FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Catching Every Fish In the State  (Read 3599 times)

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
Re: Catching Every Fish In the State
« Reply #15 on: Jul 12, 2017, 04:35 PM »
I'd like to catch a Longnose Gar, just a cool fish! I did modify a couple spinnerbaits with nylon rope skirts, doing a couple of hooks and flies just in case I get an opportunity.

Wondering... why isn't the American Shad on your list???
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

greensider

« Reply #16 on: Jul 12, 2017, 07:40 PM »
I just use top water plugs they are to strong and to many teeth to. E messing with rope tangles I will be on champlain this weekend fishing for them might keep one to mount

ShaneO19

« Reply #17 on: Jul 14, 2017, 11:17 PM »
Bowfin best bet = Black Lake

monkeyman2269

« Reply #18 on: Jul 16, 2017, 02:41 PM »
Bowfin any lake Ontario tributaries after dark

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #19 on: Jul 16, 2017, 02:43 PM »
Bowfin,  back waters of Delta lake...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

cpg39

« Reply #20 on: Jul 18, 2017, 07:00 PM »

Wondering... why isn't the American Shad on your list???

I was under the impression that american shad were purely sea-run, and that their spawning cycle had ended this year already. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'd love to catch one of them.  

Also, I managed to catch my first longnose gar on a small shiner under a slip float, and my second just sort of ended up with his teeth wrapped in my line, no where near the hook! and there was a smallmouth on the hook. I still haven't solved that mystery.

cpg39

« Reply #21 on: Jul 18, 2017, 07:15 PM »
Bowfin,back waters of Delta lake...

I wish I could see those pictures, but it gives some error about me having to buy something from photobucket. What are we looking at?

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #22 on: Jul 18, 2017, 08:03 PM »
I was under the impression that american shad were purely sea-run, and that their spawning cycle had ended this year already. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'd love to catch one of them.  

Also, I managed to catch my first longnose gar on a small shiner under a slip float, and my second just sort of ended up with his teeth wrapped in my line, no where near the hook! and there was a smallmouth on the hook. I still haven't solved that mystery.

They are sea-run, the Delaware River has a run, usually in May/early June(NY). Easy to catch if you hit the run, they are a blast!

From what I have learned the longnose gar is hard to actually hook, some use nylon rope, all pulled apart looking like bucktail. The gar's teeth get all hung up in it, better hook up ratio.

Good luck on your quest and keep us posted.
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.