FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: One of my farm raised yellow perch is the blue variety  (Read 7959 times)

taxid

Was sorting tilapia, bluegill, and yellow perch today from two indoor recirculating aquaculture tanks, and noticed one looked darker in the water. When I scooped it up it was blue. Kind of neat as I've been hatching and growing yellow perch for several years now, and this is the first blue one. Mounted one for a customer a couple of years ago that was caught in a local lake.

Sorry no picture as I was doing all the sorting and moving of the fish to temporary outdoor fish cages myself, and didn't want them to linger to long in the five gallon buckets I was moving them in.

Maybe I'll get a picture next them I  move the fish. I'll plant this fish in my grown out pond next year and will follow it for several years to record the growth.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

Re: One of my farm raised yellow perch is the blue variety
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2016, 04:01 PM »
thats cool man.  i have cleaned thousands of perch but never a blue one.  do you have grow beds( aquaponics ) set up with your tanks?  been wanting to do that in the basement the last few years but havent goten to it.  do you sell the tilapia to people for food?  sister loves eating them things.

I've done aquaponics before outside but prefer to stick with just the fish. Inside the lighting gets expensive and it raises the humidity levels too much. (The plants are worse than the fish tanks.)

I don't sell any food fish. Not large enough for that market, and it's not only less profitable, it requires I have a designated facility for cleaning that is HACCP rated. Everything stainless shell, sterile etc. I could sell them live though.

The tilapia I either raise for my own consumption or for pond stocking to control filamentous algae. They also reproduce like crazy in a pond and are excellent bass forage using filamentous algae as their food source. Only downside is they die when water temps drop below 50 F.

Word of warning: Make sure the tilapia your sister eats are raised in the U.S. No restrictions on chemicals and antibiotics of tilapia raises in third world countries. And they may be raised in the same water that raw human sewage is present. In fact the fish will feed on the human feces in some of those countries. They don't taste as good either. Have an off flavor in my opinion.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

hounds

• If it were easy !!! Everyone would do it!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2016, 05:44 PM »
Would love to see a pic of that......never heard of or seen one of those....learn something new all the time.

kesdadddy7597

« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2016, 12:22 AM »
Reminds me of the blue walleye we caught in Canada.

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2016, 10:59 AM »
Would love to see a pic of that......never heard of or seen one of those....learn something new all the time.

Trying to post a pic of one but Photobucket was down for maintenance and now I can't connect to the server. Will keep trying.

Anyone else having problems with Photobucket?

westernmas

« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2016, 11:33 AM »
Trying to post a pic of one but Photobucket was down for maintenance and now I can't connect to the server. Will keep trying.

The better question is does anyone not have problems with photobucket.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2016, 02:55 PM »

Yup - it's been up and down all day.

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2016, 03:27 PM »
it's back up

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2016, 01:51 PM »
The better question is does anyone not have problems with photobucket.

Ain't that the truth!   :D

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2016, 01:59 PM »

Not able to log on Photobucket again. Hopefully later.

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2016, 09:37 PM »
Not sure where this photo came from originally but got it off of a taxidermy forum. As you can see the bottom fish is the blue morph.

I have seen variations of this as in no bars or some yellow.

mcully

« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2016, 12:03 PM »
Caught a blue one from Oneida Lake in CNY a few weeks ago, probably my third or fourth out of thousands or more caught.

filetandrelease

« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 2016, 04:14 PM »
I've caught 3 in 30 years on Oneida , got a pic some where

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Nov 03, 2016, 08:31 AM »
http://www.meta-religion.com/Paranormale/Other/blue_perch.htm

The above article has some misrepresentations to say the least.

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2016, 12:20 PM »
not a lot of info on them.  most say its a pigment deficiency.  im no scientist thats for sure. lol

No worries I may have a fisheries science degree but I'm no expert either.  It was just that article was a little iffy on it's information.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.