FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Winni Derby Rules  (Read 2162 times)

JoeGG

Winni Derby Rules
« on: May 14, 2017, 06:12 PM »
Ok, I know I'm opening up a can of worms but here it goes. If you catch a potential winner off a dock after trolling all day is it ok to enter as long as another ticket holder is present? It also doesn't say you can't fish alone in a boat. It just says anyone in the boat has to be registered. So, if you have two boats and only three guys, and the guy in the single boat hooks up within sight of your other two buddies, can one of them be used as a witness if he sees him fight and land the fish?

BTW.  We have four guys

NH_RED

Re: Winni Derby Rules
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 06:45 PM »
All I know is there's a good chance one of us will be reeling in the derby winner while the  other nets it ;D

IcePhishin

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 07:34 PM »
Good questions Joe.  I think as long as you have a witness you are good.  And as long as the witness can pass a lie detector test, if it gets to that, you are good as well.  Good luck this weekend my man.  I will touch base later this week.

gorilla head

• tbe back porch II
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 05:25 AM »
Good questions Joe.  I think as long as you have a witness you are good.  And as long as the witness can pass a lie detector test, if it gets to that, you are good as well.  Good luck this weekend my man.  I will touch base later this week.

I agree I don't t5hink your witness has to be in your boat. It still would be nice if a person could fish alone. I think the witness rule is just a way to have people buy more tickets and the rule should in my opinion be changed. Three guys in two different boats? Are you both really going to be fishing in view of each other ? A guy if he wants to should be able to fish alone. I am not going because of that rule and the elevated cost. I do want to wish everyone who does go great success and hope the weather is good
GH

dickbaker

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 07:38 AM »
Joe,  I actaully witness a young fellow winning a nice Derby boat, while bobber fishing off the Ame's Farm dock.  His  dad was his witness.
A single fisherman  being witnessed by a nearby boat would be great but bring up a lots questions.   I agree that the rule should be eliminated.
On the other hand I would find it really hard to fish by myself when the wind is up.  I remember hitting a double of big salmon off Diamond Island
with my son as mate.   Trying steer into the wind while fight two fish found us almost turning completely around.  Was exiting but I can't imagine doing it all alone??
Dick

ericbres

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 09:06 AM »
If I can piggy-back on this "witness" rule with a question ...

Does anyone have any input/experience with the "everyone in the boat needs to be registered" rule?

I get that they want to make sure people who are fishing are registered, and there are registered witnesses, but doesn't ANYONE have a spouse/child/grandparent that just wants to tag along for the ride?

Our group has ~14 people going up to camp this weekend for the derby, some who simply don't fish at all (aren't even license holders) - are we really expected to tell them "sorry Gramps/Aunt Suzie/kids, you have to stay on the dock or back at camp because we can't have you on the boat"?

Seems absurd, especially if both boats will have at least 2 registered fisherman on board.

dickbaker

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 10:18 AM »
eric   Afraid that's the way it is.  Maybe we should all get together and try to get them to change that rule?
Dick

Smells Like Fish NH

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 08:33 AM »
I enter a lot of tournaments, ALL of them have that rule.

Just the way it is. Their justification would be that adding additional people on the boat allows more lines to go in the water. Ive also been curious about how F&G handles license issues when the same sort of scenario happens. A few may be fishing and others may be along for the ride, but how do they do a license check when lines are in the water while trolling and there are some unlicensed on the boat?

Any ways....that rule wont be changing anytime soon.
If anyone is interested in being in a FB group about NH fishing with few limitations and no Richard Craniums...send me a PM... 3000+members strong and growing! Search "New Hampshire Fishing" and ask to join

dickbaker

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 10:41 AM »
 ??? ::)  Years ago I had a friend fishing the Lake Ontario Derby out of Oswego.   He fished alone and came in with two Kings that might have taken first and third place??  No Luck?  He was fishing alone??
Dick

MikeF-NH

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 05:42 PM »
While I don't understand the need for a witness (the polygraph should be sufficient if any questions)....I do understand the need for everyone in the boat to have a derby ticket. The later being: I could buy one ticket for $55 and have 4 licensed anglers with no ticket in the boat and put 8 lines out. I pick up any rod with a fish on and thus have the angling power of 5 anglers for the derby while buying only one ticket.

JoeGG

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 06:49 PM »
While I don't understand the need for a witness (the polygraph should be sufficient if any questions)....I do understand the need for everyone in the boat to have a derby ticket. The later being: I could buy one ticket for $55 and have 4 licensed anglers with no ticket in the boat and put 8 lines out. I pick up any rod with a fish on and thus have the angling power of 5 anglers for the derby while buying only one ticket.
Very good Mike. This seems to be the most logical explanation. I think you hit the nail on the head.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.