FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Walleye must have gear?  (Read 4718 times)

6stringer

Re: Walleye must have gear?
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2017, 05:26 PM »
If you are thinking of the Maumee run go to the Maumee Bait and Tackle web site and read about how to fish. After going once and reading their info it seems to be spot on. Floating jig heads and grubs are the ticket. Plenty of videos on youtube to show you the way to rig up. They have some good sinkers there at the bait store that work well in different weights. Amount of weight needed depends on water level and flow. Safety first. It's pretty hard wading. I went in last year, luckily I was close to the bank only in less than 3 feet of water and it wasn't terribly cold out. Take some dry clothes with you. Check their web site daily when time gets close and keep an eye on the weather to insure it will be fishable.

Greg2ha

• Must fish for fun!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2017, 03:39 AM »
Yes they have a great site with a lot of good info on there.

crappieslayer38

« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2017, 06:46 AM »
Hey guys, finally got this thing to work. Had to use the wifes email. Anyways it's shaping up to be a banner year in the river. I'm pretty excited to see if we get a nice run of 17 to 21 inch fish after the initial mix of brutes and fish in the 23 to 25 inch range. Just an fyi if you need jigs, Janns Netcraft sells BULK jigs and tails. ;)

Greg2ha

• Must fish for fun!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2017, 07:27 AM »
Anybody on here use planer boards much? I'm new to them but have watched several videos on them just trying to get set up.

Daybreak

« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2017, 09:03 AM »
Anybody on here use planer boards much? I'm new to them but have watched several videos on them just trying to get set up.

I have some and have used them a little.  Was with a guy from the walleye club that used them a lot. He showed me how effective they can be by winning a tournament for us on Lake Maxinkuckee.  I would be glad to show you what I know sometime, maybe on Sylvan.  They have to be set up right and still require the baits to be at the right depth.  Their is some patience required to fish them as they take some getting used to so you don't end up with lines tangled as you have to make turns etc.
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

Greg2ha

• Must fish for fun!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2017, 09:42 AM »
That's cool! I figured out after I bought the boards that a lot of stuff gets switched out or added making the cost per board go up!

SuzyQ

« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2017, 03:45 PM »
Running boards is fun until you run them at night with knuckleheads out there too

boondox

« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2017, 05:01 PM »
Running boards is fun until you run them at night with knuckleheads out there too

That's why we hand line for Walters you get 6 rods left and 6 rods on the right for 4 guys you should just be called tangle up  as a screen name lol's... depending were your at you can run 3 leads two lures per leaders or 6 leads 1 lure per leader.. in the usa..  now we go to Canada rule are different for us..we stay on the u.s. side cause bigger limit and can use more lures most we can run at night is two people one on each side of boat.. that or chugging but I don't think your fishing any rivers you can anchor up in ?? Don't know if you got a small gas kicker motor to troll off of for hand lineing??   you can bring 3 to four guys you get your limit and you switch off with one of the other guys  only way were able to do it  lines get real clustered at night wile fishing let me get you a video of hand lineing.. that on you tube..

https://youtu.be/c7w3nigfNoY

Mac Attack

« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2017, 01:07 AM »
That's why we hand line for Walters you get 6 rods left and 6 rods on the right for 4 guys you should just be called tangle up  as a screen name lol's... depending were your at you can run 3 leads two lures per leaders or 6 leads 1 lure per leader.. in the usa..  now we go to Canada rule are different for us..we stay on the u.s. side cause bigger limit and can use more lures most we can run at night is two people one on each side of boat.. that or chugging but I don't think your fishing any rivers you can anchor up in ?? Don't know if you got a small gas kicker motor to troll off of for hand lineing??   you can bring 3 to four guys you get your limit and you switch off with one of the other guys  only way were able to do it  lines get real clustered at night wile fishing let me get you a video of hand lineing.. that on you tube..

https://youtu.be/c7w3nigfNoY

I have a 16.5' Lund and during the day we typically run 2 boards off each side.
Added to that we can run a dipsey off each side and also a down rigger for a total of 4 off each side.
And oftentimes my son will run a straight board right out the middle WAY back....like 450+ feet.

At night it's only the 4 boards.
With glow sticks on them.

We get tangles, but typically only when we have a rookie aboard.

boondox

« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2017, 02:08 AM »
I have a 16.5' Lund and during the day we typically run 2 boards off each side.
Added to that we can run a dipsey off each side and also a down rigger for a total of 4 off each side.
And oftentimes my son will run a straight board right out the middle WAY back....like 450+ feet.

At night it's only the 4 boards.
With glow sticks on them.

We get tangles, but typically only when we have a rookie aboard.

What kind of board is he running stright out the back??  boards are either port or starboard oriented but a stern planner can be running up the middle  of the boat.. we run more then that at night on lake michigan for salmon lots more room then in the river.. like on my brothers 28 foot Carolina  classic with 6 planner boards each side plus two dipsey rods on each side and the down rigger we run copper and lead core on the planner boards along with just stright mono in the spring time when the fish are up high.. as for the dipseys we run one short wire rod about 5 foot 6 inch rod and one  long a 10 footer per side fire line on ten footer and wire on the short rods..  down riggers we Run stackers to get the fish up top.. and give them a good smorgish boad of lures..  the more people you can carry the more you can run most of all when you got room..

st clair river theirs not much room mainly when the freighters go by us that why we can barely run any thing..  that and the clowns in that cabin cruisers that love doing 50-60mph  playing slomon threw the other boats on the river you may have 100 foot between you and the freighter were your going to fit a planer with the clowns flying in between you and the freighter..some parts of the river are less then 1000 foot across that why we hand line at night .. or whip .. I think it's a us coast guard law you need 250 foot between frighters when passing or over coming.. seems to be a exception on some of the rivers??

Mac Attack

« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2017, 06:20 AM »
It's a stern planer
One he built from a pop bottle and painted orange.
And one he bought - a Church.
they both work equally well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.