FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Champlain Leaders  (Read 2308 times)

Rainbow1

• Greenland Cove
Champlain Leaders
« on: May 16, 2017, 02:40 PM »
Gonna be fishing Keeler Bay and the Inland Sea.  Usually use 6lb test for the riggers and lead core.  Do I need to bump up to 10lb?

dickbaker

Re: Champlain Leaders
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 05:44 PM »
I would stay with 6 lb.  and watch the drag carefully.   I want to hear how you do at Keeler and the IS?  I won't be able to get there for another week.
Dick

Perchbait

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 06:40 PM »
As Dick said, you can you as light of a line as you dare to go, just be prepared to loosen your drag if you hook into a 7 pounder! Good luck out there, and I'm not saying that you can't catch fish in Keeler's or the IS, but my Dad's friend has seen very little boat activity out there and he lives in the islands. He also stopped by his camp on Keelers a couple of times and only saw maybe one or two boats. It seemed to me that even when there were 30 boats in there a couple of weeks ago, people weren't really catching all the much for Salmon. Not sure if we were early or if the salmon were earlier? Anyways, just a heads up. Look forward to hearing all about your trip! Tight lines, PB.
perch bait on IS, if you couldn't figure that out on your own. ;)

Rainbow1

• Greenland Cove
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 03:15 AM »
Would we be better off going out and starting at the cowbanks or going through the gut to the main part of the lake?  Arriving on memorial day.

Perchbait

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 06:18 AM »
Not really sure. If you wanted to go to the main part of the lake, then I would recommend putting in at Vantine's launch on West Shore Road. The lake is still very cold and the thermocline hasn't begun to set up yet so the fish seem to be really spread out. You should have no problem picking up some lakers on the main lake side, we haven't fished in that area for salmon, so I can't help you there. For more information on where to go for Salmon and Lakers, I would recommend http://www.lakechamplainunited.com/forums/ . Good luck and tight lines.
perch bait on IS, if you couldn't figure that out on your own. ;)

dickbaker

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 07:24 AM »
Rainbow,   Launch at Apple Island state access.   Make troll to the north for a few passes.  If you don't get hits or mark fish work your way east  over to the Georgia shore .   I don't think you will find many salmon in Keeler Bay this time of the year?   There should be some salmon, brown trout and steelhead available now that the water has warmed. 
Good Luck and keep us up to date.
Dick

crayfish2

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 09:04 AM »
As Perchbait said, there continues to be very little boat traffic in the inland sea.  I think people are fishing elsewhere while waiting for the thermocline to set up in the sea.  The warmer weather this week will definitely help in that regard.  You should be able to find salmon in the inland sea along the cowbanks or Georgia shore.  Look for pockets of warmer water, which will form in different areas depending on the wind direction.  If you want to catch lakers, you'll have to either go under the Sandbar bridge and out through the Colchester fill along the outer edge of Mallett's Bay, or go north and through the Gut.  Lakers seem to be congregated outside of the Colchester fill right now, but that will change quickly if the water warms up.  It's still only 43deg on the surface out there.

For leaders, the salmon don't seem to be particularly line shy.  We use 8lb leaders a lot, but also hook directly to the 17lb test on our big rods.  Never noticed a difference in which get bit.

Good luck!

dickbaker

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 10:29 AM »
 ??? ::)  And wherever you go, give us a report.
Dick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.