FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: sheepheads  (Read 2894 times)

abishop

sheepheads
« on: Oct 19, 2016, 06:28 AM »
Is anyone getting any this year. Now that the leaves are starting to fall is when they appear. Haven't heard much yet. I usually find a few buttons in the yard as well and this year has been a bust. Guess a little more rain would help.

rivereddy

Re: sheepheads
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2016, 07:02 AM »
They should be starting to pile up below the Wabash feeder dams...missy  oakdale etc

OOPS! I must have fish on my brain...... I thought you were talking sheephead as in freshwater
drum or white perch.  I obviously doesn't know my fungi

Eddy

bigr

« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2016, 08:37 AM »
just puff balls and a few pictures of hen of the woods.

Bronzeback5

« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2016, 09:57 AM »
Found a few Sunday but it's pretty late. Still the right conditions, just late in the season.

vexologist

« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2016, 07:35 PM »
My dad has found like 60lbs. so far...he has a network of spots he has accumulated over many years, he still harvesting weekly.

wallin

« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2016, 08:41 PM »
Me too, its very dry, I always have them and nothing this year. Might have to
dump a few gallons of water there.
Wallin

abishop

« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2016, 08:43 PM »
Hopefully, the rain tonight and tomorrow will help. Keep your fingers crossed.

vexologist

« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2016, 09:52 PM »
This week's haul...they are poppin, go get'em!!

If we get some more, later on this week..Just PM me, happy to share!

bigr

« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2016, 08:40 AM »
 For the guys that do know what their looking for and find large quantities is there a market for surplus or do they keep well for later use?

Boomer

« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2016, 11:07 AM »
For the guys that do know what their looking for and find large quantities is there a market for surplus or do they keep well for later use?
Bigr - check out the show "Filthy Riches." There is a guy on there that hunts mushrooms for a living (along with his girlfriend and dog). Looks like a tough way to make money.

vexologist

« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2016, 12:32 PM »
I'm a novice still, but in my limited experience over the years because sheepshead retain so much water they are easy to freeze and or dry in large quantities. Shelf life for frozen is up to a year max, but ideally if they are used with in 3 to 6 months they will still taste freshly picked. As for selling there is a good market both in finer restaurant's and medicinal field, commonly referred to as the miatake mushroom you can sell per pound $12-18 depending on season yield and need. I personally have not sold any sheepshead but have sold plenty of morels before Indiana passed the law Jan. 1 2015 to be certified in identification of wild mushrooms same as Michigan did in 2014. But if you are certified and have the right contacts and good season yield it can be pretty profitable, plus your doing something you enjoy and making money at it..can't beat that!!

bigr

« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2016, 01:24 PM »
I've seen shows where people hunt the burns out west and sell to restaurant and other markets and claim they make big bucks. Never seen much about fall mushrooms.

vexologist

« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2016, 02:22 PM »
The less competition in the fall market the better...lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.