McDonalds pays more. this place should be boycotted

princecraft

Re: gander mountain losing a customer and starting a boycott
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2016, 08:55 AM »
I agree with you.

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2016, 10:16 AM »
Most (not all) retail sales in the fishing industry pays little...

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2016, 10:26 AM »
Maybe it had something to do with your writing, punctuation, English, grammar, and literary skills.

;)

fishbone

« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2016, 01:56 PM »
wow thats a fine job offer

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2016, 05:26 PM »
Maybe it had something to do with your writing, punctuation, English, grammar, and literary skills.

;)

OYE!

Try Lowes...they'll hire anyone :-\

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Piggyn

« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 2016, 05:30 PM »
so i got an interview and wow needless to say for 7.45 an hour its no wonder they have trouble finding people who are knowledgeable.

How much did you expect to get paid to tell customers that you don't have what they're looking for?   ;D
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2016, 01:49 AM »
I won't shop at the one in Ft.Wayne if I'm in the area (which isn't often) after they forced taxidermists to pull our stuff out of the store. Refused to give us a reason.

I prefer to support my local bait and tackle stores and a few take in fish for me for a commission anyways.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2016, 01:50 AM »
How much did you expect to get paid to tell customers that you don't have what they're looking for?   ;D

Ain't that the truth! 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Oct 03, 2016, 01:52 AM »
Most (not all) retail sales in the fishing industry pays little...

It's true for all retail actually. And unfortunately this country has become mostly retail and service jobs.

bigr

« Reply #10 on: Oct 03, 2016, 05:26 AM »
I don't support them because they pulled all trapping equipment. They've choose to side with the tree huggers instead of the sportsman. Gander isn't the only one, most the big name stores don't stand behind all of the outdoors activities. I try to support only those that try to supports us. Mom and Pop type shops, made in America, smart conservative businesses. Cost more know but in the long run hopefully the good will survive. Taxi it was because it offended people.

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Oct 03, 2016, 10:27 AM »
I don't support them because they pulled all trapping equipment. They've choose to side with the tree huggers instead of the sportsman. Gander isn't the only one, most the big name stores don't stand behind all of the outdoors activities. I try to support only those that try to supports us. Mom and Pop type shops, made in America, smart conservative businesses. Cost more know but in the long run hopefully the good will survive. Taxi it was because it offended people.

Makes sense bigr. I kind of suspected that.

The OP is right. It's time for many of you to vote with your money.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #12 on: Oct 03, 2016, 02:38 PM »
Does that really surprise anyone?   I was making 7.25/h as sporting goods manager at Wal-Mart in my area for a summer, and I only made 7.00/h when I ran the local bait shop/boat rental/boat launch.    

It is nice that they were offering anything above minimum wage.    thats what they paid the average floor person back when I worked retail.

bigr

« Reply #13 on: Oct 03, 2016, 03:28 PM »
It really shows the greed of corp America. These companys make tons of profit every year but won't pay decent wages or hrs or benefits, most all three. Walmart is the worst of the bunch. These gas stations like speedway village pantry, their employees work hard for nothing while they make record profits.

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Oct 03, 2016, 08:27 PM »
I refuse to shop at Walmart unless I really really have to.

Walmart’s ruling family, the Waltons, has more wealth than 42% of American families combined.

The Walton family is the richest family in the United States, with more wealth than Bill Gates and Warren Buffett combined. The Waltons’ wealth comes from their inherited, controlling stake in Walmart. While Walmart workers live in poverty, the Waltons rake in billions every year from the company.
And the Waltons just keep getting richer.

Since 2007, while millions of Americans were having their homes confiscated and jobs eliminated, the fortune of the six Waltons on the Forbes 400 list has more than doubled to an astounding $148.8 billion.
The Waltons have these riches thanks to the hard work of their own employees and all of us taxpayers. Based on recent estimates, taxpayers subsidize Walmart as much as $3 billion per year.[1] Instead of paying workers enough to survive, the Waltons take billions from Walmart every year, while driving their workers on to food stamps and other public assistance.
Unlike their employees, the Waltons reap billions from Walmart every year.

Three Waltons—Rob, Jim, and Alice (all children of Walmart founder Sam Walton)—own over 50% of outstanding Walmart shares. This fiscal year, Rob, Jim, and Alice (and the various entities that they control) will receive an estimated $3.16 billion in Walmart dividends on those shares.
If Sam Walton’s dependents actually worked for their Walmart dividend checks this year, they would be handed $1.5 million every hour. Meanwhile, Walmart workers get an average of $8.81 per hour and are routinely denied full-time work.[2]
Amid concerns about the fiscal cliff in December 2012, Walmart moved up the final dividend payout of its fiscal year from January 2013 to December 2012 to avoid a possible increase in the tax rate on dividends. As the company’s largest and wealthiest shareholders, the Waltons were the biggest beneficiaries of the move.
Most Walmart workers can only dream of making $25,000 in a year. Meanwhile, the Waltons get $25,000 per minute from their Walmart dividends alone.
The Waltons can certainly afford to do better by their workers and the American taxpayers who subsidize their profit-at-any-cost model, but they continue to choose not to.

The Waltons, using their their investment income alone, could fund a permanent $10,000 wage increase for the 1 million hourly store associates whose work generates Walmart’s profits.[3]

Updated 3/5/14
http://walmart1percent.org/how-rich-are-the-waltons/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.