FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: God this weather is depressing  (Read 2851 times)

taxid

God this weather is depressing
« on: Mar 15, 2017, 08:01 AM »
Snow on the ground and all the ponds on the property are iced over about an inch. Lows at night in the teens.  >:(

I guess that's what we get for having a mostly mild winter.  ::)  

At least we are half way through March…

Like Mark Twain said, "Everybody complains about the weather but no body does anything about it."
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

crappiecrusher34

Re: God this weather is depressing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2017, 08:04 AM »
Sucks for sure. I was getting spoiled I guess with the nice weather.

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2017, 08:05 AM »
So far we have gotten about 20" of snow with another 4-6" on the way today.
Other places east of us got as much as a foot more than we did.

Want to trade?

8)

bigr

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2017, 08:35 AM »
We went from early spring expectations to a much later spring in a weeks time. I'm not complaining YET. Might have to go back to iceshanty and start over.

rivereddy

« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2017, 10:07 AM »
19 deg here. I'm not so enthused about the bird bath being frozen over any more  I brought another load of firewood into the garage from the woodpile out back.  I hate to fill up the garage again, but from the looks of the forecast for the next few days, the wood burner still has work to do.  The only fishing chore I have not yet done is to put the launch permits on my boat, canoe and kayak.  It's got to be 55 deg or above or they won't stick......  Man, I'm sharpening hooks that don't need to be sharpened....... Even the Maumee has dropped back down to 35 deg.....

fish on,

rivereddy

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2017, 10:15 AM »
So far we have gotten about 20" of snow with another 4-6" on the way today.
Other places east of us got as much as a foot more than we did.

Want to trade?

8)

Well actually it wouldn't be as boring.  ;D 

No difference really. Can't open water fish and can't really ice fish.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2017, 10:18 AM »
I guess I should be glad I'm not a Robin or a Killdeer. Both birds were hunting on the ground when I took the dog out for a walk. The Robin listening for worms? Trouble is the ground is frozen. I wonder how long they can go without eating?

And the Redwing Blackbirds are still around from arriving a few weeks ago.

My dad has his Purple Martin house up hoping for scouts. Seriously?  ;D  Always the optimist!

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2017, 12:09 PM »

No difference really. Can't open water fish and can't really ice fish.

Yup, this is correct.
So we're both stuck

ftwwalleye

« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2017, 03:05 PM »
Get out after some trout!..ha. they don't care about the weather. I have had some trouble with fly line icing up some mornings but still getting some.

I am ready to get into spring and chase some other species for sure

staubsaugen

« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2017, 03:37 PM »
amen ftwwalleye! I chased rainbows at Oliver on sunday with limited success, but they are still hungry and active. I also just smoked a backlog of rainbows from the freezer that turned out fantastic.

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2017, 07:12 PM »
I came very very close to frostbite when I was a kid walking back to the house from ice fishing. It was a mile walk back from my neighborhood lake in Massachusetts. My hands started turning a shade of gray. Now my fingers get numb even in temps between 40 and 50. I'll wait until temps get into the 60's. Besides fishing on open water in the cold in the wind takes the fun out of it for me.

tomturkey

« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2017, 05:31 AM »
Taxid  I just checked the radar. It looks like there is some heavy rain in north central Illinois headed to Indiana.

It seems that ever since I went on blood pressure meds I can not take the cold. Pro or to that I would work out side all winter with out gloves as long as I could keep my hands dry. It might not have hurt that I spent the fall water trapping bare handed.

fishinpo1e1

« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2017, 02:01 PM »
Taxid  I just checked the radar. It looks like there is some heavy rain in north central Illinois headed to Indiana.

It seems that ever since I went on blood pressure meds I can not take the cold. Pro or to that I would work out side all winter with out gloves as long as I could keep my hands dry. It might not have hurt that I spent the fall water trapping bare handed.

I don't know if its the blood pressure drug, but as I get older, I find that it helps to wear a couple body size heat packs pinned to the underside of a vest or sweatshirt. Use x-tra large safety pins and position the heat packs on your lower back one on each side near the kidneys. You will be warm all over including feet and hands. I take blood pressure drugs and other prescribed crap and can still fish all day without gloves in 25 degree and less weather temps.

fishinpo1e1

« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2017, 12:41 PM »
good info there tom.  is there reasoning for the, over the kidney heat pack position?

I worked in a sporting goods store and the old fashioned hand warmers that burned lighter fluid instructed to place over the kidneys ("kidney belt" ) which  would warm the circulating blood flowing through the organ and going to all parts of the body. They even had a kidney belt as an accessory which allowed the handwarmers to be placed around the circumference of the belt.

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2017, 03:52 PM »

Could be with the blood pressure meds. All meds have some kinds of side effects and they effect people differently. That said I can't emphasize how important it is to keep your blood pressure down. My mother-in-law has passed now due to a extended kidney failure. She didn't take meds for high blood pressure and it destroyed her kidneys. She was on dialysis for two years and congestive heart failure took her recently.  Dialysis is no fun. It's a horrible way to live. I do business with a baitstore owner and he has to go in three times a week. He absolutely hates it and it wiped him out for the day.

I'm now on BP meds myself.

KEEP THAT BLOOD PRESSURE DOWN!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.