FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake Ontario water level  (Read 3317 times)

filetandrelease

Lake Ontario water level
« on: May 16, 2017, 08:05 AM »

Well Lake Ontario has hit an all time record height since June 1952 at 248.75' ,  she's now at 248.8'

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
Re: Lake Ontario water level
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 08:27 AM »
 I was in little Sodus bay a month ago helping a friend modify a boat lift. The water was high then and rising. Some property owners were headed for trouble then. Can't imagine now.

On another note, my Charter Captain bud has been limiting on the browns.  ;D

hinkydo

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 08:52 PM »
I can not even launch my boat to fish , every boat launch in Fair Haven shut down even the State launch at the park.

hinkydo

FISHFORPIKE

• Phil
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 04:56 AM »
One thing I read yesterday was "they" didn't expect Ontario to crest until early June.
One thing, for sure -- fishing in the river is sure different this season.
Seaway Shipping Notice, yesterday, was that they going to begin releasing water towards Montreal. Levels should begin to fall.

SEAWAY NOTICE NO. 9 - 2017
Increased Flows – Montreal Lake Ontario Section
Mariners are advised that the International Lake Ontario St. Lawrence River Board (Board)
has ordered that outflows from Lake Ontario through the St. Lawrence River be increased in
stages in order to help alleviate flooding conditions around Lake Ontario. The Board may
release flows as high as 9,910 cubic meters per second (cms) at first and then to 10,200
cms. The Seaways plan to continue operations at these outflows. These flows will create
velocities higher than normal in the navigation channels and variations in the normal
current patterns may occur. Mariners are advised to take these conditions into account
when transiting the Montreal-Lake Ontario Section.
As a result of the high flows and effective immediately, no meeting or passing will be
allowed in the following critical areas:
• American Narrows, between Sunken Rock Shoal, U.S. LT 189 and Rock Island Light,
U.S. LT 213
• Brockville Narrows, between buoys 138 and 147
• Wiley Dondero Canal, between Eisenhower Lock and buoy 56
Mariners are to adjust their speeds accordingly to accomplish this.
Mariners should exercise caution when navigating in areas of high cross currents such as
Galop Island, Toussaint Island, Ogden Island, Copeland Cut and South Cornwall Channel
(Polly’s Gut).
The Board will continue to assess water level and flow conditions to determine if further flow
increases will be required. If the Board determines that it is necessary to increase outflows
to above 10,200 cms, it will be necessary to suspend navigation intermittently prior to
which another Notice will be issued.
Mariners are reminded that there is a zero tolerance for ship’s draft in excess of the
maximum permissible draft, as per Seaway Notice No. 8. Mariners are to operate at the
lowest safe speeds to minimize their wake, particularly when navigating close to shore.
Speed limits outlined in Montreal-Lake Ontario Notices to Shipping Nos.14 and 15 remain in
effect.
Information on outflows will be provided in special radio messages as required and these
messages will be posted on our Great Lakes-Seaway website.
Mariners are invited to provide feedback to the Traffic Control Centers on navigation
conditions encountered due to the higher than normal outflows.
May 16, 2017
Member - Black Lake Hooks & Bullets Crowd

TomGIfishing

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 08:56 AM »
I was on Lake Ontario last Saturday from the mouth of the Niagara River eastward for a couple of miles and the shore is falling in. We saw several properties that are at risk, several that have brought in boulders and heavy equipment too. I was amazed at the shoreline erosion and the amount of debris in the water!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 03:18 PM »
My Bride and I went to Webster Park for a picnic lunch this afternoon. I've never seen the water over the breakwall.

There's usually at least a 4' drop to the water.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 05:38 AM »
ya  want to  use  your head and  becareful  with your boat wake
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Shawner

• I'm goin' fishin'
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 07:55 AM »
That's one of my favorite spring spots for trout/perch and I also have never seen it over the break wall. Up to it maybe but, that's a tell tale pic on just how high the level has risen... :o

hinkydo

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 08:43 AM »
The highest level I have ever seen, even in the river
Finally got my big boat in the water, Cape Vincent St. Lawrence River, at Anchor Marina.
Chartered Fri. and Sat. for northerns, kept 4 two day total released 8 hammer handles.
Hope to find some perch this coming weekend.

hinkydo

NeverEnoughFishing

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 11:09 AM »
Is the town launch in the Cape able to be used or is that under water too?  ???

hinkydo

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 09:10 PM »
Water is over the dock ,Tough launch but there where boats launching.

hinkydo

NeverEnoughFishing

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 06:56 AM »
Thanks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.