FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Thoughts on a rod?  (Read 4802 times)

ICEHOLE

Thoughts on a rod?
« on: Jun 02, 2017, 01:08 PM »
I have lots of fishing rods, nothing of high quality but a bunch of different lengths and actions for different things...To some it may seem crazy but i started using a much longer rod this year and i really like the way it casts, and fights fish. I also like being able to reach the tip of my rod past the front of my kayak. I have been using a 9' medium 2 piece. I really like it but i want basically the same thing but in a medium/heavy and I have found this is VERY hard to come by. I will be using it mainly bass fishing with swim baits, spinners, and other bigger lures. Any body have any suggestions? 2 piece is needed because i have a 2 door jeep wrangler and i know that eliminates some higher end options...If anyone has any thoughts i would love to hear!
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

stripernut

Re: Thoughts on a rod?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 02, 2017, 03:02 PM »
Write and McGill; WMMHD86S2   Medium Heavy Drifter   8'6"   2   1/2 - 2 oz.   12 - 25 lbs.   Med. Heavy   Spinning

I use it anytime I want to get some more distance and at under $80, it is a deal...

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 2017, 03:07 PM »
solid recommendation;

I also prefer to use longer rods.  Diawa's acculight rods are a steal at 44.99.   I used the 9'6" Medium last year for drifting skein to King Salmon in the fall, and I had no issues.   Also used the rod for stripers in November and it worked great.   they have a 8'6" medium heavy if you need something with some more backbone.

Baitbucket

« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2017, 05:33 PM »
Write and McGill; WMMHD86S2   Medium Heavy Drifter   8'6"   2   1/2 - 2 oz.   12 - 25 lbs.   Med. Heavy   Spinning

I use it anytime I want to get some more distance and at under $80, it is a deal...

x2 -  I have been using the same rod for years now as well. I think they make a slightly heavier version as well.

wally13

« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2017, 06:41 PM »
st croix

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 2017, 07:12 PM »
st croix

Im a fan.  Couple mojo's and couple triumphs myself. 

trophyhntr

« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2017, 08:36 PM »
consider checking out the ugly stick elite rods. picked up either a m/h or just a heavy action 8.5ft or so I think earlier this year. I'm very happy with it and they run about $60. they have a sensitive clear fiberglass tip on them but with plenty of backbone. looked at bass pro for the same type of rod your looking for and found a better selection at cabelas. good luck on your quest

Baitbucket

« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2017, 05:46 AM »
I have lots of fishing rods, nothing of high quality but a bunch of different lengths and actions for different things...To some it may seem crazy but i started using a much longer rod this year and i really like the way it casts, and fights fish. I also like being able to reach the tip of my rod past the front of my kayak. I have been using a 9' medium 2 piece. I really like it but i want basically the same thing but in a medium/heavy and I have found this is VERY hard to come by. I will be using it mainly bass fishing with swim baits, spinners, and other bigger lures. Any body have any suggestions? 2 piece is needed because i have a 2 door jeep wrangler and i know that eliminates some higher end options...If anyone has any thoughts i would love to hear!

Matt, what size (weight wise) baits are you planning to toss with it?

fishinjohn

« Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2017, 07:00 AM »
st croix
X2 on st.croix
Bought my girlfriend a st.croix for Christmas and she loves it
I'm a big fan of Denali rods.. I have 4 of them. 7 footers.
2 medium spinning rods and 2 MH for pulling crankbaits and bottom bouncers

ICEHOLE

« Reply #9 on: Jun 03, 2017, 10:13 AM »
Matt, what size (weight wise) baits are you planning to toss with it?
big spinners baits. various size swim baits. spro rats, panic preys, lots of big top water.

consider checking out the ugly stick elite rods. picked up either a m/h or just a heavy action 8.5ft or so I think earlier this year. I'm very happy with it and they run about $60. they have a sensitive clear fiberglass tip on them but with plenty of backbone. looked at bass pro for the same type of rod your looking for and found a better selection at cabelas. good luck on your quest
i own a bunch of new and old ugly sticks. I like my medium 7 and 9' gx2 for certain things..i would buy another 9' gx2 med/heavy if they made it. closest thing is a 8'6" steelhead rod...which I'm not sure will have the backbone where I want it. but idk
st croix
I've looked through all of their blanks not much in the length I want. there are plenty of salmon/steelhead rods but are all fast action which I i don't think I want for tossing weight...

this looks interesting thank u!

james1981

« Reply #10 on: Jun 03, 2017, 11:47 AM »
  IF you are looking for A very slow action rod Eagle Claw makes one, Like 20 bucks, pure fiberglass....

Other than that, I like the Cabelas fish Eagle, Not just because I get them at discount but because they are actually a decent rod.

ICEHOLE

« Reply #11 on: Jun 03, 2017, 12:04 PM »
  IF you are looking for A very slow action rod Eagle Claw makes one, Like 20 bucks, pure fiberglass....

Other than that, I like the Cabelas fish Eagle, Not just because I get them at discount but because they are actually a decent rod.
personally i stay away from anything eagle claw...and usually anything store branded (bass pro/ cebelas) as i find the quality usually sux. Tho I would have given it a thought if they had a length long enough..7' max. Last week a spent an hour walking through all the rods and reels at bass pro and didnt see much that fit. So i asked the guy at the counter for a suggestion...he looked at me like i was stupid..."(9'?! wow u really dont want them to get away!) and he dragged me over to saltwater and said that would be the only way i would find what i wanted..and left me to browse the salt rods by myself..this is why i dont ask for help at stores. Google, or this site are more useful in store then employees

james1981

« Reply #12 on: Jun 03, 2017, 12:32 PM »
 Icehole,   

Define SUCKS,  I equate it to being not of high quality, manufacturing or to being terrible to fish with. I Bought an Eagle claw fiberglass rod, In 8'6" long, It is a very slow action, so its like a really long noodle rod. It was 20 dollars, but with my discount it was marked down even lower. Functionality vs price, IF you know a 20 dollar rod is going to last 20 trips that is 1 dollar a trip, I would pay that in a heartbeat, for one season of fishing. However if you get 2 seasons out of it you are doing really good. But it will last longer... Much longer if you take care of your gear. AS far as being a good rod, it is actually one of my favorite right now to fish with, it casts mepps, cleos and spoons a mile. I guess a lot of people equate quality with a price tag, having high end gear is a luxury, but Really don't discount certain products because it is very cheap. FYI the rods are cheap because they are fiberglass, its like 70s technology.  I keep an open mind about those things because I shop functionality and not price or brands.  I really don't see the value in buying a 200 or 300 dollar rod, its just really a waste of money unless you get them at discount. You need to catch a lot of fish to make that worth it.

my philosophy is that a fisherman's chances of catching fish is disproportional to the size of their tackle box. 

james1981

« Reply #13 on: Jun 03, 2017, 12:47 PM »
 I hate to rant, But if you know the different grades of Cabela's rods then you can figure out the manufacturer. I am not sure with Bass pro, I find the redhead brand is crap, and not even in the same league as Cabela's brands. You would be using all Cabela's branded equipment if you had my discount.. I am just saying..

My opinion is that a 9 ft rod in a kayak seems VERY Long,  I would be using a 7ft with braid to get the distance you know they make braid that is really thin now?  you can get 30lb braid that is the diameter of less than 10lb mono.

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Jun 03, 2017, 12:59 PM »
By your sentiments James i wasted a ton of money!   ;D. Thankfully anyone elses opinions about my ownership of high end rods (mostly salt) isn't relevant because value is in the eye of the beholder.  So you cant suggest to me that I need to catch a ton of fish for my rod choices to be worth it.  Maybe I like the way they fish?  Maybe some like my 6-12oz rainshadow serves a specific purpose...you cant buy those capabilities for 20 dollars.  Keep in mind too that for some 300 is the same value as 30 is to you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.