FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Michigan City and Trail Creek report  (Read 3185 times)

Bputman

Michigan City and Trail Creek report
« on: Nov 23, 2016, 11:56 AM »
Has anyone been to MC pier or fished the creek lately. thinking of making the trip up there this friday

MC_angler

Re: Michigan City and Trail Creek report
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2016, 12:42 PM »
a few steelhead being caught in the harbor and the streams. some lake trout in the harbor

it's late november and we are finally having seasonal appropriate weather... "any given day" finally applies, time to go fishing!

Boomer

« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2016, 05:08 PM »
Thinking Friday maybe.  What type of bait would someone suggest?  Depth?  Am I looking at Lake Trout, Steelhead, perch, whitefish?

Bputman - I'll post again tomorrow afternoon when I can think a little better on the idea of going.  Do you have a time you are thinking about?

Boomer

« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2016, 09:53 PM »
Going to keep an eye on the winds - may make a difference. Suppose to be strong out of the west.

ftwwalleye

« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2016, 11:16 PM »
I've seen a bunch of people posting lake trout in the harbor. I wouldn't mind getting some larrys!

Boomer

« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2016, 02:32 PM »
Son gave the go ahead for fishing tomorrow at MC.  If it is too windy we will be at the Coast Guard station.  Hoping to get bait when we are up there.  Going with crawlers and bee moths. May get a few small perch minnows to try.

ftwwalleye

« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2016, 07:51 AM »
I will be out at the trail on Sunday

Boomer

« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2016, 08:53 AM »
Went to pier on Friday. Lots of people fishing but did not see anyone catching. We ended up fishing at the Coast Guard area with no luck.  Went to Trail Creek for a look. It is up a little from the rain but looked pretty clear for as much rain as we had.

Bputman

« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2016, 07:26 AM »
Hit the MC pier friday and caught one 30" steelhead and lost another, we were some of the few people out there. There were a few whitefish starting to be caught off the pier. We had no luck in the harbor or in the creek and the wind became brutal

Bputman

« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2016, 07:35 AM »
Went to pier on Friday. Lots of people fishing but did not see anyone catching. We ended up fishing at the Coast Guard area with no luck.  Went to Trail Creek for a look. It is up a little from the rain but looked pretty clear for as much rain as we had.

When were you out there boomer? I was the guy in the Blue Yamaha Racing Jacket!

Boomer

« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2016, 08:41 AM »
I think we went out sometime around 10 or 11am.  We walked the pier and left. Wind was the factor for us and the boy did not want to stay. Also, we wore the wrong footwear - boots would have been better with the water coming over the lower pier. Saw a couple fishing about half way to the corner and another near the corner. Ones nearest the corner were moving further out when we turned around.

Glad you got one. Were you using shrimp? or casting?

ftwwalleye

« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2016, 09:25 AM »
Stayed closers to home since the water level was low and clear in the trail. Trolled oliver for trout. Only one 14 in bow but still fun. Might get out to Trail Creek wednesday after a little rain and potential rise and drop in clarity

Bputman

« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2016, 10:09 AM »
Boomer-I was casting with crank baits. I might head back there Sunday to see if i cant catch a Laker or two and maybe chase some whitefish. The wind was incredibly strong and miserable.

Ftwalleye-Keep us posted on the water level when you head up!

MC_angler

« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2016, 10:29 AM »
No need for folks to keep you posted on the water levels - monitor it from your couch whenever you want

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?04095300

40 to 50 cfs is low, 100 is high but potentially fishable, anything over 120-150 is nigh on unfishable

Bputman

« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2016, 10:59 AM »
No need for folks to keep you posted on the water levels - monitor it from your couch whenever you want

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?04095300

40 to 50 cfs is low, 100 is high but potentially fishable, anything over 120-150 is nigh on unfishable

Thank you! I didnt know that there was one of these!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.