FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gander Mountain going out of business...  (Read 13247 times)

UglyStik

Gander Mountain going out of business...
« on: May 07, 2017, 08:56 AM »
http://www.gandermountain.com/
Might be some great deals.

filetandrelease

Re: Gander Mountain going out of business...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 10:58 AM »
http://By Leada Gore | [email protected]
CLOSE
Email the author
Follow on Twitter
Reports surfaced yesterday that outdoor retailer Gander Mountain was closing all 126 of its locations.

The stories - at least for now - are inaccurate, according to Marcus Lemonis, the CBNC host and owner of Camping World, which purchased Gander Mountain last week.

Camping World purchased the outdoor retailer following its bankruptcy in March. At the time, Lemonis said his company would assume a minimum of 17 store leases with the option to keep others open based on profitability. Lemonis said it was likely that about half of Gander Mountain's existing stores wouldn't survive.

On Friday, Gander Mountain's website posted it was hosting liquidation sales with a big banner proclaiming "All 126 locations nationwide going out of business" with information on ongoing liquidation sales. All firearms, ammunition, shooting, hunting, archery, apparel, footwear, camping, fishing and boating items are included in the sale; gift cards will be accepted only through May 18, the website noted.

The website led to reports that Gander Mountain was closing nationwide, but Lemonis has taken to Twitter to dispute those claims.

"Is the Onalaska/LaCrosse Gander Mtn closing? Seeing a clearance sale article posted today," one person wrote.

"It's saying," Lemonis replied.

"Is the the Roanoke, Virginia Gander Mountain closing?" another asked.

"No," Lemonis said.

An Alabama store is among those mentioned in the exchange. In response to a report the Gander Mountain in Huntsville is closing, Lemonis said "not correct."

Gander Mountains' website strikes the same optimistic tone.

"We at Gander Mountain believe that our best days are still ahead of us and we ask that you join us in welcoming and supporting this successful transition. Camping World shares the same passion for the outdoors as Gander Mountain and our customers, making for a great melding of businesses and outdoor communities," it said on its website.

Lemonis didn't address why the website referred to all 126 locations going out of business.

As part of its deal, Camping World acquired certain assets of Gander Mountain and its Overton's boating business in a deal worth about $390 million.

Gander Mountain announced in March it was closing 32 stores, including four in Alabama, as part of its bankruptcy proceedings. Locations in Gadsden, Mobile, Montgomery and Tuscaloosa are currently set to close; Gander Mountain also operates stores in Dothan, Florence, Huntsville and Opelika.

Lemonis said the status of all stores - even those slated for earlier closures - remains under evaluation.

UglyStik

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 01:24 PM »
I did see that Lemonis 'The Profit' host had bought it. Their site still says "Going Out of Business", liquidation sale, etc. but that could be cause this all shook out on a weekend. Be interesting to see what happens.

ol crawdad

• ALWAYS AN ADVENTURE!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 06:45 AM »
Be sure to check the website for prices vs liquidation prices.  I bought a liquidation pole, and when I got home, the website had it on sale for even less.  Hour drive to the store and only a $5 difference means I keep it.  On a positive note, it is a GM Elite pole, and it fishes great matched with a Pflueger reel and Fireline braid.
Oh Lord - there he is, it feels like a big one, please don\'t let me lose him, I\'ve never caught one this big before.  I\'ll try not to horse him, and if I land him, I promise to release him, and make a graphite replica, if my wife says it\'s ok.  Thank you for the Rapalas...

ericmic1

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 08:42 AM »
Did a little research....

1) Gander was purchased by Camping world and a group of liquidators.
- Camping world will keep the name and stores
- liquidators purchased the inventory
- all stores will close once liquidation is complete
- most stores will re-open in the fall.

2) Sales right now are not great and in fact are often below the regular sale price but people think they are getting a deal.  By the time you will actually save money there will be nothing left.  I have seen this behavior before when The Happu Hooker had a out of business auction on everything a few years back.  People were paying higher than retail on everything + the auctioneers commission and tax.  People are dumb.

-ericmic1

SKUNK-MASTER

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 09:08 AM »
Gander Mtn sucks now anyway..........most things were only 10% off.......I get emails daily from field and stream, dicks, bass pro etc for 20 to 25% off ?            The line was at least 45 min long   and oh by the way isnt it illegal to have a going out of business sale if you are not in fact going out of business.....I dont know much about Camping world , but I would say the other stores are just chuckling right now, saying you go ahead and take gander....they dont have the products or the service level of any of the other outdoor stores.

pb brown 27"             pb walleye 23"

bigal409

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 01:32 PM »
Watch the prices that those liquidators mark as regular prices. They mark up the regular price then take a percentage off that. We found that when our local Kmart closed. They had boxes of Corn Flakes marked as regular price $4.99 then took a percentage off that. I've never paid that much for a box of cereal. Found that every where throughout the store.  ??? ??? ???

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 03:08 PM »
A buddy of mine was at the Tonawanda store on Colvin this morning looking for deals on bullets.
He shoots clay targets competitively.
Anyway, he said it was a joke.
Huge sign out front announcing the store was closing and huge 30% or greater price savings.
He said it was really only on clothing.

Neil McCauley

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 04:29 AM »
Fine with me.  ;D These big box stores seem to stock about 90% clothing and plastic from China. Sporting goods with real demand/value like fishing line, marine batteries, guns, ammo, etc are always out of stock or way overpriced. We are better off getting this stuff online or at local shops, where at least you know your money is going to be put toward better supplying/responding to what customers actually need, not increasing the selection of Duck Dynasty shirts. Gander, Bass Pro, etc going out of business only helps the people selling what we need.

Old Timer

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 05:55 AM »
Only thing you have to really take care of is the gift cards. Last date they are good is May 18 th.  Ifyou look around you will find the same thing with 2 different prices. I got a few packs of 10 jig heads for a buck. And a pair of work boots at decent discounts.  Very few deals and the shelves are still packed with things. Lots of people leaving empty handed. 

ol crawdad

• ALWAYS AN ADVENTURE!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 06:23 AM »
I did get a rod for 20% off and a Pflueger for 25% off.  The rod was on sale on their website, so that was a wash, but the original price of the reel was legit, so I saved $20 there.  I guess it is best to educate yourself prior to going...
Oh Lord - there he is, it feels like a big one, please don\'t let me lose him, I\'ve never caught one this big before.  I\'ll try not to horse him, and if I land him, I promise to release him, and make a graphite replica, if my wife says it\'s ok.  Thank you for the Rapalas...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 06:36 AM »
A buddy of mine was at the Tonawanda store on Colvin this morning looking for deals on bullets.
He shoots clay targets competitively.
Anyway, he said it was a joke.
Huge sign out front announcing the store was closing and huge 30% or greater price savings.
He said it was really only on clothing.

It turned into a really poor clothing store. I haven't been in one in a couple years. Not worth the bother.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 06:58 AM »

Everyone saying "you can get it cheaper online" is what's causing these stores to do poorly. I personally like to try on clothes before I buy them, play with a fishing pole, gun, ext ext. And there is just something exciting about walking into  big box store. I often thought Gander was understaffed and got annoyed by it, but with sales down the way they were what choice did they have? I don't like online shopping for the most part, and will go even further out of my way not too now. JMO

taxid

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 10:04 AM »
Good riddance Gander Mountain. They made all of us taxidermists remove our mounts (at least at the store near me) and refused to give us a reason. My thinking is they were catering to yuppies and the complaints of animal activists.

As far as mail order being part of the reason they had issues, anymore if you are chiefly a brick and mortar store in this economy, you're missing out. If they didn't do mail order they screwed up. BPS does, Cabelas does (Yes I know they are owned by BPS now), and even Walmart does online sales. In fact all the big box stores I know of Lowes, Menards, and Home Depot do online sales.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 11:01 AM »
 Never thought I'd become an online shopper, but slowly over time ..... No driving to the store to find out they're out of stock, forced to return home empty handed and frustrated. No Christmas mad rush, traffic, gas, crowded isles, just punch some keys, and here comes the delivery truck. Time is one thing I'm lacking, online is fast and easy.
 Sears is next on the hit list. Those big stores are expensive to own and operate. Plus the man power needed to run one. As said above it is nice to try on clothing, and handle items before purchasing.
 The ones who are really making out are the shipping companies.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.