FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Thoughts on a rod?  (Read 4804 times)

boondox

Re: Thoughts on a rod?
« Reply #30 on: Jun 16, 2017, 11:02 PM »
If it don't work out for you check out the okuma Celio ce-s-902mha
Price 49.99 line 10 to 30 lb test good for lures 1/2 to 2 ounce
 Couple others out like okuma sst-s-902mh-cg. $89.99 Or shimano cssh2b $109.99 ya that shimano is a heavy action I find the mh shimano's  is to light with a 8 to 12 pound range and a lure weight of 3/8 - 3/4 ounce.. did you find it to long and harder to work your lures like walking dog and etc the long rods are great for casting..I use them for bait fishing for larger bass..  like bobber and a hook with blue gills and chubs etc.. I find it a little hard to use stuff like Zara spooks to walk the dog and to work poppers etc... to each there own if you feel the cheaper rods are better have fun thinking that any how it don't matter what you pay it just maters how well it fishes.. to the o.p. hope the new rod work out for you! 

ICEHOLE

« Reply #31 on: Jun 17, 2017, 05:30 AM »
Let us know how you make out!

I do like the new rod! Was throwing a spro trout bbz1and definitely more distance then the 8' uglystik catfish rod i was using and It didnt feel like the tip is gonna snap off on the cast. Ended up with a  2lber before the rain sent me home
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

lowaccord66

« Reply #32 on: Jun 17, 2017, 08:19 AM »
Nice that's how to do it.  I took the long rod out and missed a hell of a brown throwing streamers last night....doh!

fishbone

« Reply #33 on: Jun 17, 2017, 10:53 AM »
i like fenwicks and stcroix

ICEHOLE

« Reply #34 on: Jun 17, 2017, 11:02 AM »
i like fenwicks and stcroix
I found an awesome deal on a st croix, that fit the bill based on the weights length and action. But holding it in the store, i felt like it wasnt going to have the backbone i was looking for. I almost bought it just because of the deal. Really glad I waited and bought one that felt right instead! Not saying anything wrong with the rod, but medium heavy was not as stiff as i wanted
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

Baitbucket

« Reply #35 on: Jun 17, 2017, 05:07 PM »
just wanted to follow up on this thread.
After everyone's advice i went out and found most of the rods that fit length and weight requirements...everything from berkley to st croix 8-9'..after all i have to thank Alan and Will for their suggestions on the wright and mcgill 8'6" medium heavy drifter! it is exactly what i was after... seems much stiffer then the others which i think i wanted ! Thought i scored big when i found it on sale at Dicks for HALF OFF! 34.99! put it in my online cart and realized i ordered a casting version on accident...went to switch to spinning FULL PRICE, and ONLY on the heavy medium...every other size weight was half off but the one i wanted....due to terrible customer service they gave me a $15 credit off $69. Good enough! Thanks for the suggestion. Wanted to post follow up in case anyone else is looking for something similar!

Glad it worked out well for you Matt. I use that same rod in the salt from my yak and boat for stripers as well. Caught a few albies on it to.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.