FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Resoling Wader Boots  (Read 1804 times)

stripernut

Resoling Wader Boots
« on: Feb 25, 2017, 08:55 AM »
I have mutant feet that are 6E Wide (most of the time 4E is way to narrow) and it is hard to find wading boots that fit with out crushing my feet over a day of fishing... I found a pair of Cabelas a few years back that were wide enough (at least a HUGE improvement from ones in the past). They were felt and now the felt is gone and the boots have a few (at least one) season left and I am thinking of resoling them. I don't want felt, but a hard sole that I can stud. Anyone do this? Last season I used a pair of Stabilizer Cleats "over" them, but rather not do that again (thou, it worked better than I thought it would). I am not out to buy anything for big bucks, I spend more time in a boat than wading, but I do need a pair from time to time. Thanks.

boondox

Re: Resoling Wader Boots
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2017, 12:22 PM »
Shoe goo and felt I think simms sells the felt and shoe goo is another brand by its self..  your better off getting some good year tires and cutting your shoe print out of the tire shoe going the sectin of tire to your boot then add in some studs like sheet metal screws to the tire tree seen some one use a reciprocating saw to make a flower pot out of a tire on pintrest why not use the same method to make new soles?? Your better odd with lug soles over the felt cause the felt can trap diseases like whirling and vhs in the felt!just saying you can go to discount tire and I think they may give you a few for free to cut up but that's the problem is disposing of junk tires.. could cut it into small pieces to throw out as little at a time..  is all I can suggest..

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2017, 06:33 PM »
As I said, I don't want felt... I will keep in mind the old tire tread, it would most likely work, but maybe I can find some soles that would work on some old boots that are do to go...

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2017, 10:26 PM »
I think I'd go see a cobbler at a shoe repair shop and have them done right. Shoe Goo never seems to last.  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

stripernut

« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2017, 10:40 PM »
I was thinking the same, but it is much harder to find a Cobbler these days...

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2017, 07:28 AM »
A quick search for "cobblers in Massachusetts" brought up a bunch of listings.  ;D
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

stripernut

« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2017, 07:39 AM »
I was not clear, I meant compared to when I was younger... There is a whole lot less of them now.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2017, 08:08 AM »
You've got that. There used to be one in almost every town!  That's why I did a search before I even posted the suggestion.   ;D

UglyStik

« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2017, 01:56 PM »
I watched a movie, Without Limits, about track star Steve Prefontaine's life. His coach, Bill Bowerman was experimenting with making lightweight shoes for running. There were scenes where he would mold the souls by pouring rubber into a waffle iron and later trimming them. Everyone thought he was a little nuts. He perfected this and they became known as NIKE.
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2011/02/nikes_holy_grail_bowerman_fami.html
Not suggesting you take the wifes waffle iron and try that, but... maybe you could experiment with pouring urethane or rubber into a simple mold and then attaching those.

CowDawg

« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2017, 07:47 PM »
Never did the resoling thing to my wading boots but I do purchase them oversize to accommodate heavy wool socks for cushioning and nice heavy lugs on the soles and I add my own sheet metal screws to them...  Never had a issue yet and I walk like a mountain goat over the rocks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.