FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Salamonie or missy spillway?  (Read 5319 times)

Walleyechaser96

Salamonie or missy spillway?
« on: Jan 24, 2017, 02:50 PM »
which spillway do you guys prefer? I fish the Mississinewa but want to try new places. Is the Salamonie better than missy? Info would be helpful thanks!

bigr

Re: Salamonie or missy spillway?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2017, 05:24 AM »
Missy is most peoples first choice. A lot has to do with the access and it being a much bigger area to fish along with the fact you won't loose as many jigs. Numbers always seem to be better but so will the crowds. The Salamonie gives up some real big fish every year, not as many as far as numbers and is a much smaller area to fish. Very rocky so depending on your style of fishing you could loose some jigs. Not near the fishing pressure but you'll need to be in shape to walk the stairs. Very little shore fishing, wading is a must where at the Missy you could get some fish from shore. The Roush also gives up fish each spring. I don't know as much about fishing there but I get the feeling it's a better kept secret so you might give that spot a try as well. Most reports I hear from there seem to come a little later in the late winter and early spring than the other two. One important thing to remember is that when the outflow is high the Missy will be your best option because of the many slack areas whereas the other two don't offer nearly as many during high discharge.   

Bputman

« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2017, 11:36 AM »
Spot on accurate BigR, as for Rousch currently the water is insanely high, if youre able to wade there are some really good spots further down stream. As soon as the water recedes there should be a good number of fish in the "box" as it is common called. If your running jigs, be prepared to lose a few and snag the occasional carp

Walleyechaser96

« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2017, 12:19 PM »
Thanks guys! I  appreciate it

indianahooker

« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2017, 08:34 AM »
i too prefer missy.  always done better there over the years. the entire stretch, to the bash, gets loaded with fish.  take a lunch and head out early. 

rivereddy

« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2017, 09:12 PM »
We went up to visit friends in Miami County today, and while the wives plotted and schemed no good, us gents
took a look around Missy.  At Red Bridge the water was within 75' or so of the grass/brush line that marks summer pool.
The water looked like hot chocolate and no one was fishing.  The tailrace looked wicked with 4' standing waves and a
flooded catwalk on the west side.  Several other groups were watching but no one was fishing there either.  A bright spot-
we saw over 30 bald eagles.  Some ponds in the area were partially covered with slushy, funky ice about .25 inches thick

fish on,

rivereddy

bigr

« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2017, 05:35 AM »
Water is dropping fast and as it get closer to winter pool water will begin to clear slowly. Open water fishing might be possible by the coming weekend. It may possible start to freeze up also so we'll have to wait and see a couple more weeks to see what type of fishing we'll be doing. Stay tuned for up dates. Tailwater fishing when the corp shuts her down should also be decent for eyes.

bherr24

« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2017, 10:35 AM »
I went over to missy on saturday with my cousin, we were both bored and wanted to wet a line somewhere . About the only place fishable was that creek mouth that runs into the river just down from the spillway. We caught a bunch of small bluegill but no crappie. Another guy there caught 3 smaller crappie and that was it. We took a drive around and the resi from the dam all the way to red bridge was mud.  Up by 13 the color got a little better.  Up river it was clear as can be.  I would think with no rain this week things should be a little more fishable this weekend.  I'm hoping the crappie bite may be on in the spillway once the flow slows down. Last year right about this time me and 2 buddies went over there and hammered big crappie one afternoon down river a ways.  I seen a lot of bald eagles as well on saturday, had one juvenile one land in a sycamore about 30 yards from us and eat fish.  On the way home we seen about 8 adult ones in the trees close to the bridge by the coonhunters club.

bigr

« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2017, 08:55 AM »
Took a drive around resi's yesterday. Conditions are fast improving. Good clear water running in rivers upstream and levels are dropping fast. Even by this weekend you might be able to find some fish in the 105 area and possible red bridge. Water will still be dirty, still up some, and also dropping. Tough but not impossible for a few fish. The weekend of the 10th I think could be the start of good fishing and many more options. I don't expect ice to form atleast I hope not.

bherr24

« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2017, 11:25 AM »
Fished Missy again this weekend. Spillway still had dirty water but did catch quite a few crappie just nothing big enough for me to keep. They were lowering the flow from the dam as i fished yesterday. I tried for a short time for walleye but had no luck.  May try again this evening before the rains come tomorrow. The lake is finally getting down close to winter pool again and now more rain is coming, i fished the area near red bridge and didn't even get a bump there.

bherr24

« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2017, 11:11 AM »
Went back over to Miss spillway yesterday afternoon, fished 2 hours before dark. No walleye again, but bigger crappie this time, ended up with 11 keepers all 10 to 11 inchers.  Found them up close to a bank in a deep eddy downstream aways. Did not see anyone else having much luck though including a couple guys next to me.  Seen a couple smaller ones caught up closer to the outlet. Not sure what will happen now with this rain, i would bet we have got close to an inch or more already since midnight.

bigr

« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2017, 11:39 AM »
The resi is shot after this rain. Most likely won't be fishable for several weeks in main body but fish will start their migration upstream sooner now with the high water. I'll be working that area as soon as the river drops alittle. Even that will be a few weeks now if it doesn't rain every other day. Below the dam should remain about the same or even get better for those that know how to fish the high water. Sounds like bherr24 won't have any problem.

Walleyechaser96

« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2017, 12:54 AM »
Fished missy spillway this evening fished till a little after dark ended up with 2 nice walleye on 18" the other 17". Seen some other guys fishing but didn't seem they had much luck.

bigr

« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2017, 01:23 PM »
I might have to take back my words regarding when the missy resi will be fishable again. This past rain didn't have as much effect as I thought it would. Looking at the corp site it didn't rise like I thought it would. In fact it is still dropping toward winter pool. I'm sure it is very muddy but dirty water doesn't always hurt things as bad as you might think. I'll be checking from time to time starting this weekend.

bigr

« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2017, 12:41 PM »
Just got back from a quick trip to missy. Water was a real good color and no wind.  Bite was not fast but not slow. Ended up bringing 11 eaters home and threw back that many. Several others out and I think all were catching fish. Bite should  only get better from here on out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.