FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Mirror Lake Devens  (Read 3036 times)

taxid

Mirror Lake Devens
« on: Jun 15, 2017, 08:21 PM »
Was bank fishing on the lake today as I flew to Mass and therefore didn't bring my boat. Boat rental and swim area is still closed but you can bypass the locked gate with a kayak hopefully with a trolley as it's a good ways down to the water. (A guy told me they moved the gate farther away from the lake.) I walked in paying no fee and had no trouble finding bluegill beds in three places with the largest fish at one group of beds. Most were 7 to 9 inches but one was 10 inches. I caught a few at each stop with a fly rod and a simple black fly. They had little interest in a twister tail panfish jig. All fish were released.

No one else fishing with one guy cruising around on his kayak, a couple and kids swimming in the swimming area, and two girls, a guy and three dogs swimming on the south side of the lake.   

Did some casting with a kastmaster spoon deep off some steep breaks flashing it just off the bottom with no hits. If I had my boat with a down rigger trolling a chrome dodger and sewn on minnow and rubber band release would probably have caught trout all day. Saw a cormorant which can really pack some fish away on the lake. It has to eat too but they are murder on trout in clear water.

Was planning on using an artificial frog on Little Hell Pond but dropped it as I was tying it on and couldn't find it to save my life.  >:(
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

Re: Mirror Lake Devens
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 2017, 04:56 AM »
Went to Mirror Lake yesterday again and along with bluegills with the flyrod targeted trout using a slip bobber set just off the bottom in deep water and casting a Kastmaster spoon reeling it in just off the bottom flashing it. No luck with the trout.

I think if I had been out in a boat trolling it would have been another story.

A guy in a purple kayak landed and released a really large brook trout. He said is was 5 lbs. but I couldn't tell for sure as I was too far away. It was a big fish is all I could tell from the distance I was at. He definitely couldn't get his hand all the way around it.

I'm still struck by the fact that the lily pads and frogs seem to be absent from Little Hell Pond vs. when I lived up the hill. It must be the stained water which seems to be darker than I remember. Reduced light penetration prevents pad shoots from coming up. There must be at least some fish as I saw an otter present.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.