FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Stripers from shore  (Read 2486 times)

crappieslayer38

Stripers from shore
« on: Feb 11, 2017, 10:47 AM »
Hello everyone. I plan to take the wife to New York this coming fall for a 3 or 4 day fishing trip and I plan to target stripers from shore day and night fishing. My question is, are there places where people cast from shore and get the stripers? I prefer to not beach fish with her. Preferrably in the harbor if they run in there? Thanks all!!!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Stripers from shore
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2017, 12:42 PM »
New York City?    Most NY striper fishing is done out on Long Island...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

crappieslayer38

« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2017, 07:36 PM »
Mostly just want to find some rip rap and toss some buffalo jigs with a 5 or 6 inch curly tail. Used to slam them on the west coast with this presentation. Probably not a good option for New York? I'm totally blind coming from ohio no knowledge of east coast tactics. Just want my wife to have a good time and then I can make a return trip in future years. Reading up on it, I'm kinda of intrigued to take a few days off and make the 9 hour trip for some spring action. A guide nearshore for the first day would be optimum :-*

boondox

« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2017, 09:06 PM »
Are you dead set on new York?? There are a few guys on here that fish the canals of Massachusetts do a Google on it it is a bike path people ride along a canal and it's fished day and night if any thing you would get out and get excersize  and maybe catch a few stripers I have a thread about the canal bike under general chit chat section on page 2 or 3?? Might be worth poking around on here and asking around like with the search engine and etc .. most of those guys are tied up ice fishing right now so I would check back every couple days cause this side is dead this time of year but will be hopping sooner or later..  

Here is the canal bike thread if intrested?

http://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?topic=71725.15

touge30

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2017, 01:14 PM »
You put me on some deer Ill put you on some stripers.Guarantee

finsntins

« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2017, 04:02 PM »
not sure about the fall,but the spring run up the hudson would be your best bet.lots of big stripers are caught every year from shore.depending on winter it could start in april down towards nyc and then ends up in albany in may.try the web site stripers 24/7.lots of good info.on that site.
MISS B.HAVEN' SPORT FISHING

oatkasut

« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2017, 03:47 PM »
I seen people catching them in the Hudson River in Hobokin, NJ just accross the river  from Manhatten. So it's not a crazy idea.

boondox

« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2017, 05:38 PM »
That's awesome finding out he can fish the hudson for striped bass .. would hate to say this but some shore fishing can be dangerous some of the ways people do it.. that's why i am thinking of safe ways that could be fun.. like not swimming out to a rock on a jetty and drowning cause of it.. just be carefull on what you do ..

Swamp Rat

« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2017, 05:06 PM »
Which part of New York? In Manhattan we fish the East river off the shore with bunker chunks. There is a lot of shoreline in Brooklyn too.

finsntins

« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2017, 06:04 PM »
river basin sports shop is a great place for info. and bait.tom has a very detailed report once they open and the stripers start to move into the river.
MISS B.HAVEN' SPORT FISHING

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2017, 12:39 PM »
Haverstraw portion of the hudson has catchable stripers from shore 12 months out of the year.    DEC just nailed someone a few weeks ago that was keeping them out of season there, catching them right from shore.

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2017, 09:36 AM »
i have caught small ones around hudson n.y
rat

try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

Somers

« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2017, 01:08 PM »
Your method will work. Last fall there was a ton of bait in the river. I didn't fish down in the city, but as mentioned, right In the east river or down at battery park, guys fish all the time.

There is a party boat that goes out from Manhattan as well if you want to go that route one day.

The Hudson river line of the metro north rail road could also put you on some productive water to the north at many of the riverside parks in the suburbs.

Cranks, bucktails, and top water were all working last fall. Fish a moving tide and look for current rips.  Good luck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.