FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle
This board sponsored by
Please visit out sponsor FishUSA.com

Author Topic: Stocked trout for dinner  (Read 2792 times)

chris458wm

Stocked trout for dinner
« on: Apr 28, 2017, 05:44 PM »
Tomorrow I'm taking my girls to a fishing derby where the only fish they can keep are stocked trout and they want to have them for supper.  I don't, and I'm sure the girls won't, like the taste of stocked trout because of the strong fishy taste and am wondering if you guys have any ways to cook it to tone down the fishy taste.  They love pan fish and bass so I know the only complaint they'll have is because of the strong fishy taste. 

icemole

Re: Stocked trout for dinner
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2017, 05:49 AM »
 Always thought stockies tasted like liver ... LOL.  Try grilling them - scale whole fish season cavity(lemon pepper for me) - then make several cuts through the skin on both sides - wrap in a slice or two of bacon - about 5 mins. a side depending on size of fish.

O

« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2017, 09:21 PM »
Try soaking them in milk for twenty minutes or so.  I've done that with fishy smelling haddock and it helps quite a bit.  Flour , salt, pepper, pantry, it will be good!

CHEZ2

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 05:49 AM »
Stocked Brookies taste much better than Bows,or Browns.
I had 2 yesterday for lunch.
Pan fried with butter ,garlic,salt ,pepper and Spinkled quite heavy with OLDBAY.
Very Good.
The browns and Bows i give away.

chris458wm

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 02:14 PM »
Is Old Bay seasoning spicy?

Spider1

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 02:21 PM »
it isn't hot. I like it but no one else in my family does.

gundogwanted

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 02:52 PM »
Tomorrow I'm taking my girls to a fishing derby where the only fish they can keep are stocked trout and they want to have them for supper.  I don't, and I'm sure the girls won't, like the taste of stocked trout because of the strong fishy taste and am wondering if you guys have any ways to cook it to tone down the fishy taste.  They love pan fish and bass so I know the only complaint they'll have is because of the strong fishy taste. 

I'm sure it's to late for this but, I usually keep the smaller ones for the smoker because they taste like the pellets they feed them at the hatchery. The larger ones I will cut out the rib bones and spine bone. Very long and tedious work on trout, but it's worth it. Then season very lightly and go to Wegman's and ask them at the fish department for some of their crab stuffing. ($16.00 lb. It is delicious in stocked trout. Only need a small amount. Maybe 1/2lb for 3 larger trout.
Equal Billing: Crankbait degrees; Typically, the narrower the bill, the tighter the wiggle; the wider the bill, the wider the wobble.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 03:54 PM »
That's funny.
The last stocked trout I ate (part of) tasted like a cardboard box.
Now if it were a native trout or an acclimated holdover, that would be a different story.

Unfortunately here in MA the trout fishery is a "put and take" deal, where the state doesn't expect any fish to survive long enough to be a holdover.
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

CHEZ2

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 06:25 PM »
Old Bay is not Spicy Chris ,,,it is Different.

CowDawg

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 08:06 PM »
Kinda like Cajun but it isn't.

It's what they smother Maryland Blue Crabs with.

MattyP123

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 09:10 PM »
I don't keep any trout stocked or wild anymore, but trust me when I say fresh lemon or lime juice doesn't just hide fishy taste it eliminates it a bit

chris458wm

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 08:42 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys.  Unfortunately the kids got skunked, the pellet heads just weren't biting.  I tried worms, waxies, trout magnets, and spinners and they didn't want any of it.  There were about 50 or 60 kids there and out of all of the them I only saw about 15 fish caught.  I have to say I'm very proud of my girls because they weren't crying or complaining that they didn't catch any fish, they said they had fun, and want to go again.  My plan is to take them to a good  pan fish pond or lake and hopefully they'll catch some fish.

Spider1

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 09:36 AM »
yep, that's the thing with kids. Even a small gill or dink perch will fire them up! I took my grandson to Romies a couple times with a can full of worms we dug up in the garden. He musta caught a dozen gills and I don't know how many 5" perch! It hurt a little when he bragged that he caught more fish than me, LOL!

RuttNutt

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 09:59 AM »
Sorry to hear they got skunked Chris, but glad to hear they took it well!  ;)

SPider- you reminded me of the first time I took my son to our trout stocked lake when he was little. I only used one pole because I didn't want to be catching a bunch of fish while trying to help him.(using powerbait off the bottom).  Well, I had a few bites and missed a couple and guess who brought home the only 2 fish that day? Yes, my 6 y/o rookie!  ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.