FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Walleye must have gear?  (Read 4716 times)

Greg2ha

• Must fish for fun!
Walleye must have gear?
« on: Jan 20, 2017, 04:31 AM »
I have always been a bluegill fisherman and over the past couple years have started chasing crappie. I have also had interest in chasing walleye. With that being said I do an Erie trip once a year and would like to try Maumee run this year and some of the few lakes we have in Indiana for walleye. I am trying to put together gear for chasing eyes. What gear or lures do you have that you think are must haves for walleye? I have a really good start but since we have time before I would like to add to my gear.
Thanks
Greg

Mac Attack

Re: Walleye must have gear?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:17 AM »
jigs and worm harnesses.

Greg2ha

• Must fish for fun!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2017, 08:36 AM »
I have several Lindy and JB Lures harness rigs.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2017, 09:27 AM »
White and black Johnson curly tailed jigs..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

centerpinjosh

• live to fish forced to work
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2017, 11:13 AM »
Can't beat the curly tail grub.. Or different assortment of rapalas

SPN

« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2017, 12:26 PM »
I have been really using the Berkeley Gulp products.......wont go without them actually!! 
Kids Who  Grow up Fishing Hunting and Trapping won't rob little old ladies!!

rivereddy

« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2017, 06:56 PM »
A lot of guys use Carolina rigs with a floater jighead on a leader between 18" and 4 ft.
Have both dark twister tails as well as the traditional chartreuse. Sinkers range from
1/4  -  3/4 oz.

fish on,

rivereddy

SuzyQ

« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2017, 07:48 PM »
bucktail jig n minnow.  whistler jig and crawler.  crawler harness.  shad raps.  jig and plastics. wally divers. buckshot spoons.

indianahooker

« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2017, 08:39 AM »
big sack of jig heads and power grubs is all you need.  cast out, quartering up stream, and work jig alone bottom with the current.  you keep that jig within a foot of bottom and you will get bit.  you will also loose a lot of jigs if doing it correctly.  good luck and wear safety glasses!  lol

Greg2ha

• Must fish for fun!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2017, 11:34 AM »
Ordered some Trip Z Divers and two planer boards.

High Flags

« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2017, 05:01 PM »
 I catch most my eyes lindy rigging...  love the no snag weights  I use either a 1/4 or 3/8 ounce  then a bead then a barrel swivel tied to a snell.  I like the long 6' owner snells with a built in bead at the red #6 hook  , you can cut the lenght down if you wish...   Tip a night crawler or leech    I like to use a worm blower to inject air in the crawler.    slow troll .5 mph  or drift     

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Lindy-NoSnagg-Slip-Sinkers?utm_source=google_ps&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_ps&gclid=Cj0

http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/lindy-worm-blower

http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/lindy-no-snagg-slip-sinkers

I also enjoy trolling shad raps  #5 and #7    ...GOOD LUCK Greg  !!!   We want pics!!!

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Rapala-Shad-Rap-SR05-Lures

boondox

« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2017, 07:01 PM »
Get some lead punch pliers and a coil of round lead like in  a 2 or 4 pound roll of it in either 3/16 inch round or 1/4 inch round  learn how to flaten and punch a hole in lead with the puch pliers... this is for fishing floater jigs I think pliers cost about $20 coil of 3/16 lead about $10 to $12.. barrel  swivels beads etc In sizes that work for you.. plenty of leader material  for tying your floater jig to barrel swivel .. hook hone I like temco ceramic hone with hook file on the back of it.. good wading belt with stringer sytem if your keeping your catch.or a cooler or boat stringer.. wading net or boat net depending on which you plan to do.. if legal.some states nets are illegal for certain times of the year. Like here in michigan.. if wading a good wading staff for checking for logs  and drop offs  rocks etc.. etc.. ahead of weare your stepping.. I am sure I can think of ton more like fishing vests that hold tackle maybe even a fishing pfd vest if wading or boating that should be on the list for sure.. if fishing from a boat use  bottom bouncers and crawler harness you can do the same thing with a three way swivel and a section of that coil lead..  cut off coil punch and attached with leader to the three swivel...  run crawler hareness off one of the two left over eyes on the three way.. that and hot n tots if legal to fish were your fishing we use them here in michigan a lot.. you can run them off planer boards the hot n tots if need be .. hope this all help get you started..

By the way we run coil lead cause people can't just buy a 3/8 ounce sinker cause they read 3\8 on the sinker you cought you fish on...  you can also trim them back and make it swing faster or slower depending on amount used.. there's lots of reason we use the coil lead wile river fishing mainly wile wade fishing.. so others can't look over your shoulder and figure it out real quickly..

tater140

« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2017, 08:11 PM »
#6 xraps for indiana walleye

big_guy_13021

« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2017, 05:53 AM »
I troll about 3-5 mph I use a 3/8 bottom bouncer with a worm harness works great for me..from shore an xrap..or a black jig head 3/4 oz tied with a black and purple buck tail with 3 strands of silver flash in tail ....

Mac Attack

« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2017, 06:07 AM »
3-5 mph sounds aweful fast, especially trying to keep a small 3/8 oz bottom bouncer on the bottom.

My gear are shorts and T-shirts.
And it will be a few months before I can wear them and go catch some eyes.

8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.