FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: O/T: Ticks  (Read 3412 times)

TightLinesMaine

O/T: Ticks
« on: Apr 27, 2017, 11:24 AM »
Saw this link posted on another site figured I'd share here:

http://vitalsigns.bangordailynews.com/2017/04/26/home/tick-researchers-found-powassan-virus-in-these-maine-towns/

Aren't ticks just the worst?

zwiggles

Re: O/T: Ticks
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2017, 11:53 AM »
I work in an office... after reading that I'm looking for ticks on me, and I've been outside for about 5 minutes so far today. I hate those buggers

chillywillie

• Team Maine
« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2017, 01:10 PM »
It's going to be a bad year.  I've been getting them on me just from the lawn...

fishlessman

« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2017, 01:27 PM »
dogs been picking them up all winter long

joefishmore

« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2017, 05:36 PM »
This gets instantaniously transmitted when they bite ?

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2017, 06:51 PM »
This gets instantaniously transmitted when they bite ?

The article says it can be transmitted in less than an hour after a bite (whereas Lyme takes 24+ hours). 

Thankfully it is much more rare than Lyme disease, looks like only 3 cases have been diagnosed since 2013.  Two in Cumberland County. 

seamonkey84

« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2017, 09:19 PM »
I treat my outdoor chothing with the permethrin spray. Though it doesn't do great for mosquitoes and flies, studies show ticks curl up and drop on contact with treated clothing. Just don't use the spray on treatment on your fishing gear or waders, it's toxic to fish. The bug repellent clothing sold is also using this stuff, but it's applied in a different way that lasts longer, I guess you can also send your own clothing out to get professionally treated the same way. From what I've read, this stuff isn't water soluble but it's the agitation of washing and wearing that eventually wears it off.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Turnbuckle

« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2017, 06:18 AM »
The article says it can be transmitted in less than an hour after a bite (whereas Lyme takes 24+ hours). 

Thankfully it is much more rare than Lyme disease, looks like only 3 cases have been diagnosed since 2013.  Two in Cumberland County. 

I can't find it now, but read something recently where new studies show that they have seen Lyme being transmitted in like 30 minutes.
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

joefishmore

« Reply #8 on: Apr 28, 2017, 08:20 AM »
Always thought 24 hrs was bull.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #9 on: Apr 28, 2017, 10:05 AM »
I can't find it now, but read something recently where new studies show that they have seen Lyme being transmitted in like 30 minutes.
I have never heard that... if you find a link please share it here.

Always thought 24 hrs was bull.
lol

hardwatergrampa

« Reply #10 on: Apr 29, 2017, 04:18 PM »
grandson got out of the truck for 5 min had 13 ticks on him  1 in the ear that was orange in color several in his neck at the hair line not a good turkey hunting day as far as those things go  oh ya   he missed the tom the thing was tripping over its beard    :D

GasBlaster

• Welcomes green fish !!
« Reply #11 on: Apr 30, 2017, 05:38 AM »
grandson got out of the truck for 5 min had 13 ticks on him  1 in the ear that was orange in color several in his neck at the hair line not a good turkey hunting day as far as those things go  oh ya   he missed the tom the thing was tripping over its beard    :D
. I know a bunch of turkey hunters that have stopped hunting them because of the ticks . When you come out of the woods a 20 or more on you your odds for getting Lyme disease go way up .   Good luck those turkeys aren't worth it .

hardwatergrampa

« Reply #12 on: Apr 30, 2017, 09:52 AM »
iam not that big on turkey hunting in the spring  but gotta keep his intrest in mind  so I take him just really have to check your self and kids really well but do under stand what your saying

shrinkage

• I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #13 on: Apr 30, 2017, 02:07 PM »
I use Sawyers and spray my boots, socks, underarmor, jacket, gloves and let dry. I dress in overlapping layers with boots outside my hunting pants. If its not too warm ill put on a light balaclava and tuck that in my undearmor.I hunt in high tick areas and don't have any major issues. I always do a tick check which is a must. Ill be out turkey hunting this week we'll see how bad they are this year. I usually find a few crawling on me.

icefisher45

« Reply #14 on: Apr 30, 2017, 03:14 PM »
Ticks are definitely bad this year. I pulled 10 off one of our dogs today. Thank you for sharing that article. I had never heard of it before.
A bad day fishing is better then a good day at work, Take a kid fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.