FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Let's talk Tactics...  (Read 4251 times)

NH Trout Fisherman

• MFF Mod Team
  • FISHIN 4 BIG TROUT!
Let's talk Tactics...
« on: May 13, 2017, 07:40 AM »
Hey Guys.

Haven't been out too much yet. Just a couple short trips with My son (5) to get him out there and see how he does in the boat. Surprisingly He's been really good about it and We were out a good 5-6hrs before he had enough.

I've found early season when.the water is still on the colder/cooler side 40's to low 50's... That the fishing is typically slower. Fish will be tighter to shore where water  a is a bit warmer and also typically chasing the smelt/sucker spawn. Once the surface temps get into the upper 50's to mid 60's the action seems to pick up.

Speed wise I usually stay between 1.3 to 2mph if using live bait and 2 to 2.8 with different streamers or hardware depending on what gives the particular lure the best action.
General rule is right around 2mph.

Obviously every lake is different and varying conditions play a factor. Some years things warm up quicker than others... But generally I've found mid May to mid June to be best for Me.

I usually keep a journal and have found it to help Me quite a bit when comparing conditions and results year to year. I do pretty well and was curious what others feel works best for them?

I read alot of posts regarding Winnepesauke but I rarely bother to fish there. I know alot of people usually do well with the salmon early season there but don't hear much  about any early action else where. I mostly fish alot of the other larger water bodies in the lakes region and further north and what I posted above is usually my strategy/findings for lakes on those areas. Just Curious what others thought? As early season is typically slow for Me in the boat unless otherwise chasing rainbows and salmon in the small tribs.. ( Haven't bothered with that for a few years now) because the window is generally small and thanks to the internet things get a little too crowded for my liking.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Mr.Harry

Re: Let's talk Tactics...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 08:21 AM »
...crickets...
Has seemed awful quiet here so far this spring and not many pics being shared. I'm thinking folks might be keeping their cards close to there chests until after the derby has finished? Or it's just been slow...

NH_RED

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 08:25 AM »
I think any successful fishermen will follow most of what you wrote. I will add that waterbodies  in general seem to cycle especially the larger ones. The smaller well stocked water bodies are more consistent and better for young fishermen with short attention spans. I have hit three waterbodies just right over the last few years and caught some big fsh at high
Rates. Year before or after were so so. Timing is everything...

dickbaker

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 08:46 AM »
I always wait for the lilac to blossom.  Usually end of May here in the mountains! 
Dick

bassfun

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 12:10 PM »
Just go deeper with downriggers the bows and browns are just waiting for you

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 06:49 PM »
If your boy is good in the boat for 5-6 hours and your boat is big enough for the big lake, I would strongly recommend Winni. Even a small boat can be safely used in smaller bays like the southern tip of Alton bay out to where it touches the broads, Paugus bay, Saunders, Weirs, and Merideth and all are proven producers. I wouldn't go out in less than a 16 footer though. There WinniDerby is great for kids also as there are youth divisions but the derby going 3 days can be grind on kids (and adults) so pick the BEST time to get him out like Friday or Saturday morning.

Everything you said is pretty accurate:
-Salmon fishing seems to peak for me when water temps are 45-55. A tend to get gradual decline in success from 55-65 and fish seem to go deeper
-slow for live bait and 1.5-2.5 for metal...maybe faster for streamers
-top 20 feet of water column until June but don't be afraid to go deeper if you are not catching or shallower after June in early morning/late afternoon
-drop in at AJs (not during derby week as he will be busy) and tell him what you are trying to do with your son. Pay attention to the details he gives on specific lures (he will help you pick them), depth, speed, locations that area producing, leader type and length, leadcore colors, etc....he will provide all this information if asked. Of course its only polite to patronize his business while there gathering info.
-expect lower catch rates at Squam, Sunapee and Winnisquam but perhaps some larger fish....kids don't care if they catch a 20 or 24 inch fish...they want to catch numbers.
-never fished the north country but the CT lakes has good rep
-Sebago has been good to me too.
-watch the weather on Winni. If winds exceed 10mph...things get rough fast...even dangerous over 15-20 mph and definitely tough if you are driving and helping land fish for your boy.
-consider switching the stock treble hooks to single siwash hooks. I did that swap and actually do better at retaining fish on my siwash hooks and removing hooks is MUCH faster and better for fish you release.

and yes...its lead up to derby time. Nobody wants to give their game plan on a public message board. I wouldn't expect much detail in speed, depth, lure color or type, location etc for the next week but take advantage of the archives in the message board at fishlakewinni.com search feature. There is YEARS of postings there including from guides. Great way to spend a rainy day reviewing archives during the times of year you are going to fish.

I'm pretty sure NHTF was just trying to start some discussion here?
He's fairly familiar with NH fishing.  ;)

You did share some very good info for others though, Mike.

JoeGG

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 07:25 PM »
They're on to you Keith ;D

JoeGG

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 07:35 PM »
I used to catch salmon in Winni three feet under a float off my buddy's dock with a worm or a shiner up until the 1st of July at 4:30 am until the sun came up and then they were gone. Water was 15 feet off his dock.

I also used to get salmon on a white and red dot mooselook in Ossipee trolling at sunset during 4th of July week. Trolling speed was 3 mph and I was right on top over 50 feet with just 2 split shots. My daughter and I had evenings where we would get 1/2 dozen sometimes.

So you never know. The normal techniques don't work all the time.

NH_RED

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 08:59 PM »
You got 4 days to figure it out ;)

Mr.Harry

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 11:06 PM »
Going to Rangely for four days of fishing mem day weekend. That timing generally works out well for me at that latitude. Although last year it was a total bust. But then ice out was way early (for there) and I actually fished the weekend AFTER mem day. We did everything - sewn bait and flutter spoons at low speeds, heavier hardware at higher speeds, lead lines, rigger, flats, streamers, dipseys, up down and all around. No planers though... but we've never needed them in the past to do well. Regardless, we did really poorly. Some general rules I try to adhere to are, the closer to ice out the slower the troll and the more success on sewn smelt. Work the inlets where they're running to spawn hard. Once the water warms to the mid or high 40's, it's anybodies game, speed, or tactic depending on what's working. 2 mph, 2.5, etc. sewn bait always seems to work for me, but I'll put something big and flashy a couple feet in front of it - a double willow blade with some tape on the blades. And I like a heftier smelt sewn on at higher speeds. Or, spoons with more weight to them. I like Suttons in all shapes and sizes. I just find that that the flutters catch more at very slow speeds (around 1 mph) and that the heavies produce at higher. Brookies up there have amazed me in how large-profile a spoon they will hit, by how small a fish, when the bite is on.

NH Trout Fisherman

• MFF Mod Team
  • FISHIN 4 BIG TROUT!
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 06:35 AM »
I'm pretty sure NHTF was just trying to start some discussion here?
He's fairly familiar with NH fishing.  ;)

You did share some very good info for others though, Mike.

;)

Exactly.

NH Trout Fisherman

• MFF Mod Team
  • FISHIN 4 BIG TROUT!
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 06:36 AM »
They're on to you Keith ;D

Well Sh*t...   :laugh:

Don't know what I'm gonna do now? Lol

dickbaker

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 08:44 AM »
Well Sh*t...   :laugh:

Don't know what I'm gonna do now? Lol

Your going to publish those journals with times and location. 
Dick

BarringtonBrad

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 03:49 PM »
I haven't gotten out enough for useful info lol only one short trip,water temp was only 47 got a few small fish and lost a cocker,fish we were marking were about 20 feet down.I've been out 4 other times hitting the tributary waters on foot using salmon jigs only really but I plan on fishing all weekend and I believe I have a trick up my sleeve,gonna troll something totally new and if the surface temp is right it could be a slaughterfest!

zwiggles

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 05:29 PM »
I am a total novice compared to most of the posters on this board, but after really beginning to pay attention about three years ago I have noticed some cycles in how I target trout while trolling.

After ice out we have done well at speeds around 2 mph with streamers. I have a bunch of tandem streamers which rarely are used on except for early season. I love getting a salmon the fly rod with a grey ghost. My dad and grandfather have all fished this way  for salmon, and I have seen this technique work even during the warmest months (in ideal conditions).

Early in the year, we like to fish the shoreline a lot, but once the water gets Warmer we switch to deeper water. Even though we are fishing in deeper water we generally still get most fish in the top 20' of the water column. We still troll the shoreline (especially early morning) until July, but then usually only when the bite is off and we try to pull up some smallmouth.

Once it warms up in July I find the fishing picks up. Fish are more concentrated, and with modern equipment they can be easier to target. I usually slow down trolling speeds to around 1.8, and fish mainly downriggers, and lead core. August again is usually a great month. I find myself increasing speeds, and catching many more fish on small flies than with metal.

September can be hit or miss for me trolling. I usually have a bunch of slow trips during this month, but have also had two of my best days during September. I find in September the fish can be anywhere, and usually have several slow days before getting one banner day when the fishing iis on fire, using the same tactics all the while.

I have just become a big fan of sewn bait after having some success, and this surely will change my approach when fishing is slow as it gives me another weapon in the tool box. I like all kinds of lures, and realize I have a problem... Some of my favorites are mooselooks, and flash kings (which are ridiculously hard to find now that their no longer made) of all sizes, DBs, Michigan stingers, and Washington lures, guide specials, and top guns. Some lakes I will also use stick baits, like rapalas.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned for trolling is "match the hatch" idea. If you can match your lure to the size/profile of the baitfish the fish are going after it can really help. It did for me at least. Some lures/flies only get used a few weeks out of the year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.