FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trolling Motor  (Read 8434 times)

Mac Attack

Re: Trolling Motor
« Reply #45 on: Jun 09, 2017, 09:15 AM »
H2L - go to these 2 links.

This link will explain i-pilot -

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/ipilot/

This link will explain i-pilot link -

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/ipilotlink/

There is a video on each of those 2 links that illustrate what each will do.
I have i-pilot on my Terrova.
I do not have i-pilot link.

The i-pilot allows you to run a course with the trolling motor, record that course, and then it can automatically take you back over the same course, front to back, or back to front.
You do not need to have a fishfinder/gps hooked up to it.

The i-pilot link does allow you to hook it up to a fishfinder/gps and will work to follow contours, etc.
Far more sophisticated system and more capabilities.

But watch each video on the 2 links above to get a better grasp on things.

Good luck.
Mac

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #46 on: Jun 09, 2017, 10:05 AM »
Thanks Mac. I like all the features that I-Pilot provides and didn't want to have to hook up to the FF at the back of the boat. My Helix doesn't have Link and I don't think my accountant (wife) will approve a new one...lol....h2l

Mac Attack

« Reply #47 on: Jun 09, 2017, 11:55 AM »
The I-pilot is sweet and worth every penny
I use the autopilot feature to steer the boat while trolling
My honda kicker on the stern does 70-80% of the work while the bow mount pulls a little and steers the boat.
And we fish Erie for perch
That typically means deep
Hauling an anchor up in 70+ FOW gets old real fast.
So the spot lock anchor feature on the I-pilot is awesome.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #48 on: Jun 09, 2017, 04:20 PM »
The kicker on the old boat made it very easy to troll and to hold in place but it was a real pain to always be reaching over to control it. If only Minn Kota would put I-Pilot on the Vantage it would be a perfect world....h2l

saltr

« Reply #49 on: Jun 18, 2017, 02:48 PM »
Thanks Guys for all of your help and suggestions. I decided on a minn kota power drive 12V 50lb. thrust. Cabelas had a fathers day sale I took advantage of. I made a temporary stabilizer for the head unit until I see something better. Saltr. Probably an old question, but how do you post pics? Thanks

Mac Attack

« Reply #50 on: Jun 18, 2017, 02:52 PM »

lowaccord66

« Reply #51 on: Jun 19, 2017, 07:56 AM »
So I "tested" my riptide on the mowhawk yesterday when my main wouldn't start....8 or so miles back to the launch with 2 200ah deep cycles..it took a while!

FrankM

« Reply #52 on: Jun 19, 2017, 08:38 AM »
I got to test my Minn Kota Powerdrive with I Pilot on Lake Erie Saturday. I can't believe how long you can troll without hardly putting a dent in the battery. You would think it would suck up a ton of juice with all the steering it was doing. I love how you can set a bearing and just let the thing drive itself.  No noise, no smelly exhaust fumes, totally hands free. The cruise control is great too.  Could not find the walleyes this time. Couldn't even catch a sheepie. Can't wait to try the spot lock on perch.
Kool Aid Kool Aid, Tastes Great, Wish we had some, can't wait.

nitro09

« Reply #53 on: Jun 19, 2017, 09:23 AM »
I fished for many years with a bow mount Motorguide with no issues. I have a Minnkota iPilot now and it works great too. You cannot beat the anchor lock.

I actually miss the foot control sometimes. I used to do a lot of bass fishing and the foot control makes it nice to work a shoreline handsfree. Even working a dropoff jigging for eyes seemed easier with the foot control.

Just my .02

I couldn't agree more. I bought my Lund a few years ago after owning bass boats for over 10 years. It came with a motorguide wireless and I have missed the cable steer since. I just bought a cable steer  motorguide and quick release mount. Now I can switch them out quick and easy. But If had to choose one it would be a cable steer.

Mac Attack

« Reply #54 on: Jun 19, 2017, 09:42 AM »
I got to test my Minn Kota Powerdrive with I Pilot on Lake Erie Saturday. I can't believe how long you can troll without hardly putting a dent in the battery. You would think it would suck up a ton of juice with all the steering it was doing. I love how you can set a bearing and just let the thing drive itself.  No noise, no smelly exhaust fumes, totally hands free. The cruise control is great too.  Could not find the walleyes this time. Couldn't even catch a sheepie. Can't wait to try the spot lock on perch.

You will love the spot lock.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #55 on: Jun 19, 2017, 09:49 AM »
FrankM...just wondering what pound thrust, volts and on what boat....Thanks....h2l

FrankM

« Reply #56 on: Jun 19, 2017, 11:14 AM »
I have a 1985 Grumman 16 foot side console.  With boat, motor and 3 fat passengers the total rig weighs 1875 lb. I got the 12 volt, 55 lb thrust, 54" shaft unit.  It seems to be plenty powerful enough. If the wind is too stiff to troll against I would just drift with the wind and use the electric motor just to steer anyway.
Kool Aid Kool Aid, Tastes Great, Wish we had some, can't wait.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #57 on: Jun 19, 2017, 02:08 PM »
Thanks Frank.....h2l

rondog

« Reply #58 on: Jun 19, 2017, 05:38 PM »
Doug
I'm running the IPilot 85 lb.thrust 24v auto deploy/stow ,it's a dream,I can run a full 8 hrs and have a lot left.The anchor lock holds great when I want to jig without using an anchor.The auto pilot and cruse control is amazing.You mentioned a unit that will follow contour, That's the Motor Guide and it will only work with a Humminturd FF,the snag is the only card it will read is the lake master and it doesn't cover any water in NYS.

lowaccord66

« Reply #59 on: Jun 19, 2017, 07:19 PM »
I went 8 miles yesterday with 55# riptide with ipilot running 2 200 amp hour deep cycles. Happy it got us back.  Doug even at the end of that miserable troll back I was doing 1.5 into 15-20 mph.  Without the wind 2.5-2.5mph seems to be the max with full battery.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.