FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: It was the best of times......  (Read 1869 times)

jboggey

• Too Old To Be Good
It was the best of times......
« on: Oct 08, 2016, 07:43 AM »
     This my friends is a tale of two times. The best of times, the worst of times. Also a lesson of greed.  As most know, Oneida has a perch limit of 50 perch.  You should know I got out on Oneida at the East end a little late, but  dropped my first line in the water by 9:30.  Alas, all was not lost. I started smacking jumbo perch right off the bat. Eleven, twelve and even 13 inch perch.  Ah,  yes the best of times. I'm actually catching (2) 12 inchers at a time. By 11 o'clock I had actually accumulated 27 huge monsters, none less than eleven inches.   Assuming this frenzied bite to continue, I started throwing some of my 10 inchers back knowing sure well I could keep my limit of larger 12"s and 13"s should my luck continue.
     Now, for "The Worst of Times" It seems the perch have a built-in time clock.  At 11:00 as fast as the frenzied bite had started, it ended. In short, I spent the next 4 hours trying to get back  "the bite". You can probably guess  where this story is going, right?  In the next 4 hours I only added 4 more keepers, the largest was 9 inches, lamenting all those 10 inchers I threw back in the morning.  LESSON LEARNED. A fish in the boat is worth ten in the water.

jperch

Re: It was the best of times......
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2016, 08:05 AM »
Sounds like you had a Dickens of a day to me Jim, great job!

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2016, 10:08 AM »
Nice post.  I can relate...its that keeper striper you toss back in the wash at 9pm when your trip just started, thinking Ill keep one closer to the morning so it will be fresh...then you fish 8 hours and catch nothing!  Glad to hear you nailed them while you could.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2016, 11:06 AM »
booggey  I  told you before  buddy they all clean and fry the  same ..... glad you had fun  :thumbup_smilie:
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2016, 11:09 AM »
i just LOVE them perch,all C/R now
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2016, 11:11 AM »
RAT how come you don't eat fish anymore? that's one  thing I have always loved eating was fish............I have never had  rust on my filet knife  :rotflol:
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

jboggey

• Too Old To Be Good
« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2016, 11:45 AM »
Sounds like you had a Dickens of a day to me Jim, great job!

Yo Pat,

You are too cerebral. :nono: :nono: :nono:

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2016, 12:36 PM »
Well Jim, at least you didn't leave the ones you keep in a cooler at the launch like that other guy we know... ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

jboggey

• Too Old To Be Good
« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 2016, 12:53 PM »
Well Jim, at least you didn't leave the ones you keep in a cooler at the launch like that other guy we know... ;D

Yo Dom,

I am holding his cooler ransom till he hits the East end with me.  I probably have 4 pkgs of fillets to go with it. What more can a bud do eh?  ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.