FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: I know some of you hunt.........  (Read 14524 times)

Flukeman

I know some of you hunt.........
« on: Mar 13, 2017, 08:17 PM »
New legislation proposed

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2017/S4739#no 

Gives you a chance to share your ya or na viewpoint.

SPN

Re: I know some of you hunt.........
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2017, 08:31 PM »
good god we must vote this down..........
Kids Who  Grow up Fishing Hunting and Trapping won't rob little old ladies!!

Mac Attack

step2jimi

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2017, 07:18 AM »
Am I getting the jist that this is basically a heavier and wider antler restriction? If so I LOVE the idea.

reeleyz

« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2017, 07:50 AM »
Am I getting the jist that this is basically a heavier and wider antler restriction? If so I LOVE the idea.

It would be almost state wide. It won't affect me, those are pretty much my self imposed rules anyway. However, I don't like limiting my mom. She has the green light to shoot any buck that she feels like shooting.

SPN

« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2017, 08:13 AM »
Impose your own standard for antlers I agree, but forcing all those who could care less about antlers is severely limiting the ability to harvest a legal Deer.  Compound that with the ridiculous DMP process......

I think I shall shoot the first buck that comes in front of me....Like I always have!

step2jimi

« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2017, 10:47 AM »
Like I said I love the idea. See because a lot of people do shoot the first buck they see I have to see 10 bucks before I see one I'm willing to shoot. By having antler restrictions eventually there will be more mature deer running around and it won't be so hard for people who want to pass on babies and let them grow. Now none of this stands true for the Adirondack a but it just doesn't sit well with me to go out and shoot a baby buck in Farm country. But hey maybe I can start a business. The farm I hunt I could take you out for a walk any day of the season and get you a baby deer.

fishslayer730

« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2017, 11:24 AM »
U now I can't be the only meat hunter out there!!! I could careless what's on its head...them antlers are extremely hard to eat ya know....i dont buy any meat from a store I fill a freezer of any game meat I can havest including odd thing most people won't touch like turtles, beaver, frogs ,racoons, possums, woodchucks,pigeons, and lots of others and my kids are more then willing to eat any of it and my biggest meat supply is venison and making this antler thing a law is B.S. in my eyes....it should be left to the hunter to decide what's right for them and me to decide what's right for my kids belly to consume! !!

SPN

« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2017, 11:42 AM »
There is really no herd management science behind antler restrictions, purely antler management.  the Doe take is what biologists use to manage the herd.  this is all about marketing.......

With such a short shotgun season, and I hunt 400 plus acres of family land, i want to harvest meat period!!  I get DMP's and primarily shoots Does.

I have shot  a lot of 2 and 3 yr old and much older deer that were only 4 and 6 points as genetics and diet plays in many cases a much bigger  influence than age with regard to  antler size.

Have not found a good recipe for antlers....if you have one please share!  LOL 

reeleyz

« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2017, 12:28 PM »
To be honest I think the DEC is just using the ARs to increase the doe harvest. I would expect the doe harvest to increase. If people have to let small bucks walk then they will shoot more doe.

ARs will mainly lower the 1.5 year old buck harvest and shift it to the 2.5 year old buck harvest.

SPN

« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2017, 02:40 PM »
DEC sets the DMP quota based on collision data from insurance companies and nuisance permit requests.  The buck take is not used to calculate the management quota.

The reporting rate is at an all-time low with the DECALS system (20% estimated)  and the biologist are now getting herd health data from processors instead of the multiple deer check stations of the past. 

gotagetm

« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2017, 03:16 PM »
I think its not right, as stated by others cant eat horns!if you want to wait for the one big buck that's your choice as for me I hunt for meat and I fish for my freezer but that's just me as stated by someones post I also eat all animals I wont kill something if I'm not gonna eat it including chucks,raccoons ect

step2jimi

« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2017, 07:38 AM »
I think its something that should be voted on. What makes either side right? We can sit online all day long and say I think its wrong to kill young deer or I should be able to kill whatever I want. One thing i think most people can agree on is that we have to have regulations. There will be no hunting at all without them and we should all be able to agree we don't want that. I know a lot of people don't care about how old deer are or how big, they just want to go out and shoot a deer and have hunting season be over and that's their right to do so. But there are other people who like to let them mature before harvesting and unfortunately the numbers of bucks that get a chance to grow to maturity is low because of the other side. Who's to say what side is right. Touchy subject I know. I also know i waited 14 years to kill my first buck with a bow because I always said I didn't want to kill young deer. I filled doe tags every year and never went hungry. If you're relying on venison to get you by, then by all means fill your freezer, but that is a massive minority within the sport. The number of hunters in this state who strictly hunt to get by is significantly less then the number of guys who yes hunt to eat but also have jobs and buy food like the rest of the world

skinny40

« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2017, 09:35 AM »
I eat small deer. I hunt them for food. I hunt other animals for fun. I don't like deer season. I don't like eating old deer. I will shoot a small buck and be happy. If I shoot a 15 year old buck I'd give it away. I wouldn't eat that crap if you paid me. You want more bucks in the woods teach all the bow hunters how to aim. A lot of them bow hunters wound several buck every year and never find them. Probably a lot worse then me actually killing and tagging one young buck. If you can't find a mature buck its probably not because of me or my hunting practice. I don't think the average buck size has gone down since I was a kid. We were always happy with meat on the table. Only problem now is everybody likes to blame everyone for there problems, you can't find a mature buck to put up on Facebook and prove to the world your the best hunter....not my problem. Don't care. It would be great but if it doesn't happen maybe you should have scouted and put in your time in the woods. There are guys who take trophy bucks off public land every year. Because they put in there time. Antler restrictions are not the answer. Shooting 2 yr old 8pts is never better than letting 4 yr old 4 pts live and breed. Hell if I can't take a small buck, and I shoot a 12 pt instead how does that help you? If I shot a spike on opening day I'd have to let the monster walk by me and right to somebody else. Win win. Its not the scientists and animal biologists pushing this as a way to increase the health of the herd. This is totally being supported by deer hunters, mainly the worst hunters who don't know a thing about hunting, only deer hunt, never spend any time in the woods except for deer season, and believe there the best woodsman to ever live. There may be a few true hunters in the group but most of the "antler restriction Nazi's" don't shoot big bucks because they don't deserve too. That's like saying I don't catch big bass because everyone catches them when they are too small. Or you lack the skill needed to find them and catch them off guard. There is no shortage of deer, or big bucks, but they aren't any easier or harder to find then they ever were. The average hunter just got lazier and more ignorant.

step2jimi

« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2017, 09:53 AM »
Couldn't disagree with you more on so many levels. I only shoot mature deer because they are challenging to find and shoot and they are delicious and sens your assume people are not seeing mature deer because they don't know how to hunt or don't put their time in ill assume you just suck at cooking. "A lot of them bow hunter"? You should find better hunters to associate with. I haven't wounded a deer and lost it in 14 years. It was the first deer i shot with a bow. I cant think of any lost wounded deer in our group either. But hey there's not a bunch of whoya gun hunters just slangin lead come opening weekend who don't even bother to look for blood so i understand why you blame bow hunters.  Just because your happy with meat on the table doesn't make my opinion wrong. Im happy with meat on the table to so i work pretty hard at my craft and manage to harvest deer every year. I also do this thing that most people and most hunters in modern society do and I go to work, make money, and buy food. Were not exactly frontiersmen here.  With that said i haven't purchased beef in a very long time because i do put the time and manage to fill freezers with meat.  Also don't want to take mature deer to post them on Facebook i do it because they are challenging to harvest, small, immature bucks are NOT. This is being supported by the worst hunter? Can you please supply me with your proof to back up such a ridiculous and ignorant comment? Do me a favor and drive through Steuben county and look at the deer hanging from peoples trees. Tiny little bucks that took no skill to take, while at the same time spooking the woods and turning those bigger smarter deer nocturnal. But hey its the bad hunters that want antler restrictions so they probably just poach them at night anyway by your reasoning? And the bass thing are you actually serious, your comparing bass to deer? I just find it funny that you claim people are bad hunters if they cant find mature deer yet you take the easy way out and shoot the first baby deer you see? But you seem to have this thing figured out pretty well so you should take your opinions which are based off nothing more then your opinion to a meeting and see how its proceeded by people who are actually educated in the matter.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.