FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Good places to camp and fish?  (Read 4699 times)

nhbassman

Good places to camp and fish?
« on: May 29, 2017, 08:01 PM »
I'm looking for a good place to camp and fish with the wife and rug rat, if anyone can help me out with some good spots that would be great.

stripernut

Re: Good places to camp and fish?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 12:03 AM »
Fresh or salt? I like Hermit Island for the salt.

MikeF-NH

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 06:07 AM »
Moosehillock Campground (about 20 miles west of Plymouth is VERY family friendly. They have a large shallow pool with a PirateShip/waterslide at one end and a very small deeper section at the opposite end. They have nightly family oriented shows and loads of activities for the kids. They stock their onsite pond with trout and there is other fishing in the area.

If you don't care about the other things for kids and are just looking for decent fishing (probably from a boat), there are two campgrounds on Pemigewasset Lake in Ashland/Merideth. Tamarack is the one across the highway from Pemi and Merideth Woods is a bit nicer and right on the pond. I think they are both owned by the same people and am not sure if the campgrounds have rental rowboats/canoes/yaks on site.

haightdaddy

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 06:12 AM »
X2 on hermit island, go there every year for a week and chase stripers around. Cool place and fairly inexpensive

ericbres

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 07:40 AM »
x2 on Moosehillock campground. We stay there about every other year. Although I don't much fish in their stocked pond, the campground itself is great and the surrounding fishing is pretty good.

Although, when you said "camp and fish" my first thought was Umbagog lake. There is a state park campground there and the fishing is pretty darn good.

Another place to check out, although it's tough to find a spot thanks to the ATV riding, is Jericho State Park. My family stays there to ATV, but I've fished that lake many times and always have done well.

jibbs

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 08:49 AM »
lake umbagog has some pretty cool remote sites on the lake and you can also go south and fish the Androscoggin river...great pull off for small bbq's and shore fishing...hermit island is cool but fills up pretty fast
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

nhbassman

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 07:25 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. For now it will just be fresh water, breaking in a new fishing lady so anywhere that we could cast from shore and camp. These dont have to be lunker havens, just for starters i think going after panfish sounds fun? But from the sounds of it how can you go wrong with hermit island

nhbassman

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 09:27 PM »
Fresh or salt? I like Hermit Island for the salt.
Hermit island sounds fun, but id like some fresh water places. Figured i'd start with panfish/hook bobber and live worm as shes only five.

nhbassman

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 09:31 PM »
Moosehillock Campground (about 20 miles west of Plymouth is VERY family friendly. They have a large shallow pool with a PirateShip/waterslide at one end and a very small deeper section at the opposite end. They have nightly family oriented shows and loads of activities for the kids. They stock their onsite pond with trout and there is other fishing in the area.

If you don't care about the other things for kids and are just looking for decent fishing (probably from a boat), there are two campgrounds on Pemigewasset Lake in Ashland/Merideth. Tamarack is the one across the highway from Pemi and Merideth Woods is a bit nicer and right on the pond. I think they are both owned by the same people and am not sure if the campgrounds have rental rowboats/canoes/yaks on site.
Thanks doesn't have to be super family friendly just some where that we can camp near on on the water and catch plenty of fish from shore, shes never fished before, so panfish seems like a good idea for a 1st timer?

nhbassman

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 09:33 PM »
x2 on Moosehillock campground. We stay there about every other year. Although I don't much fish in their stocked pond, the campground itself is great and the surrounding fishing is pretty good.

Although, when you said "camp and fish" my first thought was Umbagog lake. There is a state park campground there and the fishing is pretty darn good.

Another place to check out, although it's tough to find a spot thanks to the ATV riding, is Jericho State Park. My family stays there to ATV, but I've fished that lake many times and always have done well.
Thanks they both sound great, i've heard plenty about the both of them.

nhbassman

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 09:37 PM »
lake umbagog has some pretty cool remote sites on the lake and you can also go south and fish the Androscoggin river...great pull off for small bbq's and shore fishing...hermit island is cool but fills up pretty fast
Thanks. Where do you think id catch the most fish from shore, be able to camp near by/on,it can be any type of fish just want her to enjoy it, the 4 year old hasn't been fishing yet.

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 05:24 AM »
Thanks. Where do you think id catch the most fish from shore, be able to camp near by/on,it can be any type of fish just want her to enjoy it, the 4 year old hasn't been fishing yet.

I wouldn't take a 4 year old to the Andro take river has a strong current especially if the water is high. Do you have a boat?

dickbaker

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 06:18 AM »
My all time favorite is Burton Island campground in St. Albans  Vermont.  They deliver you by boat and the shore fishing for panfish or even pike and bass is terrific.
Dick

fishlessman

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 08:56 AM »
pawtuckaway has easy fish to catch and theres canoe rentals at the state park

Steve H.

« Reply #14 on: Jun 01, 2017, 01:00 PM »
Coleman State Park in Dixville Notch is absolutely gorgeous.   It's on Little Diamond Pond which is heavily stocked with trout and is easy to fish from shore.  Kid friendly.  The nearby Mohawk River has good fishing at times too.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.