FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Pike Belly Meat  (Read 3143 times)

RuralMT

Pike Belly Meat
« on: Mar 28, 2017, 04:58 PM »
I have another two-part question I'd like to pose.  In the regulations, it states that non-edible portions of gamefish may be used as bait, so long as the edible portions of the fish are not wasted.  Is belly meat classified as edible?

The reason I ask is that I've been under the impression that one shouldn't consume the belly meat of larger gamefish because toxins supposedly collect there.  Is that that truly the case? And if so, would that permit it's use as bait?  I filleted a lot of pike last week and saved the belly strips for potential use on lake trout jigs, but don't want to violate the law.

Thanks for your responses!

Smr18

Re: Pike Belly Meat
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2017, 06:47 PM »
Depends on the specific game warden. Seriously, I asked the same about perch the warden in Helena said he would write a ticket the one in Chester didn't care

RuralMT

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2017, 03:08 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  If the wardens differ in their opinion, I'll definitely shoot an email over to the FWP.  I've looked at their chart and guidelines, and they state that...

To reduce contaminant levels:
• Fillet the fish & remove the skin.
• Cut away the fat from back, side & belly.
• Bake or broil the trimmed fish on a rack,
or grill it, so the remaining fat drips away.

Since reading that a while back, I began to cut away the bottom 1/4" off the belly just to be safe, and am definitely doing it now that I moved up here.  I eat a meal or two of fish a week, and have been told by a local that the lakes up here in Northwest Montana have mercury in them, even if the amounts aren't enough to qualify it for an advisory. 

I suppose the original question I should have asked was whether or not lake trout would even take a pike-belly tipped jig.

perchpoacher

« Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2017, 03:30 PM »
I would pass on the belly meat for eating as it is mainly fat and could give the fillet a fish taste-suit yourself.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.