FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: I know some of you hunt.........  (Read 14523 times)

SPN

Re: I know some of you hunt.........
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2017, 11:10 AM »
It is a touchy subject indeed.....Just remember that this legislation is just that, legislation, conjured up by politicians, not DEC biologists.  It's about tourism and money.

Wait for big bucks if you want....it's your tag!
Kids Who  Grow up Fishing Hunting and Trapping won't rob little old ladies!!

catfisher

• Born to fish
« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2017, 12:32 PM »
 I hunt area 9R. So many DMP's were issued in the past, it is a good day if you see any deer. I harvest deer to feed my family. I could care less what is on the top of it's head. Do you think any of the clowns sponsoring this bill hunt? Are they knowledgeable about deer populations in specific management units? Doubt it. I am 67 years old with spinal issues from a tree stand fall. I can't run the hills and valleys for miles like I used to.  You want a big buck, then do your scouting and wait for it. I have done it before and will hunt a specific buck if the opportunity presents itself.  Use trail cameras. All deer hunters should be allowed to make their own choices. Talking about it here does nothing. CONTACT YOUR ASSEMBLYMAN.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2017, 12:35 PM »
it's like  keeping big walleyes  you  take just big bucks and  mature alfa bucks  scrub racks  mate and pass bad  genes ,add to this the declining number of hunters  and you are just giving  more to the anti hunters they love it.......me I shoot deer to eat ....horns  are just drag handles God put on them.....
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

SPN

« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2017, 01:38 PM »
Good point on the antis Trapper......

Flukeman

« Reply #19 on: Mar 15, 2017, 01:39 PM »
1.) Why should anyone else have the right to tell a person what a trophy is?

2.) If we want more hunters, why would we detract from their success?

3.) If you spent any amount of time in the woods, you would see how many older spike horns are running around. Why do we want these deer in the gene pool if antlers is your goal?

4.) If you really cared about yearling bucks, we would not be discussing 3 points on one side.

Even though my choice is to shoot only 8pts or better when it is a buck, I would never want to tell anyone what their choice should be. We all paid for that "State Land" they want to regulate. The best part is, they also want to regulate your private land! They are supposed to represent the people, not their special interest buddies. They do that enough in their business dealings in this state, leave hunting alone and let all the people enjoy it as they wish.

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #20 on: Mar 15, 2017, 02:15 PM »
 I like to compare our State to Ohio. They are allowed to take one buck a year. It doesn't matter which season it is, bow, rifle, youth, muzzleloader. Just the one buck. Also they issue doe tags too. If you fill it then you can go and buy another doe tag (meat opportunity). With that being said, most guys I talked with tend to hold out for a decent buck. They have all season to fill that tag. And yes they whack the does in the mean time. In the end they have a more balanced herd, buck to doe. Just something I noticed from our neighbors. Seems to work well for them!

trapper2000

« Reply #21 on: Mar 15, 2017, 02:33 PM »
your only allowed to take  one  with a  gun in new  York  and   you can take  one more  with your primiative  tags  or  you can take  2 does

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #22 on: Mar 15, 2017, 02:43 PM »
 I can take 2 bucks in NYS. Yes one primitive and one during regular, but that equals = 2.  Two is two. And if I'm lucky on the doe tags, another 2 deer. My point is, in Ohio it's one buck per person, period. Choose your weapon. Your chance at getting a decent buck is far greater in Ohio. Now that means little to a lot of people. Just bringing up a management alternative that is in place and working.

trapper2000

« Reply #23 on: Mar 15, 2017, 03:15 PM »
I can take 2 bucks in NYS. Yes one primitive and one during regular, but that equals = 2.  Two is two. And if I'm lucky on the doe tags, another 2 deer. My point is, in Ohio it's one buck per person, period. Choose your weapon. Your chance at getting a decent buck is far greater in Ohio. Now that means little to a lot of people. Just bringing up a management alternative that is in place and working.

no  you can take  1 deer on your regular  licence  two on your primitive  2 with  doe  permits  then  2  more  does in the second chance  doe permits  that's 7deer  now  you can hunt  long island  and  that's unlimited  does ....... we simply have a  exploding deer herd and  less hunters ...a lot less hunters

now  add to this that  ohio  harvest is around  178,000 in a  5  year average and  nys is  237,000 

right now we have more deer then ever before  and more  oppertunities why mess it up? or even take a chance  ...I think our management plan is working very very well .

my freezer is  full  I had a  great time and that's what hunting is really all about  and  I don't want to change  anything ...instead if trying to  change my hunting  why don't  you simply  go to ohio  then you can kill 3 bucks

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #24 on: Mar 15, 2017, 03:27 PM »
I'm not trying to change your hunting.... Just joining in on a friendly management debate. It's always nice to hear someone else's opinion. Nobody ever listens to me anyway.....let alone agree!   :P

fishslayer730

« Reply #25 on: Mar 15, 2017, 03:31 PM »
U ever look into how long the Ohio gun season is....it's 9 DAYS long and muzzleloader  is 2 DAYS long....I certainly don't want anything they have for for laws on deer hunting...one of my friends moved to a southern state n they get 7 days of gun season n said basically everything closes for those days of season because that's all everyone gets to hunt n do enjoy what we have in new york so think about  that for a moment n realize we are rather blessed with good hunting regulations. ...on anther note I did my part in singing my name to a NO vote on this n everyone else should put in there vote on  what ever they think

fishslayer730

« Reply #26 on: Mar 15, 2017, 03:33 PM »
I agree with you trapper !!! let's keep what we have !!!!

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #27 on: Mar 15, 2017, 03:35 PM »
 With our long seasons the deer do get a lot of pressure.

SPN

« Reply #28 on: Mar 15, 2017, 03:40 PM »
if you hunt in the so tier with a shotgun you get 23 days.......so three weekends if you can swing that.  We have lots of deer and putting meat in the freezer is not too tough.  Would not want the burdon of not being able to shoot a buck and two Doe if they put the restrictions in place....

I voted NO but vote the way you like.......

None of the deer I take ever leave the farm with their head on anyways!!!  :whistling:

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #29 on: Mar 15, 2017, 04:26 PM »
1.) Why should anyone else have the right to tell a person what a trophy is?

2.) If we want more hunters, why would we detract from their success?

3.) If you spent any amount of time in the woods, you would see how many older spike horns are running around. Why do we want these deer in the gene pool if antlers is your goal?

4.) If you really cared about yearling bucks, we would not be discussing 3 points on one side.

Even though my choice is to shoot only 8pts or better when it is a buck, I would never want to tell anyone what their choice should be. We all paid for that "State Land" they want to regulate. The best part is, they also want to regulate your private land! They are supposed to represent the people, not their special interest buddies. They do that enough in their business dealings in this state, leave hunting alone and let all the people enjoy it as they wish.

Can't say it any better than that, I can't wrap my head around how anyone can be so arrogant to tell anyone what they should shoot. Antler mania is ruining hunting and dividing hunters when we need to stand together more now than ever.  >:(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.