FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gander Mountain going out of business...  (Read 13246 times)

RuttNutt

Re: Gander Mountain going out of business...
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2017, 07:36 AM »
I'm still in shock that they are going out of business!  :o  I've bought a lot of stuff from them over the years.  The only issue I had with them is that many times their computer system went down and you could not buy a fishing license. This has been going on for years and they would have to send people to Dick's to get their license. You would think they would upgrade their system at some point, instead of losing out on potential sales and pizzing off many of their customers!  ::)

I stopped at the Middletown NY store last night and picked up one of their tents. Only 5% off, but I have been waiting to buy this particular tent because of it's features for awhile now. Was hoping to hit one of their 20% off sales this summer, but not sure they will remain open that long and didn't want to lose out on a chance at buying this particular tent, so I bit the bullet.

Like others have said, most of the stuff was no more than 10% off. I have a feeling in the next several weeks if the savings do not improve, somebody is gonna get STUCK with a LOT of stuff!!!!!!!!!  ::)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2017, 10:09 AM »
gander has been around  for  57 years  aand  they were a  great store  I remember  getting tha catalog and ordering  decoys  , somewhere alonmg the line  they changed protects  were over priced for  example I wanted a  12 foot jon boat gander wanted  800 bucks   bass pro  was closer to  400 guess what one I  bought ...at least  at the  cicero store the  service  sucked i  go in when the store first  opens and i have  to  get a number to look at a gun???  go to get live bait and they made you wait and wait ....if i wanted a  overpriced sweat shirt made in china that was a great store ....... when they started  treating sportsmen like numbers  they should have   been like dicks and  sold mtn bikes and golf  clubs .........i heard they were going to put in a dollar store at the cicero location
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

taxid

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2017, 12:24 PM »
The only issue I had with them is that many times their computer system went down and you could not buy a fishing license. This has been going on for years and they would have to send people to Dick's to get their license. You would think they would upgrade their system at some point, instead of losing out on potential sales and pizzing off many of their customers!  ::)

You can't buy a fishing license on your own computer? I do it on mine.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

RuttNutt

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2017, 01:27 PM »
I'm old school! I like to do things face-to-face.  ;D  Also don't like to buy stuff online unless I absolutely HAVE TO.  I like to pay with cash in person, so that's why I always buy my license when I go there for other stuff. No problem, though. Dick's was right nearby and they actually wanted my money!  ;)

bigal409

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2017, 05:12 AM »
I've got 2 Dick's near me and what little bit of fishing stuff they sell could fit into a bushel basket. They may sell licenses but sure don't have any decent fishing section. At least with Gander Mountain I could find what I wanted. :'( :'(

geo315

• My favorite place.
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2017, 07:12 AM »
FYI.  Gander in Binghamton.   I went there yesterday and was looking for two item.  6x leaders.   GONE.       kayak anchor.  GONE.   I did see a lot of 20% sales on stuff I dont need.  I did not look all around the store so I cant say anything about that.  I saw many persons walking out   empty handed.  Hope that helps. GEo.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2017, 04:55 PM »
Nothing new there Geo. I walked out empty handed most every time I went there.

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

DANMAN

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2017, 08:20 PM »
I heard gander in Binghamton getting new owner. 

I bought a few items there over time. jerky cannon, a few rod combos ,  but generally everyday prices were high

cabelas in Allentown not much better

dicks now ski jackets and golf clubs and spandex

basic Needs I go to Wally World    or catch a bass pro sale.  or the eBay for lures

imo

huntbeagles86

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2017, 10:39 AM »
the gander in cicero   had a lot of  people that didn't know  crap ...they treated custmers  bad and  the prices sucked ...I always drove  a few miles went to all seasons  or bass pro

to  the manager  of the gander  in cicero I'm the guy  you wouldn't help  by getting me a pound of black powder you told me  to get a number and get in line ... now you can get in a unemployment line....... ;D
same guy I asked while standing in the firearms department where the spare magazines were and he told me all books and reading material were in the front of the store!!  great product knowledge

filetandrelease

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2017, 10:59 AM »
I and the mrs have had some bad experiences at gander together and separately , I to get most of my stuff at All Seasons ,
it's nice to get stuff in my home town , plus All Seasons  will order stuff for you , they also have an online store ,
Far as bass pro auburn NY , the times I've been there have all been positive experiences

bigal409

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2017, 12:38 PM »
Newspaper says that the Binghamton and Syracuse stores will be reopening under the new name of Gander Outdoors. Sure hope they carry more fishing products than Dick's does. Funny, The first ever Dick's store opened on Court Street in Binghamton as a bait and tackle shop and look at them now. They barely sell any bait and tackle. ??? ??? ???

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2017, 04:58 PM »
There's no profit in bait. There's cartloads of profit in overpriced clothing made in China, Malaysia, Pakistan and anywhere but the USA.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

MattyP123

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2017, 05:56 PM »
Fish USA  :thumbup_smilie: . There's not really anything as far as mom and pop shops around here.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2017, 06:42 PM »
Fish USA is a great company to do business with. Nice people, good service.

Rg

boondox

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2017, 08:27 PM »
I all most said fish usa on my orignal post but did not want to be overly redundant lol's cause I think we all know how great fish usa is.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.