FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ticks in Massachusetts  (Read 2843 times)

JohnQ

Re: Ticks in Massachusetts
« Reply #15 on: Jun 16, 2017, 12:52 PM »
One theory about the large number of ticks this year is a large population of white footed mice which is where the cycle starts from. We have had a large acorn crop the last two autumns and that is what supposedly contributes to the increase in white footed mice. Then comes the increase in ticks. I am in the woods a lot and have never seen the abundance of ticks like this year.

zwiggles

« Reply #16 on: Jun 16, 2017, 01:02 PM »
There's a bunch of good info in this post now which I had not heard before. One other factor (at least on NH) is that ticks, and moose populations have an cyclical relationship. The tick pop will boom until they have literally sucked the life out of the moose, and stunted the population. Then the ticks have no hosts (comparatively), and the tick pop crashes and the moose rebound. And then rinse wash repeat.

lowaccord66

« Reply #17 on: Jun 16, 2017, 02:10 PM »
Thanks taxid, I feel the same way!   ;D. The mark where the bugger that got me this year is still visible...

taxid

« Reply #18 on: Jun 16, 2017, 03:35 PM »
The ticks are moving north.   its has been a pretty obvious progression with ticks moving from more southern latitudes and lower elevations to more northerly latitudes and higher elevations.   They have now spread throughout the champlain valley and are working their way into the higher elevations.    The adk's and Western NY were the last great tickless areas in NY, and that is starting to end.   Just this year I pulled a number of ticks off me from a streambank that was 1500' in elevation where no one had seen ticks in years previous.    I found my first tick in 2000, and by 2004 i was finding them everywhere i fished or hunted in the capital district.

here's a nearly 10 year old article i googled up discussing this http://northernwoodlands.org/articles/article/tale_of_the_tick_how_lyme_disease_is_expanding_northward

Excellent article! And I think it's telling I never saw a deer when I lived in Mass from 68' to 71.'

In case anyone is wondering why I'm not out fishing, today is our wedding anniversary. The wife says go ahead and go fishing. After being married 27 years I know better than that!   ;D

I can just hear it: "But I didn't think you'd take me up on it!"
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #19 on: Jun 16, 2017, 03:38 PM »
Thanks taxid, I feel the same way!   ;D. The mark where the bugger that got me this year is still visible...

I had one in Indiana that I couldn't get completely out. (Only time I've ever had one get that far). Anyway there was a tiny lump there for months!

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

esox_xtm

• It's SHOWTIME!
« Reply #20 on: Jun 16, 2017, 08:02 PM »
Ticks, lots of opinions but no real sound science that I can determine. Farmer's Almanac and other outdoor pundits proclaim a peaking cycle of the buggers this year. Can't say that any of that can be well predicted.

Here in SE WI I can be outside all day trimming trees, picking up brush, walking through tall grass, you name it. I live in the country, wild game and livestock abound and in 20 years I have NEVER had had tick on me from my property. I go north to my Mom's place near Eagle River? 20 minutes outside to grab the mail and talk with the neighbor with that deer population in rebuilding mode and I've got two walkers.

I do not know what drives that life cycle but I do know this. Last several years our November deer hunt yields animals with ticks still attached. Back in the day I used to carry out the average ones (140# +/-) because it was easier than dragging. Despite the fact that I'm much older now, that will never happen again just from the tick perspective. I think a warmer winter has something to do with it but there are other factors (like why can't I find one down by me?).

In the end, if you're outside a quick check is always in order. I keep what hair I have real short so that's easy. Otherwise a couple of mirrors or your hands before/after a shower and you should be good. Worst one I ever saw was one burrowed into my brother's chest after he skipped a shower for one day (up north by Moms). I could barely see the back end of the little bugger and it was really hard to get out. We did OK. My Mom collects the ones she finds every season and tapes 'em to the fridge.... I know, a little weird.

Last item, I've had Bell's palsy and it is more common than you might think. I have never heard that it is a tick borne disease. Mine was triggered by a viral infection that affected those nerves. Total recovery with diligence in self prescribed exercise. My grandma had it back in the 40's and gained recovery though chiropractic intervention. I listened to my mom recount her experience and applied the same techniques myself. Healed....

Not Fish???      Not an Option!!!                                                                  Go Packers !!! 

lowaccord66

« Reply #21 on: Jun 17, 2017, 08:21 AM »

I had one in Indiana that I couldn't get completely out. (Only time I've ever had one get that far). Anyway there was a tiny lump there for months!

That was what happened to me!  Today its just a mark no bump left! 

Baitbucket

« Reply #22 on: Jun 17, 2017, 04:14 PM »
People really should take a minute to educate themselves before passing something that is a pretty serious issue off as a mere inconvenience..

New studies are showing that Lyme and Powassan Virus (fatal) are being passed onto humans in under an hour after being bitten by a tick.
Thats right.. If you go out for a 6-8 hour trip and pick up a tick in the first 4-6hours that latches onto you, theres a good chance it could pass either of these two diseases onto you. Rendering your daily/nightly tick checks useless for the most part. The diseases also range in severity depending on the person bitten and can have life long after effects..

taxid

« Reply #23 on: Jun 18, 2017, 04:51 AM »
People really should take a minute to educate themselves before passing something that is a pretty serious issue off as a mere inconvenience..

New studies are showing that Lyme and Powassan Virus (fatal) are being passed onto humans in under an hour after being bitten by a tick.
Thats right.. If you go out for a 6-8 hour trip and pick up a tick in the first 4-6hours that latches onto you, theres a good chance it could pass either of these two diseases onto you. Rendering your daily/nightly tick checks useless for the most part. The diseases also range in severity depending on the person bitten and can have life long after effects..

Amen to that.

Apparently rolling one's socks up over your pants, and using insect repellent on my shoes, socks, and pants does work as I was walking through a lot of weeds etc yesterday for several hours walking around Mirror Lake, and did not have any ticks on me.

Baitbucket

« Reply #24 on: Jun 18, 2017, 06:39 AM »
Amen to that.

Apparently rolling one's socks up over your pants, and using insect repellent on my shoes, socks, and pants does work as I was walking through a lot of weeds etc yesterday for several hours walking around Mirror Lake, and did not have any ticks on me.

Permethrin is also a great option. You spray your clothes and let it dry. It doesnt repel ticks. It kills them on contact after 5-10 seconds. I have an entire fishing outfit (hat, shirt, pants, socks, shoes, and tackle bag) that i spray with it.  Its best to respray every couple washings.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.