FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Where to go for Spring Bullhead?  (Read 2296 times)

Perchbait

Where to go for Spring Bullhead?
« on: Apr 04, 2017, 03:52 PM »
Hey there MyFishFinder VT members. I am interested in trying to get on a good bullhead bite this spring and I was wondering what some good places to start are? I was thinking of trying Lewis Creek or the Lamoille River boat launches. Any information on places or how you rig for bullheads is extremely helpful. Tight lines, PB.
perch bait on IS, if you couldn't figure that out on your own. ;)

Fish Farmer

Re: Where to go for Spring Bullhead?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2017, 07:41 PM »
Otter Creek where Dead Creek dumps in, also the bridge further up in Dead Creek and well as Panton Dam, also on Dead Creek furthur upstream.

VT Mountain Musky

« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2017, 11:22 AM »
As far as a set up for bullpout I use large hooks, anywhere from size 1 up to 2/0 and around a 1/2 to 1 ounce casting weight (the style that has the metal loop to tie the line on to).  I tie the weight to the very end of the line and then a foot or so up from the weight i tie on a hook and then about another foot above that i tie on another hook, I tend to use the snelled eagle claws for this type of fishing.  With this set up you can have baits lying right on bottom or if you give the line some tension and set rod upright in rod holder the weight should act as an anchor so your baits will be suspended just above the bottom which can be very helpful when there are weed beds or leaves on the bottom where you are fishing.  I also will either use some bells on my rod tip or i will use a clothespin to attach to my line about a foot or so off the end of the rod tip which makes for an excellent strike indicator (paint them white or use some reflective tape for max visibility) and clothespins are great because they are very easy to get off the line when a fish is hammering.  As far as spots go just find a shallow part, (preferably a small bay or cove by either an inlet or outlet) of a local lake or pond and get there just before dark so you can fish in to the night.  Spring bullpout fishing is one of my favorite fishing activities and it can be lots of fun when they are stacked up in the shallows, I do not usually fish rivers or champlain for them but I am hoping to try a few new spots this spring, but there are a few nice spots in lamoille county that i dedicate many nights to in the spring.  Good luck to all on the quest for pout!

bootstrap

« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2017, 11:26 AM »
down at the crick

Perchbait

« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2017, 12:39 PM »
Thanks for the information guys! I hope to put it to good use sometime soon.  :thumbup_smilie:
perch bait on IS, if you couldn't figure that out on your own. ;)

mudchuck

« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2017, 09:28 AM »
PB, try mud creek in Alburg, I've seen them so thick in the spillway that you could walk across them!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.