FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: I'm ready for open water!  (Read 2948 times)

taxid

I'm ready for open water!
« on: Feb 12, 2017, 04:28 PM »
How about you?

My ponds have frozen and thawed completely 3 or 4 times now. Open today with high winds. Haven't drove over to the local lakes yet but I'm sure if there's ice it's not safe.

Was reading through a book I had laying around called Crappie Wisdom Handbook of Strategies by In-Fisherman. It got me excited about getting out there in March which is just a little more the 2 weeks away.

Never got out this winter. Too busy hatching and feeding these little fellers up to 8 X per day in my basement. About 2000 of them. Brooks, Browns, and Tiger Trout.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: I'm ready for open water!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2017, 04:45 PM »
Pretty cool.. Do they all go in the same pond or do they get separated?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

netminder34

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2017, 06:53 PM »
Tiger Trout, I have heard that reference also for splake.  Are they the same?  There were a few crappie being caught on open water today.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2017, 07:30 PM »
Tiger Trout, I have heard that reference also for splake.  Are they the same? 

The tiger trout  is a sterile,  hybrid of the brown trout   and the brook trout...
The splake is a hybrid of two fish species resulting from the crossing of a male brook trout  and a female lake trout.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2017, 08:07 PM »
Pretty cool.. Do they all go in the same pond or do they get separated?

They will have to go into the same earthen 1/10th acre 100,000 gallon pond. Would prefer to separate them as I've seen aggressive larger faster growing browns harass the brook trout before, but only have one pond that is fed by a well during the warmer months of the year.

I have to wait until they are about 14 weeks old and about 4 inches to plant them into the pond, which will be late March. (They're a little over 2 inches now and were hatched in December). That's because if there are any tubifex worms of the right species in the pond bottom, there is a remote chance they could release a protozoan responsible for Whirling Disease. (Myxobolus cerebralis). Apparently once the fish are larger and older and the cartilage is ossified enough, the trout are are resistant, although brown trout are already quite resistant. Rainbows, which I don't have, are the most susceptible. No WD officially found in Indiana, but birds and animals can transfer the protozoan. We aren't known for naturally reproducing trout streams here so perhaps no one was looking for it?

In the past I have always just planted trout of at least 6 to 8 inches into the pond I purchased from a supplier in Michigan. Then grew them out to trophy size. This was my first attempt at hatching eggs in my basement I had Fed Exed overnight. Actually did a little of that in college in Michigan years ago (1976-78!)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2017, 08:17 PM »
  The tiger trout  is a sterile,  hybrid of the brown trout   and the brook trout...
The splake is a hybrid of two fish species resulting from the crossing of a male brook trout  and a female lake trout.

Ditto. And Splake are not technically sterile like a tiger trout because lake trout and brook trout are of the same genus, but behaviorally they rarely get together to reproduce.

Tiger Trout: Salmo trutta X Salvelinus fontinalis

Splake: Salvelinus namaycush  X Salvelinus fontinalis

Jig_Head

« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2017, 01:12 AM »
I'm definitely ready for open water. Those almost look like goby lol

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2017, 06:20 AM »
ditto.........and warmer weather.

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2017, 10:43 AM »
I'm definitely ready for open water. Those almost look like goby lol

They are a little tubby at this stage due to constant eating.

netminder34

« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2017, 01:54 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, I knew the cross for the splake but was unaware of the tiger other than others who had wrongly intermixed the two together.  Plenty of open water and warm temps coming at the end of the week and through the weekend.  Still some chilly nights ahead keeping water temps down but it is about to begin.  Had the duck boat out over the weekend and water temps was 32.5.

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2017, 04:51 PM »
I am ready this year! Got a new outboard, electric motor,  and fish finder.

netminder34

« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2017, 10:01 AM »
I have a couple new rigs for this year also.  Been a big lake fisherman most my life with stints here and there chartering.  Last year the wife and I decided to change things up and sold the 36' after we found a 17ft smokercraft we both liked.  I then picked up a 14ft flatbottom duck machine and we are doing some learning now on walleye and bass.  Planning on doing some traveling around Mi and In camping and fishing this summer.  I dont know much about fishing walleye yet, just love the eating part so far.  Looking for any advice or General information on good camping spots with access to some fishable lakes.  I can share big lake info and experience.

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2017, 07:25 PM »
I have a couple new rigs for this year also.  Been a big lake fisherman most my life with stints here and there chartering.  Last year the wife and I decided to change things up and sold the 36' after we found a 17ft smokercraft we both liked.  I then picked up a 14ft flatbottom duck machine and we are doing some learning now on walleye and bass.  Planning on doing some traveling around Mi and In camping and fishing this summer.  I dont know much about fishing walleye yet, just love the eating part so far.  Looking for any advice or General information on good camping spots with access to some fishable lakes.  I can share big lake info and experience.

"Duck Machine?" I assume that just a flat bottom boat used for duck hunting?

netminder34

« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2017, 10:58 PM »
Yes sir.  First one I have ever owned and it was a very good purchase.  Never been much of a waterfowler but had a great time putting some ducks and geese in the freezer.  14ft 70in beam, put a beavertail flipover blind on it and it worked great.  Taking the blind of it this week and will make a good river fishing platform.

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2017, 11:15 PM »
Anybody see the extended forecast for northern Indiana? Highs on the 50's and 60's! And this is February!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.