FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Browns on Bomo  (Read 6330 times)

BomoBrown

Browns on Bomo
« on: Oct 02, 2016, 02:07 PM »
Hello

The Browns are hitting the top on Bomoseen today. Good times, although they are smaller this year.

Michael

ruck

Re: Browns on Bomo
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2016, 02:50 PM »
Secretive bunch on Bomo, I recently bought a house on the lake, and getting info up there is like pulling teeth. Had a guy with downriggers and trolling rods on his boat tell me there are no trout, just bass. "Why ya got downriggers, trolling rods, and flutter spoons then?" Dude gave me a dirty look and walked away. Another guy was jigging with spoons over deep water out in front of my house, so I row out. "Watcha catching?" Just a couple perch he says. "Why did I just see you net a pretty nice size fish then?" He replies with "Not me you didn't" and gives me a similar dirty look. LOL! No worries boys, I'll figure it out soon enough!

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2016, 12:10 AM »
And your first post is a "p!ss and moan"?

Welcome to the site!!!   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2016, 04:55 AM »
Reminds me of a funny story on a small lake in Mass.  

It was a lake I cut my teeth on as a kid and I can still go back and catch any species any time of year. Anyway, on a vacation out there I met a couple of brothers, and to make a long story short, showed them some trolling techniques -- other than catching trout by fishing for them off shore on the  bottom. One of the brothers, Gregg, refined my trolling techniques and can catch trout when others can't.

One day he's out in his boat pulling in trout after trout. He released all of them, but the releases was not evident by two guys fishing on the bottom for trout with no luck. One of the guys calls out to Gregg as he nets yet another trout, "What are ya usin'?" Gregg replies with, "Little of this and a little of that."  The guy on the bank, that hasn't had a bite in hours, get's upset and says, "F you!"  ;D

Anyway, when Greg comes into the boat launch he is met by a Game Warden that wants to see his catch. Gregg of course has none as he's released them all. Obviously the jealous guy called it in. The two guys that were bank fishing were staying in the background fuming!  ;D

The thing about this little lake is hardly any of the locals fish it because a boat launch fee is charged. The lake and the land around it was taken over by the Feds as nature preserve after the military post was closed. It's heavily stocked with trout and Gregg says he needs to name it after himself, as he seems to be the only one there most of the time. He says it's like his own little private lake.

Here I am at about age 12 doing some bottom fishing for brookies in the summer.

Modern picture of trolling with a downrigger on the same lake.

There is no development on this lake except a swimming area which is sweet!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2016, 10:16 AM »
Secretive bunch on Bomo, I recently bought a house on the lake, and getting info up there is like pulling teeth. Had a guy with downriggers and trolling rods on his boat tell me there are no trout, just bass. "Why ya got downriggers, trolling rods, and flutter spoons then?" Dude gave me a dirty look and walked away. Another guy was jigging with spoons over deep water out in front of my house, so I row out. "Watcha catching?" Just a couple perch he says. "Why did I just see you net a pretty nice size fish then?" He replies with "Not me you didn't" and gives me a similar dirty look. LOL! No worries boys, I'll figure it out soon enough!

dude, you need to hit up the "thebigwiggle".   That guy is a bomoseen expert and will tell you anything you want to know about the lake. He's over on iceshanty.

ruck

« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2016, 03:17 PM »
And your first post is a "p!ss and moan"?

Welcome to the site!!!   ;D

My p1ss and moan got some responses right! Thanks for the welcome. I just found it peculiar because it is not something I am used to. I am from near NYC, the epicenter of rudeness, yet when I first started fishing the NYC reservoirs guys were incredibly helpful. I was just surprised by the way the first two guys I tried to strike up a conversation with were so nasty.
  I can't imagine Bomo is much different than where I fish now, similar depths and clear water. I know there are browns in Bomo, but are there lakers? I assumed that was what the guy I saw jigging was after.
 Now I just have to get a boat, the 12' rowboat I have there now ain't gonna cut it!

oatkasut

« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2016, 07:22 PM »
look  on the positive side Ruck. Finding those spots and techniques on this new water in your boat on your own not only will be fun and enjoyable But you will feel the great accomplishment of doing it with your own skills and knowhow. Have fun and enjoy catchin'!Keep us posted.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2016, 10:22 AM »
One should never ASSume. There are no lakers in Bomo. He was jigging for perch, as he said. If I (and most other fishermen, as well) am sitting in my boat fishing, and I see some guy from shore jump in his boat and paddle out to me, asking a bunch of questions and insinuating crap, I'm not going to be very receptive or forthcoming either! Bomo is a long way from your "epicenter of rudeness" and the people don't react well to it.  What you should figure out, sooner than later, is how to interact with the boys. And yes, they do fish deep for bass on Bomo.   :)
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

ruck

« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2016, 10:55 AM »
One should never ASSume. There are no lakers in Bomo. He was jigging for perch, as he said. If I (and most other fishermen, as well) am sitting in my boat fishing, and I see some guy from shore jump in his boat and paddle out to me, asking a bunch of questions and insinuating crap, I'm not going to be very receptive or forthcoming either! Bomo is a long way from your "epicenter of rudeness" and the people don't react well to it.  What you should figure out, sooner than later, is how to interact with the boys. And yes, they do fish deep for bass on Bomo.   :)

I ASSumed because I didn't know. The fish I saw the one guy catch was no perch, nor was it a bass, so I asked nicely. I explained to both guys, before I even asked about fishing, that I was a new homeowner on the lake, and a long time fisherman, not just some beginner on vacation. But they were both rude, and flat out lied to me anyway, which was insulting to me, so I very nicely called them on it.
 Thanks for the scolding, but I "interact with the boys" just fine. I hope you and the two guys mentioned above are the exception, not the norm.

Fish Farmer

« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2017, 02:31 PM »
I had a local fishing guru take me out years ago trolling on Bomo. He had me slow trolling under 2 mph and we were using the small inline Christmas tree blades in front of a spoon or stickbait. I think we had these clipped to downriggers set far back. We caught two browns around 15 to 20 inches one morning, then my motor crapped out. I tried it a few times after that with verticle blade on the riggers during the fall but never did well.

dickbaker

« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2017, 03:27 PM »
ruck ??? ::)   First thing?  Why didn't you simply tell Bomo that you were new on the lake and wondered how and where browns were taken?
                     Also try to understand that you now live on a expensive lake side home in an area of relatively low income?   Always a good idea to
                     patiently become a member of the community before asking favors or interacting in community politics?   

Welcome to the site and look forward to reports of your learning experience at Bomo.   Great Lake to fish.   Let us know about your
                      boat upgrades. Rowing can be great exercise and I still do it on Champlain?

Dick

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2017, 05:53 PM »
When I was a kid this is how it used to be.  You only talked fishing if someone asked you and you didnt try to pry information.  Some people like to be left alone when they are fishing.  Sometimes I am that way.  If you live on the lake it might be worthwhile to use some tact.  For some reason people think they are entitled to the answers of the questions you asked that guy.  He owes you nothing. Some of us spend a lot of time and money to figure out those answers because that is why we fish in the first place.  So I guess I'd ask you whats stopping you from persuing the answers the way most of us do...by actually fishing?

Also I troll up lots of smallies in pursuit of trout, what makes you think he didnt land a nice pre spawn smallie?

Bailbuster

« Reply #12 on: Apr 13, 2017, 05:24 AM »

Might be how you come at people! I have always found people pretty helpful over there ....unless it's derby time

boerboel

« Reply #13 on: Apr 27, 2017, 05:58 PM »
I hear an NYC accent and automatically dislike the person. Sometimes I can warm up to them over time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.