FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Favorite Baitshops Thread  (Read 1932 times)

lowaccord66

Favorite Baitshops Thread
« on: Apr 24, 2017, 06:54 PM »
We all have our favorite shops, some small some large.  Some specialize in certain fishing some are small outfitters in their own rights.  I figure a thread to highlight shops we should all try to support is a great idea.  I personally fish all over and would visit and shop at any local non corporate shop.

Anyone care to share their favorite shop?  Here's a few of mine:

CMS New Bedford CT
TAG'S Tackle Plainville CT
Outdoor Artistry Winsted CT
Gate 8 bait Belchertown MA
Fish307 (of course)

There's a few that bring me back to early memories of my first bait shop experiences.  There was one in Colchester CT that I always went to as a kid.  Bert the owner took good care of me and is probably ome of the reasons I got into the sport as deeply as I am.  There are more that I can add later as I remember or bump into new ones.

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
Re: Favorite Baitshops Thread
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2017, 07:48 PM »
Bay Bridge Baitshop
Sodus Bay, NY
South End of Sodus Bay on west side of Bay Bridge on Ridge Rd.

They have more tackle, rods, reels and of course bait along with rooms and all kinds of boats for rent including pontoon boats.
Stop in to say hi to Bill, Harold or Robby.
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2017, 04:29 AM »
Bay Bridge is alright. Lots of stuff to peruse. I've ordered much of my ice fishing equipment from them over the years. For bait I usually go to S&R in Irondequoit. Nice guys and they understand what a "scoop" of minnows is :thumbup_smilie:

Somehow I find a way to drop a $20 just about every visit.

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2017, 01:14 PM »
Martels in Laconia NH. Good bait for a decent price, no nonsense.
Wildlife Taxidermy, Auburn NH. Very knowladgeable.

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2017, 02:42 PM »
Good stuff guys.  Will keep Martels in mind Jethro!

zwiggles

« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2017, 03:12 PM »
For NH

AJs bait and tackle in Meredith - he is the guru of trolling winni

Suds and sodas in Greenland is a great resource for fishing the salt.

L.A. fisherman

« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2017, 05:53 PM »
theres a new bait shop that just opened in my area,clingers bait and tackle in larryville,pa.. dan is a good guy and has good prices. got a little bit of everything. then theres the bass pro shop in Williamsport. when I use to go to new York fishing fat nancys and 1000 island bait shop is where I always stopped

esox_xtm

• It's SHOWTIME!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 06:08 AM »
Bait shops, real bait shops..... I love 'em all. Having worked part time in a Mom 'n Pop shop for a 7 - 8 years I can appreciate the diligence most of these folks pour into their business and it is not easy.

Can't be open early OR late enough. Weekends off? Forget it. Holidays too for that matter. The margin is on the bait but everyone expects to see the "hardware" on the walls but gripes at the prices. Hmmph! In most cases we could buy off the shelf at Wally World or FleetFarm at LESS than the so-called "wholesaler" price for anything less than a truckload.

Heck, I actually tuned up one of the owners and he learned to routinely scour the big box stores for seasonal closeouts. He could use his tax exempt status because he was reselling anyway. Perfectly good stuff would get parked in his storage area until that season rolled around again. He could double/triple his money while pricing very competitively instead of making pennies on the dollar from wholesaler purchased items.

Most of these places are a wealth of local knowledge, real fishing tips and information and bait quality and selection usually exceeds other non-dedicated sources (read gas stations, chain stores etc.).

So favorites for me? Used to be Pat's Pro Shop in town here, sadly long shuttered.  Now locally, Musky Mike's, Ray's Landing in St. Germain and Jokin' Joes in Tree Lakes are at the top of my go to list.

Gas station bait as a last resort. If these folks don't get our business because we're looking to save a nickel or it's more convenient soon they'll be gone and then we complain.

Not Fish???      Not an Option!!!                                                                  Go Packers !!! 

indianahooker

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 05:40 AM »
its a ruff business when you cant compete with prices.  i dont envy any bait shop owners these days.  i dont have a favorite shop anymore.  i buy minnows in the couple we have around still, but thats all.  they have been dropping off like flys for several years.  sorry but, my buying over priced tackle is not going to save the shop, just prolong its ultimate destiny.

i wont cry when they are gone.  i no its just a matter of time.  just have to put that old minnow net to use again. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.