FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Allegany State Park: Redhouse, Quaker and Science Lakes  (Read 3228 times)

TomGIfishing

Hi Everyone,

Next weekend I will be camping at Allegany State Park on the Redhouse side. I was wondering if anyone has any good advice for fishing in ASP, like which lake is best and where people have had decent luck on the lakes. I've seen people pretty much all around the bigger lakes, but where are the sweet spots.
I think I will be taking a small jon boat with a troller on it so I can even hit the deeper waters.

I'll post pics after trip! Thanks for any advice you have!

fishinjohn

Re: Allegany State Park: Redhouse, Quaker and Science Lakes
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2017, 08:01 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Next weekend I will be camping at Allegany State Park on the Redhouse side. I was wondering if anyone has any good advice for fishing in ASP, like which lake is best and where people have had decent luck on the lakes. I've seen people pretty much all around the bigger lakes, but where are the sweet spots.
I think I will be taking a small jon boat with a troller on it so I can even hit the deeper waters.

I'll post pics after trip! Thanks for any advice you have!
Red house you cannot use a motor on (last I knew) I always did great on the side of the spillway..between spillway and boat launch.. closer to the boat launch.. Quaker is hit or miss... there are a few good spots but I'm not sharing those ones..lol I usually do really well on the crappies and there..
My personal choice for crappie and like is Quaker, trout,bass,and gills redhouse..
Good luck

fishinjohn

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 05:27 AM »
FYI. I heard yesterday that they are planning on draining redhouse to do some work on the spillway.. Not sure if they've started or when they'll start

TomGIfishing

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 07:49 AM »
Thanks for the info. I called the park the other day and they think the red house lake project/draw down won't happen until later in the summer (maybe even September). As far as the no motor thing: I heard you can use electric motors. So I will be using a small jon boat with a small electric trolling motor.

I've seen people fishing in the spot you are talking about. I will trying that spot. Actually last year I saw a guy pull a really nice bass from that spot.

fishinjohn

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 11:40 AM »
Thanks for the info. I called the park the other day and they think the red house lake project/draw down won't happen until later in the summer (maybe even September). As far as the no motor thing: I heard you can use electric motors. So I will be using a small jon boat with a small electric trolling motor.

I'd call and check before you use electric motor.. I'm almost positive it's a motor free lake

TomGIfishing

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 01:32 PM »
Thank you, I will call. I don't want to get everything down there and then not be able to use it.

fishinjohn

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 01:35 PM »
Thank you, I will call. I don't want to get everything down there and then not be able to use it.
You're welcome... I know you can definitely use an electric one in Quaker, as I fish there from time to time with my electric troller

TomGIfishing

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 01:37 PM »
I don't suppose you could clue me into where the pike are on Quaker Lake.... could you? Maybe I could just take the ride across the park.

buffaloice

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 02:10 PM »
Theyre in the water silly!!! ;)

Have had luck with pike both near the boat launch, and over by the mouth of Quaker Run. Numbers have gone down significantly in the past few years, sad. Used to be able to catch pike every outing, Now,you gotta really work for them.

TomGIfishing

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 03:01 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I'll let you guys know how I do. The weather is supposed to be pretty lousy but I'd still rather be fishing!

fishinjohn

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 08:12 PM »
I don't suppose you could clue me into where the pike are on Quaker Lake.... could you? Maybe I could just take the ride across the park.
As posted by buffaloice.... if i were targeting pike I'd work the Quaker run end of the lake.. lots of junk in the water on that end

TomGIfishing

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 07:42 AM »
Thanks again. Maybe I'll have some early season luck.

fishinjohn

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 10:27 AM »
Thanks again. Maybe I'll have some early season luck.
Good luck and I hope you hammer the pike

TomGIfishing

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 07:17 AM »
Hi All,

Back from Allegany State Park. The weather did not really cooperate with my plans... but I got out a little anyway. I did catch a 19-20" large mouth at the boat launch in Red House Lake. I will post a picture later today. I did not get over to the Quaker side at all, like I said it was cold and quite windy.

I did ask at the office about motors in RH lake and they said they are not allowed, but they do allow electric in Quaker. They also said that starting in July they will lower the lake to make repairs on the dam and the road over the dam. They told me that all swimming and boat rentals will be moved to Quaker Lake during that time. The lady didn't know if they would stop people from fishing during that time.

fishinjohn

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 04:38 AM »
Thanks for the update! Good you got out and had a chance to wet a line. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.