FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Flathead Lake Water Temperature  (Read 5604 times)

RuralMT

Flathead Lake Water Temperature
« on: Mar 28, 2017, 03:32 PM »
Hello folks.  So I'm a new member, having joined IceShanty last winter, and am in need of the requisite number of posts to view the reports page.  Rather than clutter the forum with a wasted thread, I figured I'd make my first post potentially useful and fish for answers to two questions I have.

First, does anyone know of a source to check in order to find out the current temperature of Flathead Lake?  I know the USGS maintains a useful website for streamflows/water temperatures, but does such a site exist for our lakes?

Second, does anyone have a rough water temperature regarding when the lake trout begin to appear in the shallows?  I'd like to pursue lakers for the first time this spring, but only own a drift-boat and a canoe.  I will therefore be limited to pecking at the shallower areas of the lake, and am interested as to when fishing is feasible for shore anglers and such vessels.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

missoulafish

Re: Flathead Lake Water Temperature
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2017, 06:12 PM »
this looks like it will get you close. Im surprised the water is as warm as it is already.....
http://flbs.umt.edu/lake/weather.aspx

RuralMT

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2017, 02:54 PM »
Thank you MFish, that is quite helpful.  It's good to see some IceShanty folks over here as well!

missoulafish

« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2017, 07:30 PM »
Welcome:)

MTChemist

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2017, 06:28 AM »
Montana Outdoor Radio Show has been saying the majority of lakers are being caught in 50-70'. But with the perch spawning I bet you can find some shallow.

Jlw

« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2017, 09:33 AM »
That's pretty cool - thanks for the link!

RAM1961

« Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2017, 04:20 PM »
My brother said between Blue Bay and Bird Island in about 260' of water, surface temp was 77.  Lakers were suspended 240' and lower.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.