FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Difference is fishing "stained" lakes vs. clear  (Read 1740 times)

taxid

Difference is fishing "stained" lakes vs. clear
« on: Jun 04, 2017, 01:45 PM »
What in your opinion are the differences in fishing stained lakes and ponds vs. clear? What differences do you find in the fish feeding habits in these waters? Do you use different colored artificial as in plastic jigs and worms and spoons and plugs in stained waters?

Do you have better fishing in stained or clear waters?

Remember I'm particularly talking about tannin stained waters (tea colored) and not turbid waters due to mud and silt after heavy rains.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences.

:flag:
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

Re: Difference is fishing "stained" lakes vs. clear
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2017, 05:57 PM »
i think the most important thing is bright sunny days.  very clear lakes seem to be ruff on those days.  i find it better to go for stained waters.

cant say whether i catch more on either type of lake.  i have favorites of both.

i tend to use bigger lures in stained waters.  along with more flash, sound, and scents.  more attraction the better. imo 

not all the time, but more so, fish are deeper in clearer waters.

cant say i buy into the, more natural colors deal, in clear waters either.  i have seen gaudy bright stuff catch plenty of fish in clear waters.  i do tend to use brighter colors in stained waters though. falls under the attraction thing.

you tend to have to work fish from a distance on clearer waters too.

fish seem to shut down more in clear waters, when the water gets cloudier/muddier from run off or something.  the stained lake fish handle it better, i think.

i do fallow the, clear water silver blades, and vise versa, rule.  but again i have seen that disproved several times also.  smallies, perch, and crappie, love bright pink/orange, and i dont care what type water they are in.

Thanks. Pretty much what I have found too. I also noticed in one brook trout pond in Maine the brook trout from the stained ponds seemed to have bright colors.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Spider1

« Reply #2 on: Jun 06, 2017, 05:30 AM »
I saw a video the other day where one of the big tourny names explained lure color choice based on water clarity. Basically, the more stained the water is, the more dark your lure color should be. Light colored and even bright colored lures tend to disappear in heavily stained water. In clear water, cloudy days stick with bright colors. Clear water bright days, go to naturals.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Jun 06, 2017, 06:26 AM »
I saw a video the other day where one of the big tourny names explained lure color choice based on water clarity. Basically, the more stained the water is, the more dark your lure color should be. Light colored and even bright colored lures tend to disappear in heavily stained water. In clear water, cloudy days stick with bright colors. Clear water bright days, go to naturals.

Good info!

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #4 on: Jun 15, 2017, 02:22 PM »
For tannic stained waters, i've found that yellows and golds tend to outproduce whites and silvers.

I like to go with a yellow contrast of some sort in tannic stained waters, where as in clear i prefer a single color baits or natural contrasts.

lakes stained due to silt are a different story altogether.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.