FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sally and Missy report  (Read 3772 times)

bigr

Sally and Missy report
« on: Nov 23, 2016, 04:50 AM »
Water levels are getting very near winter levels and clarity is also very good at this time. Shore fishing has really picked up the last few days at all the usual spots. Tubes under bobber or just casting small twisters as well as minnows are all producing fish. If we can make it thru this current rain forecast I expect fishing to continue to be excellent. The winter bite has started. Happy Thanksgiving to all and good fishing.

rivereddy

Re: Sally and Missy report
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2016, 04:02 PM »
paid Missy a call last Friday and was not disappointed.  Had to go through a bunch of dinks to get 5 nice ones,
but dinner Saturday  will feature fillets and taters........

fish on,

rivereddy

bigr

« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2016, 05:00 AM »
Bite was very good all weekend for me. Lets hope we don't get a lot of rain fast. Water turned from clear to stained up stream but is still nice and clear closer to the dam.

rivereddy

« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2016, 09:28 PM »
ran up for round two today.  The water was a bit muddier than Friday and had dropped maybe about 18 inches as well. I didn't check but
I'd bet the dam was spilling more water.

Bunch of guys out but few fish caught.  I fished about 2 hours and wound up with one keeper and 5 dinks.  All on minnows
under a thin pencil bobber.

fish on,

rivereddy

bherr24

« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2016, 11:18 PM »
Was going to take a couple buddies over to missy wednesday afternoon but am worried mondays rain will have it too muddy by then. What do you think bigr?  Rivereddy were you fishing close to the dam or more toward red bridge? 

bigr

« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2016, 03:49 AM »
I started fishing around francis slocum over the weekend due to the changing water color at red bridge. Water was still very clean and fish bit very good but had to go deep for them,8 to 9 ft. Take tour long poles to make that possibility easier. Not sure what water will look like after Mondays rains but as long as it's not rolling mud you should catch fish. Front of the dam on rip rap will likely have the clearest water and would be my first choice now then francis slocum. Good luck and let us know how you do. You might also take a second pole and tie on an ice jig tipped with a bee moth and catch some very nice bluegill off the rip rap. Last year it was real good for a few bonus fish. It will surprise you how big of gils you'll mix in. The dam will also give you alittle protection from the west or nwest winds. 

bigr

« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2016, 08:56 AM »
Here's what I see happening on the Missy based off this mornings numbers the corp updated for the last 24hrs. The level came up 3/4ft, discharge was increased nearly dbl. What that tells me is muddy water is entering up at red bridge and there will be a lot of current. That area would not be my first choice and will likely take a week or more of good dry weather for fishing to improve. Muddy water will be drawn toward dam but will mix in with clearer. Fast dropping water level will slow the bite until discharge is lessened. Watch corp site daily for changes. With luck we will be seeing an improved bite in all areas in a week or so and winter pool will be achieved and stability and water movement is where we want it to be.

bherr24

« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2016, 11:52 AM »
Thanks bigr.   I seen the flow from dam was increased when i woke up this morning. Buddies still want to try it after work so im going to go along and give it my best effort. Will stay up toward the dam, thats where i usually fish 90 percent of the time this time of year anyway.

bherr24

« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2016, 05:44 PM »
Well just got back from Missy. Fished for an hour and a half maybe before it got dark.  Caught 6 crappie all dinks on tube jigs.  Water was actually in pretty good shape i expected much worse, fished frances slocum area. Wind was pretty bad though.  Saw 5 other guys fishing and they all said the same thing, slow.....   One guy said he had 1 keeper in 3 hours of fishing. 

bigr

« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2016, 04:07 AM »
Thanks bherr24. Doesn't surprise me the bite was off. Whenever the water conditions change quickly they shut off for a few days. By the weekend the changing conditions will stabilize. When discharge and water level and color change all slows it will be fish on again.

Bobber Watcher

« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2016, 11:24 PM »
Thanks for the update, hoping to get there in the morning. Gonna try for some gills up by the rip-rap.

chicagill34

« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2016, 05:41 PM »
Will there be any Crappies up by the dam??  going to take a trip to Sally and Missy..get in shape for ice fishing..lol

bherr24

« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2016, 12:17 AM »
Will there be any Crappies up by the dam??  going to take a trip to Sally and Missy..get in shape for ice fishing..lol

I fished saturday afternoon and there were fish being caught right off the rip rap of the dam by shore anglers and a couple boats.  I ended up meeting bigr from this site there too which was pretty cool.  I didn't do great but i did catch some fish, also missed a few that i believe were bluegills. Wish i would have brought some bait for them. If the lake doesn't muddy up again you should be able to find fish at other spots there too. Looks like some pretty cold weather coming around midweek and a chance of rain/snow again tuesday.  May be a while before i go again unless im able to sneak out later today.

bigr

« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2016, 07:42 AM »
As bherr already said the dam produce a few Saturday which started out pretty good but slowed as the day went on. It was Sunday when I went out did I learn the reason for the slow done in my opinion. The water had turn much muddier than the day before. I'm sure the water was changing all day on Saturday, we just didn't notice it much but the fish did and slowed to a stop. Now the exact opposite will happen. The water will begin clearing upstream in the red bridge area first with an improved bite and move slowly toward the dam. Lets hope for some dry conditions or a freeze up. It was nice meeting you also Bherr. Be sure to get yourself some short rods ready for the ice. I'll put you on them for a trip to the Wabash for those eyes and sauger next summer.

Bobber Watcher

« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2016, 11:23 AM »
Thanks for the update. I'm going to wait a few days before I hit red bridge.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.