FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Striper Limits  (Read 2848 times)

caught_the_fever

Striper Limits
« on: Jun 07, 2017, 09:27 PM »
I'd like to preface this post by stating I'm not looking to create any riffs - we're all adults here and people make their own choices.  However, I witnessed a group  pulling a very short striper this evening in the Portland area (3 1/2 in the group - anyone in it will know what I'm talking about).   This fishing season has been solid because those fish that are needed to breed are supposed to be released. 

If someone from this group happens to be reading this, if keeping a short fish is the difference between going hungry and not, then I understand.  However, if tonight was due to not knowing please know any harvested fish must exceed 28".  Based upon the mention from one buddy to another of "pro tips" I'd like to think a pro would know better but perhaps not.  Familiarize yourself with these:  http://maine.gov/dmr/recreational-fishing/regs-tips/documents/2017_striped_bass_regs.pdf

If you know better, please also know you caught a break tonight.  One which will not be extended again.

Sorry if this post brings folks down; not my intent.  Just care about a resource all of us love and we've come off some very lean years.  Know my motivation is coming from this perspective only. 

Thanks!

fish wayniac

Re: Striper Limits
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2017, 05:27 AM »
I saw that happen last year. A guy hooked up , landed a striper that to me looked a couple inches short. He put it in a bag , packed up his gear and left.I caught a plump 25" and 26" that same morning and sent them swimming.I put a refrence mark of 28" on both my saltwater rods. That way I'm not scrambling to find a tape measure. Either some people don't know the regulations or are not true sportsman.

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2017, 08:49 AM »
I've seen guys also accuse guys of keeping shorts that were legal fish...I had a 34" bass laying in kelp at the canal and had some googan try to tell me it was a short.  Sometimes the best policy is ti worry about your own fishing.  Sure if I see blatant poaching that is one thing but I know what my day job is. 

As an aside with continued poor yoy indexes and still a robust commercial fishery we are quickly headed to the next moratorium. 

caught_the_fever

« Reply #3 on: Jun 08, 2017, 02:03 PM »
I've seen guys also accuse guys of keeping shorts that were legal fish...I had a 34" bass laying in kelp at the canal and had some googan try to tell me it was a short.  Sometimes the best policy is ti worry about your own fishing.  Sure if I see blatant poaching that is one thing but I know what my day job is. 

As an aside with continued poor yoy indexes and still a robust commercial fishery we are quickly headed to the next moratorium. 

Iowa-I'm sure that's occurred.  I can definitely state that's not the case here as the fish was at least 2/3 the size it needed to be.  I'd never suggest a guy is an inch short on a 8" trout.  When a striper has to be 28", nearly more than half the leg length of an average person, it's noticeable.  The only benefit of the doubt I'd extend is if these guys were thinking the old slot were still applicable.  Even then, it would have been close.  This was blatant.

I hear you about day jobs - I'll let the guys / gals whose job it is handle it.

seamonkey84

« Reply #4 on: Jun 08, 2017, 09:37 PM »
That would require someone to call in a report as they only have so many people to cover the vast area.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #5 on: Jun 08, 2017, 11:03 PM »
kind of off topic, but I usually call operation game thief (1-800-253-7887) when I see guys bait fishing in FFO waters (or using bait in flowing waters after August 15th) and they do take calls seriously (they refer the calls directly to the warden service), one time I stuck around to wait and see for a Warden to show up (the Warden personally gave me a phone call to clarify where I was) and I got to watch the poachers get busted, was awesome lol.  In most cases, I don't confront people directly as some people deliberately know they are breaking the rules and don't care. 

save the # in your phones and use it when you see violations. 

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Jun 12, 2017, 02:12 PM »
Iowa-I'm sure that's occurred.  I can definitely state that's not the case here as the fish was at least 2/3 the size it needed to be.  I'd never suggest a guy is an inch short on a 8" trout.  When a striper has to be 28", nearly more than half the leg length of an average person, it's noticeable.  The only benefit of the doubt I'd extend is if these guys were thinking the old slot were still applicable.  Even then, it would have been close.  This was blatant.

I hear you about day jobs - I'll let the guys / gals whose job it is handle it.

I hear you and it sucks.  Just another attack on the stripers...the overharvest is going to kill the sport again just like it did in the 70's, although I managed a few in the ditch this weekend.

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 12, 2017, 03:19 PM »
There's a lot of blame to be spread out on the subject, the commercial fishermen down South can share the burden for most of it.

As for measuring your fish, IMO the "Hog Trough" is by far the best measuring board. Nice & smooth, gets a true measure. Any fish that ends up in my boat has at least a 1/2" allowance, even though they're on ice.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hawg-Trough-Measuring-Board/738039.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dfish%2Bmeasuring%2Bboards

As a side note of humor, this old pic. of a guy that apparently didn't know about tides or took a nap on the Saco.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

zwiggles

« Reply #8 on: Jun 12, 2017, 04:43 PM »
That picture is outstanding!

joefishmore

« Reply #9 on: Jun 13, 2017, 08:15 AM »
Are stripers measured  from the end of the tail or to the crotch of the tail ?

gamefisher

« Reply #10 on: Jun 13, 2017, 10:56 AM »
There's a lot of blame to be spread out on the subject, the commercial fishermen down South can share the burden for most of it.

As for measuring your fish, IMO the "Hog Trough" is by far the best measuring board. Nice & smooth, gets a true measure. Any fish that ends up in my boat has at least a 1/2" allowance, even though they're on ice.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hawg-Trough-Measuring-Board/738039.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dfish%2Bmeasuring%2Bboards

As a side note of humor, this old pic. of a guy that apparently didn't know about tides or took a nap on the Saco.

I think that is Wayne and his boat. ;D

fish wayniac

« Reply #11 on: Jun 13, 2017, 11:07 AM »
Not me! I have run across a sandbar at pine point, it wasn't there 5 hours before. Ha Ha!

shrinkage

• I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #12 on: Jun 13, 2017, 11:09 AM »
Saw it happen in Freeport last year, not quite as dramatic but good lesson in knowing an area by scouting at low tide...

gamefisher

« Reply #13 on: Jun 13, 2017, 11:23 AM »
Not me! I have run across a sandbar at pine point, it wasn't there 5 hours before. Ha Ha!

Sorry, Wayne aka bee.  He probably wouldn't be caught dead wasting time on stripers, trolling for trout and salmon is his true passion. :whistling: ;D

bee

« Reply #14 on: Jun 13, 2017, 02:59 PM »
Sorry, Wayne aka bee.  He probably wouldn't be caught dead wasting time on stripers, trolling for trout and salmon is his true passion. :whistling: ;D

Had some guys line caught in my lower unit. He was sitting back in the chair with what looked like a fishing pole strapped to a 2x4. Said he was just out for a troll. Whatever that is.
Hookum & Cookum Otherwise Releaseum

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.