FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Needing some gift advice from the pro fisherman  (Read 3931 times)

JohnTom

Needing some gift advice from the pro fisherman
« on: May 30, 2017, 02:15 AM »
Hello My Fish Finder Forum,

I just want to say that it's awesome that I found this forum and that I am looking forward to speaking with you all. As you guys can see from the title I am looking for some gift advice from you pro fisherman. It is my Grandfather's birthday coming up in about 5 weeks time. He will be turning 65 years of age but he's still going like a 25 years old stud! Being as it's his birthday and that he's also retiring I'm wanting to get him something real nice but I don't know where to start. He's been a fisherman most of his life from sea fishing to lakes and ponds, he truly loves the thrill of fishing. Every weekend he will collect all his gear togeather and go away for the day, sometimes the whole night. After he retires, he is planning on taking up much more fishing with his free time so I would love to get him something hobby related, this way the gift will actually get used. I got him many presents from sites like this http://www.used.forsale/australia/ as an example but I'm looking for something a little more personalized/one of a kind.

Me, I have been fishing with my grandfather a few times but not for a long old time now, always getting caught up with work. On his birthday I have planned to go out fishing with him for a birthday because that's where he will be and then, a nice family meal at night. The only part missing now is the gift. Hoping you guys can help me out getting him something nice! What would you guys want?

If there is any information that you guys need please let me know and I will get it added on ASAP

Thanks

Spider1

Re: Needing some gift advice from the pro fisherman
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 05:31 AM »
wow, tough one... it's hard enough to pick a gift for dear old pappy when you know him. I'm gonna assume that he has pretty much all the gear that he needs or wants. Does he fish from a boat? Does he need a new rod or reel? Does he kayak fish? In the last few years is he mostly lake fishing, trout, panfish, bass? Or is he headed for the surf? deep water or shallow?

A buddy of mine's son got him a few of his favorite lures and a dozen expensive cigars. On my last b-day my son got me a bottle of bourbon (if that's a possibility, ask him what his favorite is cuz really... kids tastes aren't quite as refined as pappy's, lol!)

or maybe get him an action camera like a gopro. My wife just got me one of them to play with on my kayak.

then there's the old stand bys, a new fillet knife or flashlight! I got one of those every year for years!

Or maybe take him to Cabelas and let him run around like a kid in a candy store. Usually works for me  ;D

geo315

• My favorite place.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 06:52 AM »
I would say, if possible,   take a few days off yourself and show up when he plans to go .  Spend those few days with him.  He will remember that more than any old present. G.

ericbres

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 07:34 AM »
It can be costly ... but does he already have a lifetime fishing license? If he doesn't, and it's out of your reach (financially), maybe a few of your family members would be willing to chip it.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 08:13 AM »
Fishing gear is basically impossible to buy for a life long, dedicated fisherman. There are countless means and methods and target species... who knows what he already has... that said, a friend of mine bought me this and it's fun getting every month: https://mysterytacklebox.com/

You can spend as much or as little as you want and every month a new mystery box shows up with tackle in it. Honestly it's more fun than anything, but it's pretty cool and I enjoy it.

filetandrelease

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 08:28 AM »
I would say, if possible,   take a few days off yourself and show up when he plans to go .  Spend those few days with him.  He will remember that more than any old present. G.
That would be great or if you can swing it a charter for a fish that he may like to catch ,

ericbres

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 09:15 AM »
Fishing gear is basically impossible to buy for a life long, dedicated fisherman. There are countless means and methods and target species... who knows what he already has... that said, a friend of mine bought me this and it's fun getting every month: https://mysterytacklebox.com/

You can spend as much or as little as you want and every month a new mystery box shows up with tackle in it. Honestly it's more fun than anything, but it's pretty cool and I enjoy it.

x2 on Mystery Tackle Box ... my fiance got this for me a couple years back. I know sometimes these mystery deals can be "shady" - but they honestly send great stuff. It's almost like they truly want you to catch fish  ;)

I've used just about everything they sent me at one time or another. And it's not just tackle - I've received DudeWipes and other fishing-related helpful things in the boxes.

zwiggles

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 09:42 AM »

I think this is a great idea, or even doing a charter for the species he likes.

jibbs

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 10:45 AM »
a simple gift would be to find an old 4 x 6 photo of his favorite catch that is not displayed in a frame somewhere and blow up into a giant size picture and frame it...a nice black and white or something of that nature that he could hang on  his wall
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 11:02 AM »
I would second the Lifetime License. When my girls got me mine I was speechless for days!!!  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Knot there yet

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 08:53 PM »
His Fishing's licenses
Nothing he'll use more than that
Now with online. He's pro that means couple different states.
Best gift I ever got cause I used it. My $.02

fishinjohn

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 09:05 PM »
X2

fishinjohn

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 09:07 PM »
That charter idea is a great choice too!

jibbs

« Reply #13 on: Jun 01, 2017, 08:36 AM »
curious..why would he need a fishing license if turning 65...in new Hampshire fishing is free after 65...is it different I your state?
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

bshirtd

• If he aint 2 liters throw em back
« Reply #14 on: Jun 01, 2017, 10:00 AM »
The fishing license would depend on the state. In NY the fee drops at 70 for a lifetime. I always ask for gift cards at this point anything I want is way more than a gift should cost.
black shirt defense .... swarm and punish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.