FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Thoughts on a rod?  (Read 4803 times)

ICEHOLE

Re: Thoughts on a rod?
« Reply #15 on: Jun 03, 2017, 02:18 PM »
Icehole,   

Define SUCKS,  I equate it to being not of high quality, manufacturing or to being terrible to fish with. I Bought an Eagle claw fiberglass rod, In 8'6" long, It is a very slow action, so its like a really long noodle rod. It was 20 dollars, but with my discount it was marked down even lower. Functionality vs price, IF you know a 20 dollar rod is going to last 20 trips that is 1 dollar a trip, I would pay that in a heartbeat, for one season of fishing. However if you get 2 seasons out of it you are doing really good. But it will last longer... Much longer if you take care of your gear. AS far as being a good rod, it is actually one of my favorite right now to fish with, it casts mepps, cleos and spoons a mile. I guess a lot of people equate quality with a price tag, having high end gear is a luxury, but Really don't discount certain products because it is very cheap. FYI the rods are cheap because they are fiberglass, its like 70s technology.  I keep an open mind about those things because I shop functionality and not price or brands.  I really don't see the value in buying a 200 or 300 dollar rod, its just really a waste of money unless you get them at discount. You need to catch a lot of fish to make that worth it.

my philosophy is that a fisherman's chances of catching fish is disproportional to the size of their tackle box. 

I dont pick rods based on price...at all. this is why i own about 7 different ugly sticks...they just work, and dont break. and if they do, o well!. For this reason i typically try and stay away from higher end rods. I have ZERO experience with Cabelas rods, or reels. OR bass pros line up for that matter. But i do have one friend that buys cabelas brand everything...and everything he buys from them seems to, come apart, rip, crack, leak or whatever...ya it might be relabeled with their name but it scares me some...id be willing to give it a try if i had a discount too. But when its my money paying retail I am going to do my research.

Im not sure how a 9 foot rod can be too big for a kayak? nothing in the back cast...and my kayak is almost 14'...i like to be able to get my rod tip past the nose of the kayak if im fighting a fish, or wind or whatever.....i mean i go out with a 7' 8' and 9'...i just like the 9 best.

This time i will be buying based on functionality....if the rod that feels best is $200 so be it, if its $20 even better.
I hate to rant, But if you know the different grades of Cabela's rods then you can figure out the manufacturer. I am not sure with Bass pro, I find the redhead brand is crap, and not even in the same league as Cabela's brands. You would be using all Cabela's branded equipment if you had my discount.. I am just saying..

My opinion is that a 9 ft rod in a kayak seems VERY Long,  I would be using a 7ft with braid to get the distance you know they make braid that is really thin now?  you can get 30lb braid that is the diameter of less than 10lb mono.
obviously i am not worried about casting distance in the yak, considering i can reach anywhere on the lake by paddling. its a feel, i like the feel of the hook set and working my lure...idk personal preference. I only use braid. and my 9' medium definitley cast further then my 7' medium with the same braid on both...sooo a 9" with thin braid i would think would be best of both worlds if casting distance is my concern...which it will be when tossing swimbaits at night from shore, or slinging big spoons into the Chu. Thanks for the suggestions tho, all considerations!
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

stripernut

« Reply #16 on: Jun 03, 2017, 02:22 PM »
I think I will wade in here on this subject... I own both higher end rods and more moderately priced rods, I also have had the pleasure of casting many brands (clients equipment) when I am guiding. What I have observed and found, is with a little work you can often find a moderately priced rod that will do nearly as good or as good a job in most fishing situations (sometimes better). I have also watched no other rod brake more, when fighting fish than a St. Croix. They are a great rod to cast, feel great in the hand and a pleasure to fish with (until it brakes) and it is a good thing they have a good warranty... Currently all the St Croix rods I own are for ice fishing and they are going strong! I have spoken to industry insiders that tell me that their failure rate is going down and I am glad to hear it. I think, they were making them just too brittle... But as a guide I am always handing my tackle to other anglers and over the decades, many clients have broken my rods (a couple on the first day they were fished), none of them while fighting fish, just stupid stuff like dropping a big striper on a custom built (in a matched set of 4) 10 wt fly rod, before I had taken a first cast with it (still waiting on that check)... My point is for me, unless it is for tuna, I don't buy high end rods and I do just fine. That does not mean I use cheaply made rods. In the end there is much about rods that fall in the taste category, such as I can not (and many other anglers) stand a Ugly Stick rods and the way they cast, with their incredible soft tip, but some do like them... To each their own. My point is most of the time you can find rods that are moderately priced that will do a great job, you just have to hunt them down... Now reels, that where I put my money...

trophyhntr

« Reply #17 on: Jun 03, 2017, 07:22 PM »
big spinners baits. various size swim baits. spro rats, panic preys, lots of big top water.
i own a bunch of new and old ugly sticks. I like my medium 7 and 9' gx2 for certain things..i would buy another 9' gx2 med/heavy if they made it. closest thing is a 8'6" steelhead rod...which I'm not sure will have the backbone where I want it. but idkI've looked through all of their blanks not much in the length I want. there are plenty of salmon/steelhead rods but are all fast action which I i don't think I want for tossing weight...this looks interesting thank u!
I just looked at the rod I got, it's an ugly stick elite 8'6" heavy action from cabelas

ICEHOLE

« Reply #18 on: Jun 03, 2017, 09:08 PM »
I think I will wade in here on this subject... I own both higher end rods and more moderately priced rods, I also have had the pleasure of casting many brands (clients equipment) when I am guiding. What I have observed and found, is with a little work you can often find a moderately priced rod that will do nearly as good or as good a job in most fishing situations (sometimes better). I have also watched no other rod brake more, when fighting fish than a St. Croix. They are a great rod to cast, feel great in the hand and a pleasure to fish with (until it brakes) and it is a good thing they have a good warranty... Currently all the St Croix rods I own are for ice fishing and they are going strong! I have spoken to industry insiders that tell me that their failure rate is going down and I am glad to hear it. I think, they were making them just too brittle... But as a guide I am always handing my tackle to other anglers and over the decades, many clients have broken my rods (a couple on the first day they were fished), none of them while fighting fish, just stupid stuff like dropping a big striper on a custom built (in a matched set of 4) 10 wt fly rod, before I had taken a first cast with it (still waiting on that check)... My point is for me, unless it is for tuna, I don't buy high end rods and I do just fine. That does not mean I use cheaply made rods. In the end there is much about rods that fall in the taste category, such as I can not (and many other anglers) stand a Ugly Stick rods and the way they cast, with their incredible soft tip, but some do like them... To each their own. My point is most of the time you can find rods that are moderately priced that will do a great job, you just have to hunt them down... Now reels, that where I put my money...

I agree on the tips being a bit too flimsy...this is why I was hoping to go to a bit stiffer rod
I just looked at the rod I got, it's an ugly stick elite 8'6" heavy action from cabelas
I did see that but I am looking for a med/heavy....i think lol

CatchAndReleaseColin

« Reply #19 on: Jun 03, 2017, 09:46 PM »
Woah. Lots of thoughts here.

I personally love ugly sticks - one or another will almost always get the job done -

I have a nice white saltwater ugly stick with a picture of a striper  on it. I think it was 60 bucks. Best rod I've ever had.

But to each their own as far as equipment goes. But I love my ugly sticks!

lowaccord66

« Reply #20 on: Jun 04, 2017, 08:55 AM »
I think I own 6 st croix currently.  Never broke one yet Allan but I also dont overload them.  What I have noticed is the guides rwhprrible.  Thankfully mine are fine but I have a few friends with missing inserts.

All the hot rod breaking action Ive seen has been at the canal.  Mostly lamis, some centuries and st croix. Hard to cite those as manufacturer issues.

Back on topic...Matt check out some of cabelas tourney trail rods.  I've owned a couple and  enjoyed them a lot.  Gave them to my GF's brother who still uses them!  Was looking in the catalog and they have the sizes your after.  80 bucks I think?

On a side note I grew up with ugly sticks and browning rods.  (I still own some browning downrigger rods)

stripernut

« Reply #21 on: Jun 04, 2017, 11:09 AM »
I have had great luck with a 3ps Browning Travel Spinning Rod, have caught fish all over the country with it and got it for like $60 new...

lowaccord66

« Reply #22 on: Jun 04, 2017, 11:21 AM »
I have had great luck with a 3ps Browning Travel Spinning Rod, have caught fish all over the country with it and got it for like $60 new...

Browing was the first grafite rod I owned as a kid.  My graduation from the well loved ugly stick...I quickly broke the browning.  I did enjoy your point about finding mid range price rods that perform as good as the top shelf ones.  There most likely is a curve where eventually where the only metric that changes is the cost.  

On another note...its about to pour.  I slept in...where to take the boat in the rain....

fishinjohn

« Reply #23 on: Jun 04, 2017, 11:28 AM »
Woah. Lots of thoughts here.

I personally love ugly sticks - one or another will almost always get the job done -

I have a nice white saltwater ugly stick with a picture of a striper  on it. I think it was 60 bucks. Best rod I've ever had.

But to each their own as far as equipment goes. But I love my ugly sticks!
I like the ugly sticks because they are virtually indestructible, HOWEVER, they tend to be heavier than I like.. once I switched to my Denali rods (not extremely pricey, yet not cheap) I'll never go back to a cheaper rod.. For the fisherman who fishes a lot, the only way to go is with quality! Imho

Baitbucket

« Reply #24 on: Jun 04, 2017, 01:28 PM »
Matt, the rod Allan and I suggested has been used for years now by us for exactly what you are trying to do.

ICEHOLE

« Reply #25 on: Jun 16, 2017, 03:13 PM »
just wanted to follow up on this thread.
After everyone's advice i went out and found most of the rods that fit length and weight requirements...everything from berkley to st croix 8-9'..after all i have to thank Alan and Will for their suggestions on the wright and mcgill 8'6" medium heavy drifter! it is exactly what i was after... seems much stiffer then the others which i think i wanted ! Thought i scored big when i found it on sale at Dicks for HALF OFF! 34.99! put it in my online cart and realized i ordered a casting version on accident...went to switch to spinning FULL PRICE, and ONLY on the heavy medium...every other size weight was half off but the one i wanted....due to terrible customer service they gave me a $15 credit off $69. Good enough! Thanks for the suggestion. Wanted to post follow up in case anyone else is looking for something similar!

lowaccord66

« Reply #26 on: Jun 16, 2017, 03:21 PM »
Now you must go strip the rod of its virginity!  That's the best part.  I added an ODM jigster to my canal collection and popped its cherry Saturday morning...what a great feeling.

taxid

« Reply #27 on: Jun 16, 2017, 03:46 PM »
I miss my long one piece spinning rod.  ::) Too long to fit in in the overhead as a carry on the plane. Using a short two piece ultra light. Works O.K. but doesn't cast as far. I suppose I could put my spinning reel on my two piece fly rod.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

ICEHOLE

« Reply #28 on: Jun 16, 2017, 05:55 PM »
Now you must go strip the rod of its virginity!  That's the best part.  I added an ODM jigster to my canal collection and popped its cherry Saturday morning...what a great feeling.
Headed out in a bit give her a try!

lowaccord66

« Reply #29 on: Jun 16, 2017, 07:33 PM »
Headed out in a bit give her a try!

Let us know how you make out!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.