FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trail creek  (Read 2299 times)

Fish09

Trail creek
« on: Mar 12, 2017, 02:47 PM »
Been seeing that the steelies have been biting well last few weeks. I am going to give it a shot tomorrow. Bright and early. Anyone been out and have any luck??

ftwwalleye

Re: Trail creek
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2017, 08:43 AM »
Haven't hit Trail yet this year but got a few from mishawaka.

Boomer

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2017, 12:25 PM »
A "cold weather" tournament was held last Saturday. A coho over 5.5 lbs was impressive and I think the winning steelhead was over 10lbs.   Don't forget that the lake whitefish record has fallen twice this year already. Will it fall again before the warm water comes in? You're looking at close to six pounds now!

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2017, 08:51 AM »
A "cold weather" tournament was held last Saturday. A coho over 5.5 lbs was impressive and I think the winning steelhead was over 10lbs.   Don't forget that the lake whitefish record has fallen twice this year already. Will it fall again before the warm water comes in? You're looking at close to six pounds now!

Ooh those whitefish are good eating fish! Had some at a diner up in Bay City Wisconsin a couple of years ago. Wow!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Boomer

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2017, 10:23 AM »
Ooh those whitefish are good eating fish! Had some at a diner up in Bay City Wisconsin a couple of years ago. Wow!

I have eaten them both fried and smoked. Great tasting I agree. Seen on tv where they will do a "fish boil" with them. Looks very good.  The only thing I hear negative about these fish is that they are oily and do not freeze well. Eat them fresh. Anyone out there can confirm this?

MC_angler

« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2017, 11:17 AM »
They are best fresh, but freeze just fine

I cannot tell a difference between fresh and frozen if they are smoked

If frying they are certainly better fresh, but that goes for most fish

ftwwalleye

« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2017, 03:03 PM »
I don't personally like steelhead or salmon frozen either. Rainbows are such a good fresh fish

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2017, 07:22 PM »
I once rough skinned out an 11 pound brown from Manistee years ago with plans to mount later for a cousin that had been fishing with me.  Since he wasn't paying for it I was in no hurry to get it back out and flesh it down completely. Unfortuntely the remaining flesh went rancid and ruined the skin. Good lesson to learn vs. a customer. He's getting a replica instead at my expense.  ::) I need to get it done before the family reunion!  :D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

tomes1978

« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2017, 03:45 PM »
Thinking about heading there tomorrow.   It's a 2.5 hour drive...is it worth it?

ftwwalleye

« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2017, 11:28 AM »
Thinking about heading there tomorrow.   It's a 2.5 hour drive...is it worth it?
It is if you know where to fish and water conditions right. I've been saving on drive time and doing well in mishawaka but need to get up to Trail.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.