FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: gander mountain losing a customer and starting a boycott  (Read 6219 times)

bigr

Re: gander mountain losing a customer and starting a boycott
« Reply #15 on: Oct 04, 2016, 05:55 AM »
Hope I'm not getting to political but it's time the rich take the front line in our economic war. Just like we ask our young folks to do in military battles. Sad thing is so much less to lose/sacrifice but very few willing(rich) to volunteer.

Stonecat

« Reply #16 on: Oct 17, 2016, 06:26 PM »
I refuse to shop at Walmart unless I really really have to.

Walmart’s ruling family, the Waltons, has more wealth than 42% of American families combined.

The Walton family is the richest family in the United States, with more wealth than Bill Gates and Warren Buffett combined. The Waltons’ wealth comes from their inherited, controlling stake in Walmart. While Walmart workers live in poverty, the Waltons rake in billions every year from the company.
And the Waltons just keep getting richer.

Since 2007, while millions of Americans were having their homes confiscated and jobs eliminated, the fortune of the six Waltons on the Forbes 400 list has more than doubled to an astounding $148.8 billion.
The Waltons have these riches thanks to the hard work of their own employees and all of us taxpayers. Based on recent estimates, taxpayers subsidize Walmart as much as $3 billion per year.[1] Instead of paying workers enough to survive, the Waltons take billions from Walmart every year, while driving their workers on to food stamps and other public assistance.
Unlike their employees, the Waltons reap billions from Walmart every year.

Three Waltons—Rob, Jim, and Alice (all children of Walmart founder Sam Walton)—own over 50% of outstanding Walmart shares. This fiscal year, Rob, Jim, and Alice (and the various entities that they control) will receive an estimated $3.16 billion in Walmart dividends on those shares.
If Sam Walton’s dependents actually worked for their Walmart dividend checks this year, they would be handed $1.5 million every hour. Meanwhile, Walmart workers get an average of $8.81 per hour and are routinely denied full-time work.[2]
Amid concerns about the fiscal cliff in December 2012, Walmart moved up the final dividend payout of its fiscal year from January 2013 to December 2012 to avoid a possible increase in the tax rate on dividends. As the company’s largest and wealthiest shareholders, the Waltons were the biggest beneficiaries of the move.
Most Walmart workers can only dream of making $25,000 in a year. Meanwhile, the Waltons get $25,000 per minute from their Walmart dividends alone.
The Waltons can certainly afford to do better by their workers and the American taxpayers who subsidize their profit-at-any-cost model, but they continue to choose not to.

The Waltons, using their their investment income alone, could fund a permanent $10,000 wage increase for the 1 million hourly store associates whose work generates Walmart’s profits.[3]

Updated 3/5/14
http://walmart1percent.org/how-rich-are-the-waltons/
..Bono a guy I don't agree with on many things said it best."In the United States, you look at the guy that lives in the mansion on the hill, and you think, you know, one day, if I work really hard, I could live in that mansion. In Ireland, people look up at the guy in the mansion on the hill and go, one day, I'm going to get that bastxrd. It's a different mind-set.Me, I'm in love with this country called America. The idea that anything is possible, that's one of the reasons why I'm a fan of America. It's like hey, look there's the moon up there, lets take a walk on it, bring back a piece of it. That's the kind of America that I'm a fan of."
 Sam Walton,son of Okie farmers lived that dream.He delivered papers,became an Eagle scout,earned a degree in economics at U of Missouri and rose to the rank of Captain in the military.Then,working in retail he developed revolutionary ideas that made Wal-Mart/Sam's a leader in the industry.In spite of what Obama says and you insinuate-HE DID BUILD THAT.Would you deny him the right to pass that on to his kids?
 Unfortunately the education system/gov and social media in the US have failed us making the Irish model described above the norm.Billions from the gov go not to Wal-Mart but to retail/food service workers in in the form of gov benefits.Those entry level jobs have never been family supporting jobs. You need more either move up or move on.The highest corporate taxes in the world and  unending Gov regulations have chased many of those next-step jobs offshore.They also discourage many present-day Sam Waltons from starting out.
 Oh and when you do go to Wal-Mart you may notice many customers there being lower income.Wal-Mart and Dollar stores have low prices and are the places they can afford to shop.

stinkybaits

« Reply #17 on: Oct 18, 2016, 12:07 PM »
How much did you expect to get paid to tell customers that you don't have what they're looking for?   ;D

Lol! Isn't that the truth place is pretty much the bang and boom gun shop and a pretty bad selection on those imo.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 18, 2016, 03:01 PM »
I take offense to your depiction of the Irish.

Let's keep our name calling HERE in the USA, and call out the welfare gimme-gangs that want it all but won't work for it!
How many people here in the good ol' USA are willing to work hard to achieve their dreams? (Actually it's quite a few)
There are way too many that fall into a "welfare" situation and found the freebies too good to pass up.
That's when they gave up any idea of actually working for a living and made welfare acquisitions their lives.

Before anyone jumps down my throat defending welfare recipients, let me state that I understand that there is a NEED for what should be re-named "transitional Assistance" (That's what it was called when it began but apparently was too hard a concept for people to understand)
Welfare is no longer a plan for assisting those that have hit a "rough patch" in their lives, but is now a multi-million dollar business for the cities and states.
There is no incentive for anyone to leave the system when you get so much for free without having to pay for it!

Sure, the UK has the "dole", and there are those that abuse it there as well.
My relatives in Ireland are hard working people who are solely responsible for their own successes!!

As for Gander Mtn...They are only obliged to offer what the going rate is (and maybe a little more). If they offer an employee discount, was it a decent discount? Maybe that was what they consider a "perk"?
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

abishop

« Reply #19 on: Oct 19, 2016, 08:31 AM »
I take offense to your depiction of the Irish.

Let's keep our name calling HERE in the USA, and call out the welfare gimme-gangs that want it all but won't work for it!
How many people here in the good ol' USA are willing to work hard to achieve their dreams? (Actually it's quite a few)
There are way too many that fall into a "welfare" situation and found the freebies too good to pass up.
That's when they gave up any idea of actually working for a living and made welfare acquisitions their lives.

Before anyone jumps down my throat defending welfare recipients, let me state that I understand that there is a NEED for what should be re-named "transitional Assistance" (That's what it was called when it began but apparently was too hard a concept for people to understand)
Welfare is no longer a plan for assisting those that have hit a "rough patch" in their lives, but is now a multi-million dollar business for the cities and states. My friend used to work there. It was 20 percent years ago.
There is no incentive for anyone to leave the system when you get so much for free without having to pay for it!

Sure, the UK has the "dole", and there are those that abuse it there as well.
My relatives in Ireland are hard working people who are solely responsible for their own successes!!

As for Gander Mtn...They are only obliged to offer what the going rate is (and maybe a little more). If they offer an employee discount, was it a decent discount? Maybe that was what they consider a "perk"?

taxid

« Reply #20 on: Oct 19, 2016, 10:24 AM »
Many of Walmart's employees qualify for welfare because their wages are so low. Try even getting 40 hours there. I had a family member that worked there so I know. Walmart even shows them how to apply for welfare. Fortunately may family member had family help so he wasn't forced to do so.

Doesn't that mean the family owners of Walmart, that are some of the richest in the world, are getting subsidized to the tune of 6.2 billion a year by the us the taxpayers are on welfare? And then there's that guy running for president that hasn't paid taxes in 18 years. And we're worried about people that need assistance to eat?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoconnor/2014/04/15/report-walmart-workers-cost-taxpayers-6-2-billion-in-public-assistance/#7f47f0497cd8
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

slamboney

• hook em so hard they go cross eyed!!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 19, 2016, 11:43 AM »
Go to school, learn a trade, start a business. Too many people want handouts, I'm sick of it.  I worked in retail in high school, the pay sucked, the job sucked, so I educated myself to do something else.
shut up and fish

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #22 on: Oct 19, 2016, 11:45 AM »
Go to school, learn a trade, start a business. Too many people want handouts, I'm sick of it.  I worked in retail in high school, the pay sucked, the job sucked, so I educated myself to do something else.

thats why I don't get why wal-mart is encouraging its employees to take advantage of welfare handouts???  Why not just pay them a decent rate instead of making the taxpayers foot the bill.    The Waltons are taking full advantage of those wonderful trickle down policies that have worked so well for all the rich folks in this country.

taxid

« Reply #23 on: Oct 19, 2016, 04:09 PM »
thats why I don't get why wal-mart is encouraging its employees to take advantage of welfare handouts???  Why not just pay them a decent rate instead of making the taxpayers foot the bill.    The Waltons are taking full advantage of those wonderful trickle down policies that have worked so well for all the rich folks in this country.

Amen to that.

My twin was a accountant comptroller for 15 years with a business degree from one of the best business schools in the nation. When everything tanked in 2008 the company went under and he couldn't get back in the field in his 50's. He ended up at Walmart. Poor pay, part-time only, and high turnover. Morale was bad to and the store manager just scowled at you if you said hello.

As a taxidermist I had mounts displayed at 5 Walmart stores at one time. One store manager relocated and took one of my mounts. Same thing happened to a taxidermist friend in Michigan. I no longer have any mounts there (Can't say it brought me any business except one dope head that called me collect), and I will not set foot in that store unless it's something I need fast and I can't get it anywhere else.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #24 on: Oct 19, 2016, 04:10 PM »
Go to school, learn a trade, start a business. Too many people want handouts, I'm sick of it.  I worked in retail in high school, the pay sucked, the job sucked, so I educated myself to do something else.

I run two business and have a college degree. Still won't justify Walmart taking advantage of the system while raking in billions. Why should I subsidize their business with my tax money?

Isn't Walmart getting a handout?

Stonecat

« Reply #25 on: Oct 23, 2016, 01:19 PM »
Many of Walmart's employees qualify for welfare because their wages are so low. Try even getting 40 hours there. I had a family member that worked there so I know. Walmart even shows them how to apply for welfare. Fortunately may family member had family help so he wasn't forced to do so.

Doesn't that mean the family owners of Walmart, that are some of the richest in the world, are getting subsidized to the tune of 6.2 billion a year by the us the taxpayers are on welfare. And then there's that guy running for president that hasn't paid taxes in 18 years. And we're worried about people that need assistance to eat?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoconnor/2014/04/15/report-walmart-workers-cost-taxpayers-6-2-billion-in-public-assistance/#7f47f0497cd8
Always interesting reading your posts Taxid. We would prob. agree on the need to redo/simplify tax codes.We could eliminate half the IRS.
Your link above didn't work so I'm reposting it here:http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoconnor/2014/04/15/report-walmart-workers-cost-taxpayers-6-2-billion-in-public-assistance/#7e803c77cd84 Also a second Forbes article with more info and a different view.http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2014/04/14/phantastical-nonsense-about-walmart-the-waltons-and-7-8-billion-in-tax-breaks/#188e6b595687
The truth is likely somewhere in between these two but I take issue with source of the original report:Democratic Staff of the U.S. Committee on Education and the Workforce. All political BS intented to divide,stir discontent and more votes for them.Do you see any push in DC to revise THEIR tax codes allowing all this.....NO! It's all setup by middle and low incomes  taking a beating now mainly because of their incompetent policies.They use the same tactics to divide us on race.religion.gender.you name it ,all for votes.People need to be smarter.

taxid

« Reply #26 on: Oct 23, 2016, 08:02 PM »
Stonecat,

No need to go to a political website for the information I posted about Walmart. Any source will tell you the same, (as Walmart's sales etc. is public record.),  and I do have testimony from a family member that worked there. And there is my personal experience, and that of a friend who is also in the taxidermy business. Doesn't say much for their management and isn't probably a coincidence.

And another thing I learned from a friend of a guy that manufactured anchors. He was asked to produce so many units and was offered the price Walmart would pay in a contract. When the units were completed he was told, "we're only paying you this take it or leave it." Sure it was a contract, but have you ever gone against a corporation with lawyers? You'll run out of money to pay your lawyer and they will laugh all the way to the bank. I learned that from a daughter of a lawyer I dated that got a law degree from Harvard.

Oh and one more thing: Rest assured many name brand items in the Sporting Good department have been made with cheaper parts to cut costs. And a fair amount are seconds. That Zebco reel has plastic and nylon parts vs. metal somewhere else. And that Mossburg Shotgun has a plastic stock vs. a wooden stock somewhere else. I tried to warn my dad about that but he went ahead and bought a 20 gauge shotgun there. Sometimes the firing pin hits the shell and sometime it doesn't.

The store and it's owners are trash and I refuse to shop there unless it's an emergency. I feel for the people that are stuck there.

Cheers!

libo

« Reply #27 on: Oct 26, 2016, 08:33 AM »
just a little history lesson,minimum wage was never ever ever,ever supposed to be a living wage. it's sad to think now in the USA it is.

taxid

« Reply #28 on: Oct 26, 2016, 10:45 AM »
just a little history lesson,minimum wage was never ever ever,ever supposed to be a living wage. it's sad to think now in the USA it is.

Very true, but there are a lot of people still stuck at that level as fallout from the crash of 2008. And yes you can say they don't have the skills and need to get the skills. But you may be surprised to find accountants, engineers, computer technicians etc. working at those minimum wage jobs. One of the problems is once you are out of the job market and you are over 50 it's tough getting back in. I have a friend that is a gifted engineer that was turned down job after job due to his age. (Of course they won't come out and say it as it's illegal). He is now trying to make it a go as being self employed.

The other crazy thing now is you rarely see a human interviewer, at least at first. A computer decides your fate of whether you go to the next level as it's mostly online.

I run two businesses and don't lack for work, but more and more I'm seeing less and less younger people that want my services, because they are not making the wages to have as much disposable income as the previous generation. Or I have to wait on them to pay the balance on their taxidermy work. I have over a grand on accounts receivable right now just hanging on the wall. Been there for three weeks. I hate to do it but will probably have to starting getting people to sign a contract saying mounts will be sold within 30 days if not picked up. Of course the mounts that are not done the people are pestering me. Then when I get it done I'll have to wait… Not true in all cases of course.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.