FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Missy report  (Read 8662 times)

bigr

Missy report
« on: Jan 03, 2017, 05:26 AM »
There where many areas that opened up from the ice. Fishing at 550 was good the evening of the 2nd at 550 and also many guys fishing across in the ramp area of Red bridge. Probable have a couple days of open water til ice forms again. 

bherr24

Re: Missy report
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2017, 09:21 PM »
I was there on the 2nd as well, was fishing to the west of the ramp a ways on that bank that extends out to the middle of the lake. Caught  probably 20 crappie with 10 being keepers. Small tube jig pink and black with green head is what i used. Anywhere from 4-7 feet deep.  Bite slowed toward evening for us. Not  a bad day for early january though. Some cold days coming up so would imagine it will freeze up again. 

bigr

« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2017, 05:30 AM »
I was back out last evening during the rain. Water was getting muddy as I fished and really slowed the bite. I was at 550 both evenings. I saw people/you across the resi, figured you where getting a few also. My best guess it will be fishable again by the weekend of the 13th. It will freeze back up fast.

bherr24

« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2017, 10:21 PM »
Fished Missy last 2 days from shore and did pretty decent considering the major front that came through friday night.  Fished yesterday in 30 mph winds, wind chill of about 16 and snow showers.  Left with 16 eaters and threw back probably 30 smaller fish.  Went back to same area today and had about 12 good eaters and several smaller fish that we released. Very windy both days but i was fishing a big sandbar from shore that drops off into deep water and thankfully had wind to my back both days. Out in the open the resi was really choppy both days.  Was using small tube jigs under a float. Yesterday the fish were right up close and about 4-5 foot deep.  Today we caught the better fish a little further out and much deeper, around 8-10 foot.  Majority of the catch this weekend were big black crappies, only a couple whites.

bigr

« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2017, 06:00 AM »
Sounds like you had a good outing even with the cold. I took the weekend off and did some honeydew's while it snowed. I'll get back out Tuesday or weds with the warmer weather. Think I'll switch over and do a little cat fishing for a change. I've wore the crappie out and would like a few cats for a dinner. Fish were making a big push up the river just before the cold snap and that I expect to continue when the warmer weather returns. I saw a picture of a two lb crappie taken from the Missy late last week. Lots of nice fish in their. 

crappiecrusher34

« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2017, 07:49 AM »
Bherr24, nice job in the weather. I got out Sunday in the boat had a good day just not quite as good as last week. We were still fishing high in water column. Didn't get any blacks yesterday. Guess they dropped down in front. We had lots of whites we caught down the lake from the bridge. Cold front must of effected the blacks a little more. Last week we were taking blacks less then a foot deep in 20 ft of water. BIG R those crappies will be relieved that you're going to chase some cats for a while. Lol There's pics of the two pounder 16.5 inch from last week on  crappiecrusher on facebook. Scale must be broke thought it was heavier then two. Lol I released her to be caught again.U do not need facebook to view just Google it.

bherr24

« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2017, 09:50 AM »
crappiecrusher we seen you yesterday right as you guys were wrapping it up out front of the marina. Thats the area we fished the last 2 days. Got 5 or 6 real nice ones right off the bat then it slowed and we just picked away at em.  We didn't get there yesterday till around 2 or 230 i think it was. Big r i can't wait until they stack up in the river. One of the funnest trips i have ever had was last year up towards hogsback casting a retrieving a twister tail. Fish after fish and they were all slabs 12-13 inchers.

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2017, 10:26 AM »
I assume these are all white crappies? No blacks?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bigr

« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2017, 10:50 AM »
taxid most trips out you'll get an equal amount of blacks and whites. Blacks tend to be stocker than the whites on avg but the really big girls tend to be whites.

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2017, 10:01 PM »
taxid most trips out you'll get an equal amount of blacks and whites. Blacks tend to be stocker than the whites on avg but the really big girls tend to be whites.

Interesting.

Was thinking of one of these years getting both for potential hybrid brood stock. The hybrids grow faster and get bigger. The biggest crappies I get in tend to by natural hybrids in the 18 inch 3 pound range. One was 21 inches and 3 1/4 pounds.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

crappiecrusher34

« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2017, 11:17 AM »
Yes hybrids are big. They grow really fast. We don't have many here. At least u don't here about them. I do know are club record 2.5 pound I believe was a hybrid. There's a lake in I'll. called Kincaid. That is producing lots of hybrids many fish every year over two and three pounds.. Problem I believe with them is there young tends not to grow most will become stunted I believe after first generation. What do u think Taxid?

chicagill34

« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2017, 07:13 AM »
Did Missy take alot of rain from last night??  Was going to take the kid shorefishing out there this weekend and wondering if it will be high and dirty Thanks!!

crappiecrusher34

« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2017, 07:28 AM »
I think it could rise a little,but don't see it being trashed all over the lake. If it's muddy by the bridge head toward dam. The warming water will keep them biting. The lake is heavily stained already so if u havnt been there yet this year don't get worried when u see the water. Good luck. I might come that way myself we have been getting ready to leave for lake of Egypt this up coming Tuesday for crappieusa next weekend. If u see us give us a wave I'll try to point u in right direction.

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2017, 08:40 AM »
Yes hybrids are big. They grow really fast. We don't have many here. At least u don't here about them. I do know are club record 2.5 pound I believe was a hybrid. There's a lake in I'll. called Kincaid. That is producing lots of hybrids many fish every year over two and three pounds.. Problem I believe with them is there young tends not to grow most will become stunted I believe after first generation. What do u think Taxid?

It's said although not sterile, their fecundity (amount of young produced)  is much lower than either parent species, which some think is a good reason to plant them in ponds vs. the other two species. Both blacks and whites are allegedly a risk in ponds under 12 acres as they can overproduce and stunt. (Especially the whites).

I believe a lot of anglers don't know when they've caught a natural hybrid.

crappiecrusher34

« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2017, 08:47 AM »
Thanks Taxid, for clearing that up. I believe they have same amount of dorsal fins as a black but vertical baring markings as a white?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.