FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Looks like more browns coming to the Oliver Lake Chain again  (Read 5601 times)

taxid

to go along with the rainbows. We need to thank our biologists for getting them from a federal source. Walk back a few years and the only way to get browns planted there was through NEITA which is now defunct due to lack of interest. This is the second or third planed planting of browns into the Lake Chain since NEITA. The INDNR used to plant them regularly I think up to the late 80's or so. I have caught browns in the chain up to 5 lbs. and have seen 8 lb. fish. One was found dead of natural causes in Oliver years ago of 13 lbs. Olin produced a state record brown trout before the brown trout plantings in Lake Michigan. I believe it was in 1968? I have a picture of it somewhere if anyone is interested.

Rainbows are great but browns seem to live longer and provide better trophy potential.

Additionally we need to let them know there is interest in keeping the trout program going. I see one of the workers at Curtis Creek is retiring and the state has no interest in filling that position according to one source I talked to. I've heard rumors in years past there is pressure to end the inland stocking of trout from certain entities in the INDNR.  I know the list of lakes stocked with trout seems to be getting smaller every year.

Contact Larry Koza at Fawn River and thank him and tell him you support the inland trout stocking program. Neil Ledet that was instrumental has retired.

The phone number for the Fawn River State Fish Hatchery is (260) 829-6241

Do it today!

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Phisherman84

I don't know if Larry is the best to talk to.  Look up what he did to the fawn River.

taxid

I don't know if Larry is the best to talk to.  Look up what he did to the fawn River.

There was nothing done to the Fawn River Mr. Schlemmer.  It was a frivolous lawsuit that was thrown out if I remember right.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

Here's the old state record brown out of Olin Lake. I think it was around 10 lbs. but don't remember.

WillerLeaf

• Can't catch em' on the couch!
There was nothing done to the Fawn River Mr. Schlemmer.  It was a frivolous lawsuit that was thrown out if I remember right.

If you're talking about the Dam failure, the case details are below and I can tell you with 100% certainty the river was incredibly affected.  The silt released has piled up downstream at the next set of dams and continues even to this day

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data2/circs/7th/021863p.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwj0uK-L6fHSAhVM3IMKHYaDBPsQFgglMAQ&usg=AFQjCNHLlazrK8_W4wYJG1WIO6KTlYM2OQ&sig2=yNztw1qr3gHX8XEGGCxxaw

taxid

1. I find it very interesting that you and the other poster that crapped on my thread, haven't been around here very long.  Are you even legitimate anglers? For all I know you are part of the law firm that got their butts handed to them.

2. Posting a link to the lawsuit does nothing to back up your contention. It merely shows their was a lawsuit.

3. If there was this incredible damage that you imply, why did the litigant loose? It was my understanding it wasn't even taken seriously.  

Please start your own thread and quit crapping on my thread!  >:(

ftwwalleye

I'm down with brown town! Ha. They hold over better and can withstand higher temps.
Bummed the German browns are done in Lake michigan stocking but that's another story. I'm glad we have such a great fishery like oliver near us.

indianahooker

hope it continues!  we dont have a "trophy trout" lake anymore.  maybe the browns will give us something really worth chasing again.

Phisherman84

You got me I'm a lawyer and I've never fished.  Got to love those alternative facts.

taxid

You got me I'm a lawyer and I've never fished.  Got to love those alternative facts.

Go find another thread to troll.   ::)

taxid

Re: Looks like more browns coming to the Oliver Lake Chain again
« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2017, 11:52 AM »
hope it continues!  we dont have a "trophy trout" lake anymore.  maybe the browns will give us something really worth chasing again.

Apparently the cisco and smelt are gone from the Oliver Lake chain for coldwater forage, but I'm still seeing some big ones come into my taxidermy shop. I guess it depends on what you consider trophies, but these browns are in the 22 to 23 inch range. The 18 inch size limit on the browns helps.

Trout can get up to at least 4 lbs. on just invertebrates and zooplankton. There are other forage fish in the Oliver Lake chain like brook silversides, and various other species. They may not be available to the trout during the summer, but I've seen them nail them in the fall and spring. I've marked some baitfish in deeper water with no idea what they are. Yellow perch maybe?

Another silver lining to the trout stocking: Monster northern pike forage when they cruise deeper water in the summer. The chain doesn't have a lot of northerns but it has some bruisers. I mounted one from the lake that was just under 26 lbs. and 45 inches. A stocky fish even in late summer when it was caught.

Phisherman84

« Reply #11 on: Mar 27, 2017, 08:40 PM »

Sir, the state settled the case for $8.5 million in 2011, admitting no fault of corse.  Butt I'm sure you will call it fake news.  I can not believe anybody on here would accuse anybody of not being a "legitimate" fisherman, what class!  I must have joined to post pics of "illegitimate" fish.  Verry sorry to everyone else.

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Mar 27, 2017, 10:37 PM »
Sir, the state settled the case for $8.5 million in 2011, admitting no fault of corse.  Butt I'm sure you will call it fake news.  I can not believe anybody on here would accuse anybody of not being a "legitimate" fisherman, what class!  I must have joined to post pics of "illegitimate" fish.  Verry sorry to everyone else.

O.K. I had some of my information wrong. My apologies. That said this was 20 years ago. Why bring it up now?

Why don't you start a thread on it if you think it was so important to troll my post with it?

And how the heck would i know if you're legitimate or not? You can be anything you want on the Internet if you don't use your name in your avatar.

indianahooker

« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2017, 08:41 AM »
takes more than a 24" trout to make trophy status in my book, especially when talking browns.  we used to fillet limits(10 fish per man back then, 2or3 guys in the boat!)of 20"-26" bows in the 80s and 90s.  5-6 years ago the DNR changed something and it all went to poop. 

what size are the "trophies" they are bringing you to mount? 

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2017, 09:24 AM »
takes more than a 24" trout to make trophy status in my book, especially when talking browns.  we used to fillet limits(10 fish per man back then, 2or3 guys in the boat!)of 20"-26" bows in the 80s and 90s.  5-6 years ago the DNR changed something and it all went to poop.  

what size are the "trophies" they are bringing you to mount?  

Boatloads of 10 fish limits from 20 to 26 inches browns eh? Funny I've been fishing the chain since the mid 70's and I've caught and seen some big ones, but not that many at a time and never over 24 inches. You probably catch boatloads of 18 inch yellow perch and 14 inch bluegills too eh? I've also been a taxidermist for over 30 years and haven' seen or heard of anything like that either. Nor have my taxidermist colleagues that are in a four county area up here. I think you're exaggerating. In fact I know you are.

Here's a couple in the 20 to 23 inch range about 4 lbs. from a couple of years ago I mounted for a couple of guys. Caught just inside Olin. Most of the rainbows will never get that large.

Why is it always the DNR's fault when you can't catch fish? I worked for the DNR right out of college and some of the crap I heard from some of you was ridiculous. Conspiracy theories of moving all your fish to other lakes, biologists taking fish home from fish surveys, the muskies are eating all our bluegills,  blah, blah, blah. Some people just need to have something to blame for poor fishing skills.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.