FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Heading to Acadia  (Read 1753 times)

Jfish1

Heading to Acadia
« on: Jun 12, 2017, 11:53 AM »
I'm from Northwest OH and heading to Acadia NP next week.

There's very little information on the web about fishing there so I thought that I would join and see if any of you guys could help me out.

I'll be pulling a camper so I cannot bring a boat. So the best option would be to just fish from the bank.

I see there are a few lakes that have some brookies and browns. Any casting hardware or flies from the bank opportunities?

I've never fished saltwater but would be willing to try.

I was trying to find a guide to do some fishing but about the only option that I see is for smallmouth and it's not even in the park.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
Re: Heading to Acadia
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2017, 07:02 AM »
Hope you have a nice visit!

I've had fun salt water fishing for pollock and mackerel up there.  Casting small spoons off the rocky drop offs at high tide can be real good. 

Quite a few ponds are stocked with trout.  You can check out the stocking list on Maine IF&W's web site.  It may be a little too late into the season for the best shore fishing.

Sea run brook trout in some brooks are another option, but usually need fresh run-off the draw them in.

Jfish1

« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2017, 08:04 AM »
Thanks for that information!

I just found out that we're staying in Winter Harbor at the Acadia NP. I had thought that we were staying on the island.

If I find a spot to cast from the shore for mackerel or pollock, what type of tackle do you recommend? Just a normal rod/reel with 10lb test?

Jim C.

« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2017, 09:10 AM »
Anytime.

There's a pier in Winter Harbor at the Schoodic portion of the park that is good for mackerel at high tide.

Yes.  Spinning rod with 8-10 LB test is fine, with Kastmaster, Little Cleo, and other spoons like that in the 1/4 Ounce size range. 

Thanks for that information!

I just found out that we're staying in Winter Harbor at the Acadia NP. I had thought that we were staying on the island.

If I find a spot to cast from the shore for mackerel or pollock, what type of tackle do you recommend? Just a normal rod/reel with 10lb test?

Jfish1

« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2017, 11:48 AM »
Anytime.

There's a pier in Winter Harbor at the Schoodic portion of the park that is good for mackerel at high tide.

Yes.  Spinning rod with 8-10 LB test is fine, with Kastmaster, Little Cleo, and other spoons like that in the 1/4 Ounce size range. 

Thanks again for info! I'm really looking forward to trying it and getting a possible dinner.

When you say high tide, do you mean that when the tide is rising? Around an hour before it peaks?

Jim C.

« Reply #5 on: Jun 13, 2017, 12:33 PM »
You should be fine 2 hours either side of high tide, coming in or going out. 

Thanks again for info! I'm really looking forward to trying it and getting a possible dinner.

When you say high tide, do you mean that when the tide is rising? Around an hour before it peaks?

Jfish1

« Reply #6 on: Jun 13, 2017, 12:55 PM »
You should be fine 2 hours either side of high tide, coming in or going out. 

Got it. The chamber of commerce said it's early for mackerel but I plan to try anyway.

Jim C.

« Reply #7 on: Jun 13, 2017, 02:02 PM »
Good luck.  We have had warm weather recently, so the mackerel may be starting.  Pollock should be around the rocky shores....look for them there if the pier doesn't go well. 

Got it. The chamber of commerce said it's early for mackerel but I plan to try anyway.

saltyshores

« Reply #8 on: Jun 15, 2017, 08:01 PM »
Call guide Bill Strout at 207-288-4050. He can guide you on brook trout, lake trout, and/or landlocked salmon. He's a good guy.

Good luck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.